Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
Aug 3, 2016 at 4:16 PM Post #2,536 of 9,829
http://headfonics.com/2016/08/the-andromeda-by-campfire-audio/

That's a great write up, with all those words that I still don't entirely know the meaning of. 

Aug 3, 2016 at 11:05 PM Post #2,537 of 9,829
Anyone tried the new Audioquest Dragonfly with the Andromeda? Just wondering if it's a good pairing (not sure which to get, Red or Black version either)

Aug 4, 2016 at 12:52 AM Post #2,539 of 9,829
I just did actually, a few days ago, crazy enjoyable pairing!! Really punchy and authoritative

Which one did you try, the Black or Red? I'm leaning towards the Red since it has a nicer DAC, but I am wondering if it will be too much power/

Aug 4, 2016 at 3:10 AM Post #2,541 of 9,829
  Sounded fine paired with the Nova. I was listening to the Dragonfly Red if it helps at all.

Cool thanks, so no hiss or anything like that?

Aug 4, 2016 at 4:07 AM Post #2,542 of 9,829
Cool thanks, so no hiss or anything like that?

I have yet to hear anything that the andromeda doesn't hiss with. Ok there are a small handful of things, it hisses slightly with the dragonflies but it is tolerable.

The black has a punchier, harder edged sound that on first listen sounds cleaner, but with the red, you get noticeably better spatial separation, as well as a smoother, more refined, slightly more laid back sound. The red might seem a tad mushy on first listen compared to the black, but on a longer listen, the red is actually more refined and smoother, the black'a "clean" edge starts to sound a bit more digital, harsh and unrefined vs the red.

That Said both are really great value and sound great.

Aug 4, 2016 at 4:30 AM Post #2,543 of 9,829
Ok, so Red isn't too much power then? How much volume do you end up using with it?

Aug 4, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #2,544 of 9,829
I have yet to hear anything that the andromeda doesn't hiss with.
That Said both are really great value and sound great.

The andro doesn't hiss with my AK 380cu. Total silence.

Aug 4, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #2,545 of 9,829
The andro doesn't hiss with my AK 380cu. Total silence.
Well 4K is way more than I'm looking to spend though. Can't decide if I should go DAP or add a small DAC/Amp to my iPhone

Aug 4, 2016 at 2:42 PM Post #2,546 of 9,829
Well 4K is way more than I'm looking to spend though. Can't decide if I should go DAP or add a small DAC/Amp to my iPhone

I believe ExpatinJapan uses a Centrance HifiSkyn with his Andromeda / iPhone combination as well as the Opus #1 DAP, so he may be a good person to comment on the merits of Dac/Amp vs dedicated DAP?

Aug 4, 2016 at 8:26 PM Post #2,548 of 9,829
depends if u like stack?

Not particularly, trying to do something that will fit in pocket, so either a small 2 piece solution or a DAP that doesn't yet exist seem to be my options.

Aug 4, 2016 at 8:26 PM Post #2,549 of 9,829

I carried an X5 / E12A brick around with me for a while and thought it was fine. Since picking up my Questyle, I can't see the reasoning for "carrying" two pieces of gear anymore. SQ wise, there's not a lot under $2K that'll touch it. 

Aug 4, 2016 at 8:58 PM Post #2,550 of 9,829
I used to love my stacks.

No i prefer a one piece such as the hifi skyn (two in one really), or just a dap.

A dongle like the Dragonfly would be ok too(i havent heard the recent versions but the Dragonfly always gets good press).
What phone do you have goldendarko?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back