Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
Aug 5, 2016 at 12:09 PM Post #2,567 of 9,829
How you settle your ZS3
biggrin.gif

Just listen for leisure when i feel like it, i quite like the woofer like bass 
biggrin.gif

Aug 5, 2016 at 2:37 PM Post #2,568 of 9,829
Aug 5, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #2,569 of 9,829
Do anybody know if the people from Campfire on vacation? If sent the a couple of messages and even put in an order for an Andromeda yesterday with 2nd delivery but no response, besides the automated messages. Its probably my own impatience. I'll be in the US next week so I thought to use that opportunity to treat myself. 

Aug 5, 2016 at 3:22 PM Post #2,570 of 9,829
  Do anybody know if the people from Campfire on vacation? If sent the a couple of messages and even put in an order for an Andromeda yesterday with 2nd delivery but no response, besides the automated messages. Its probably my own impatience. I'll be in the US next week so I thought to use that opportunity to treat myself. 

Did you try calling them?

Picked up my Brandy New 846's back from Shure. Now I just need to decide whether to keep them or not. I kinda sorta don't want to part with them. But then it's like, how many pairs of $1K IEM's do I need? Now I understand why some members have multiple pieces of gear...lol

Aug 5, 2016 at 3:33 PM Post #2,571 of 9,829

Did you try calling them?

Picked up my Brandy New 846's back from Shure. Now I just need to decide whether to keep them or not. I kinda sorta don't want to part with them. But then it's like, how many pairs of $1K IEM's do I need? Now I understand why some members have multiple pieces of gear...lol

Nope. Long distance international call I always try to avoid, but it might be the only way. Thanks.

Aug 5, 2016 at 3:35 PM Post #2,572 of 9,829

Nope. Long distance international call I always try to avoid, but it might be the only way. Thanks.

My bad. I forget sometimes that some members are on the other side of the world

Aug 6, 2016 at 8:22 AM Post #2,574 of 9,829

I sat around today playing with my Campfire iems a little saddened that I still cannot locate my Jupiter iems:sob:. On hand I have my Novas and Andromeda iems. For playback I have flac and DSD files loaded in a A&K 320 tied to my Mojo via a Silver dragon cable. I plugged in both my Nova and Andromeda since the Mojo accommodates two iems at once. Loaded some tunes and began listening. The way I exchanged iems while music played I took out one ear replaced that ear with the new iem then loaded the second ear. After 15 minutes I relaxed with no music then repeated the exercise.
This is not a review just made thoughts so there is no pros and cons, what I will say is this right off the bat, if you Can afford the Andromedas BUY them. This is not a knock on the Novas, they are good very good, the Andromedas are great. I have a lot of iems, I wish I had brought them all on this trip, when I get back I will do a comparison of the Novas against some other very good iems I own.

Andromeda Bass - 8.5 to 9.5 out of 10
Bass- tight deep not overblown, transparent and accurate, I believe most of the bass complaints I have read is from folks missing the pumped up bass emphasis many hear in less accurate iems.
Nova Bass - 7.5 out of 10
loses accuracy, slight emphasis in upper bass, loses some transparency especially fingers on plucked bass and resonance.
Andromeda Mids - 9 out of 10
Mids- Glorious airy as accurate as any iem I have heard either at home or at Audio shows. Quad like in its presentation I take that back modern day Quads have an upper mid emphasis I do not like, the Andromeda is more like some of Andy Payor's Rockport designs, airy, accurate and musical without being mushy. Vocals have a rightness to them, I hear live, being a musician I have heard a lot of artist live and in intimate settings that I also listen to over my system when I get home. Seamless is a good word because I do not note any emphasis, like I hear in other iems. On Ella Fitzgerald's "Clap Hands Here Comes Charlie" Ella’s voice sounded very dynamic, natural, and clear. Some of this gets, not lost, but diminished with the Novas.
Nova 7 out of 10
Mids lose some life compared to the Andromeda (which is to be expected) I attribute that to reduction of transparency and air, still very good. If I didn't have the Andromeda and JH Audio 16's I would be quite happy. I am very interested in comparing the Novas to the much more expensive Roxannes which I have at home ( I happen to like my custom 16's better than the Roxannes, but I favor the Andromedas over both).
Andromeda highs 9 out of 10
Highs- airy, revealing, not over emphasized, blends perfectly to give this iem the perfect balance top to bottom. The difference between the two iems from the midrange to the top of the treble range became very apparent when listening to Rebecca Pigeon's "the Raven" DSD. Orchestra and small ensemble work such as Khachaturian: Gayane demonstrate the Andromeda's ability to capture the beauty, speed, and transient response of the violin and the realistic timbre and dynamics of various brass instruments in a real space was on fullest display. The superb timing of this performance was felt to a greater degree than I’d previously heard in other iems.
Nova 6.5 - 7 out of 10
A significant drop off in this region, while still good, the difference is very apparent. If you only have the Novas it really doesn't matter because I believe you will be quite happy with them unless you like bumped up bass or a more exaggerated sound.
Andromeda soundstage (current state of iems) 10 of 10
The best I have heard in an iem wide and noticeable.
Nova 7 out of 10
Less but good.

OK said more then I intended, this is only my opinion. I give both iems a thumbs up, putting the Andromeda iem at the top of the current crop of iems, that I have listened to. Once I listen to the Andromeda it's hard to step down to the Nova without a little break in between. If l leave the Andromeda home for the day, I am very happy listening to the Nova. Sorry about the bad image just wanted to show the setup.

My systems:
Portable: AK320 with Chord Mojo, Apple IPhone with Mojo, Pono Player
Headphones and iems: Audeze LCDX, Oppo PM3, Kingsound electrostatic, Final Audio Hope VI, Sennheisser 650
Current iems: JH Audio custom 16s, Roxanne, Dunu 2000j, Nuforce Primo 8, Final heaven aging V, etc.
Music Flac files or DSD
Big Rig:
Speakers Vapor Audio Joule (customized with Dueland RS caps)
AMP: Odyssey Kismet Monos with Custom Kismet preamp
Cables: Verastarr Solid Silver
Transports: Antipodes DX and PS Audio PWT
DAC: PS Audio Direct Stream

How do the Andromeda compare to the DN-2000J?

Aug 6, 2016 at 8:39 AM Post #2,575 of 9,829
@eugene2, I don't remember reading your review above but finds myself agreeing everything you said. I also appreciate your comparison to the Nova. I have the JH 13 Fp but also prefer the Andromeda. Very good description about the bass difference between the andro and the Nova.

Aug 7, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #2,576 of 9,829
I have tried chord mojo, fiio range with andromeda and all of them it sound darker. Does the dragon fly red make it sound darker too? I meant the tonality seems darker in comparison to direct iPhone 6 headphone out. I would love the treble to be as bright as iPhone 6 but improving other aspect.

Aug 7, 2016 at 4:43 PM Post #2,577 of 9,829
The Dragonfly Red sounds very different from the iPhone 6 when using Andro. The Andro is affected by output Z like no other phone I've ever come across and it can come across as thinner and brigh(er) to thick and warm(er). The DFR pairing definitely feels thick and warmish to me, with pretty explosive bass, however, the treble still comes across as quite sparkly and articulate. The overall sound feels very smooth and "analogue." I heard from SGS that the DFR is a much better pairing with Andro than the Mojo. I overall prefer the Andro with sources like the iPhone 6 and ZX2. The iPhone 6 and ZX2 actually sound very, very similar to me (when all the DSP crap is turned off on the ZX2), except there's more residual glare to the iPhone's sound vs. ZX2 over longer listening sessions. 

Aug 7, 2016 at 9:05 PM Post #2,579 of 9,829
Thanks, I might try the dfr. Agreed on the pairing. The tonality swing a lot depending on the source so much so that I could hardly believe my ears. I can make it sound like k10 ciem if I went for chord mojo. Very very source dependent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back