Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
Jun 23, 2016 at 8:47 AM Post #1,685 of 9,829
Can someone suggest a dap that can pair with andromeda on which it can make me super feel the electric guitars/guitars. Below thousand dollars

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

AK300, great pairing with Jupiter.

Thanks!! I will also try Ak70 when available...DX80 is too Warm!! and smooth!

Jun 23, 2016 at 8:52 AM Post #1,687 of 9,829
Can someone suggest a dap that can pair with andromeda on which it can make me super feel the electric guitars/guitars. Below thousand dollars

Lotoo PAW Gold

Jun 23, 2016 at 9:01 AM Post #1,688 of 9,829

Lotoo PAW Gold

If you know one below $1K...please shoot me a pm
biggrin.gif

Jun 23, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #1,692 of 9,829
After my first write up and listening insistently for almost 2 weeks I think I have changed my opinion about the Nova's.  I had two initial major complaints with the Nova's - Fit and Bass.  

The fit doesn't bother me as much as it used to now that I have gotten used to them.  The edges don't rub me even when I wear them for 4-5 hours straight.

The bass has really come alive.  I don't know if because I burned them in (I am not sure that I believe that this makes a difference) or more importantly I found the right tips.  I CANNOT believe the difference the tips make on these IEMs.  I have tried between 10-15 different tips and the Spinfits and modified Comply tips are the only two that produce bass.  I am currently using Comply (non-wax guard) tips that I cut the ends off of to make them shorter to fit better.  It took me two tries to get it right but man what a difference it made.  The stock rubber tips that came with the set just didn't produce the sound that I liked even though the hole in them were the biggest.  The Spinfit tips have a small hole but for whatever reason they sound as good as the Comply tips. 

My initial write up was 4.5 stars but after two more weeks of listening to these and comparing them to my other IEMs these really are the best set that I have.  I personally would give these 5 stars now that the bass has really come alive (not V shaped but punchy and nice) and the fit I have gotten used to.

Jun 23, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #1,693 of 9,829
Thanks! I will try if available also the Ak70, DX80 is too warm..and smooth..but the bass is amazing....:)

Not so sure you're going to get more out of the recording then intended unless you equalize the recording. You may want to try an outboard ampdac such as the Chord Mojo. I find it mates well between my AK320 and Andromeda.
As far as BA break in not sure, I definitely feel something happens over time whether it's placebo like or electrical due to some electrical or physical phenomenon:blush::notes:. BA equipped iems have several parts an armature that moves and drives a diaphragm at the top of the receiver using a drive pin, there's a coil that the audio signal goes through, this coil wraps around the armature, the top of the armature is fixed while the bottom moves up and down, the drive pin moves the electrical signal to the diaphragm, the movement of the diaphragm controls the volume of air above the diaphragm that produces the sound etc., you get the picture, there's a lot of moving parts... (Not all BAs are not created equally Campfire may design their BAs differently check the website). Do these loosen up over time, does the hard shell soften a bit or are the cables breaking in (ok, ok engineers calm down). Hell, I don't know, I just believe my Andromedas sound better over time. One thing I will tell you do not drop your BAs because you can damage them, then they will definitely sound different!
Many people do not believe in cable break in, I do that's why I always tell my friends your opinion of what you hear and like is most important when it comes to this hobby. Some folks believe that all amplifiers that measure the same sound the same, personally I couldn't hear the difference between the AK 320 and AK380 they have the same DAC and Amp, so I bought the AK320 I don't need the higher sampling rate. While my buddy told me the AK380 sounds a lot better. There you go don't trust my opinion, trust yours.
One thing I left out of my earlier Nova/Andromeda rant, my outer ear does hurt after about an hour and after I take them out. I insert aggressively twisting them after insertion to get a proper seal, so maybe that's why not sure just know they are quite sore. Other then that I am quite happy playing with both the Novas and Andromedas

Jun 23, 2016 at 12:43 PM Post #1,694 of 9,829
  How does the Nova match up to SE535/W30/UE900s? I have a aurisonic forte and I kinda want to switch from the extra bass to a more balanced sound.

I like the Nova more than the UE900. Haven't heard the SE535 or W30 unfortunately. Nova seems to have less bass presence than the UE900, but more importantly, it feels clearer than the UE900. Might have just been what I was listening with, but the UE900 sounded a little muffled and certainly not as clear as the Nova. Equally thick body, but the thickness is from the mids in the Nova while it seems to just be the slight muffling in the UE900.

Having said all that, I suggest you take what I say with a grain of salt because I'm comparing from memory; I don't have a UE900 on hand.

Jun 23, 2016 at 1:57 PM Post #1,695 of 9,829
  After my first write up and listening insistently for almost 2 weeks I think I have changed my opinion about the Nova's.  I had two initial major complaints with the Nova's - Fit and Bass.  

The fit doesn't bother me as much as it used to now that I have gotten used to them.  The edges don't rub me even when I wear them for 4-5 hours straight.

The bass has really come alive.  I don't know if because I burned them in (I am not sure that I believe that this makes a difference) or more importantly I found the right tips.  I CANNOT believe the difference the tips make on these IEMs.  I have tried between 10-15 different tips and the Spinfits and modified Comply tips are the only two that produce bass.  I am currently using Comply (non-wax guard) tips that I cut the ends off of to make them shorter to fit better.  It took me two tries to get it right but man what a difference it made.  The stock rubber tips that came with the set just didn't produce the sound that I liked even though the hole in them were the biggest.  The Spinfit tips have a small hole but for whatever reason they sound as good as the Comply tips. 

My initial write up was 4.5 stars but after two more weeks of listening to these and comparing them to my other IEMs these really are the best set that I have.  I personally would give these 5 stars now that the bass has really come alive (not V shaped but punchy and nice) and the fit I have gotten used to.

Just a few hours ago, I laid down on my bed and plugged in the Nova to my Mojo+X3ii rig, didn't realize I fell asleep with them on my ears for more than an hour. Haha! I wasn't tired at all. It was just the soothing sound coming from the Nova that helped me relax, adding the smoothness of the Mojo then I was knocked out. I'm starting to love these IEM and I would want to explore more on the CA lineup, especially the Andromeda if budget permits so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back