Campfire Audio - Holocene and Mammoth
Jul 29, 2021 at 3:29 PM Post #271 of 332
Jul 29, 2021 at 4:17 PM Post #272 of 332
I sent mine back the other day as well. Now I’m trying to decide if I want the solstice or the equinox… think I may go down the custom rabbit hole

Jul 31, 2021 at 1:19 AM Post #273 of 332
One can look into a graph for too long. The Mammoth have a very beautiful, natural, and clear treble. It never sounds dark or muddy, unless the original track was dark and muddy. I have heard many truly dark headphones, and this is not one of them. I almost hate dark headphones unless there is something unique to save them from their overt warm signature.

Also, the Mammoth is the Mammoth. I must say that if you are comparing it with a Solaris, it is doing more than well. I *personally* love its bass tonality, so the biocellulose DD driver is a success in my experience. It is not cheap, but it is not outrageously expensive new-in-box, sealed. "But you can find an used Solaris almost at that price" is a not so logical conclusion, IMHO.

Vocals are not hazy or distant. Must be my ears, but I am not experiencing these "problems" with the Mammoth. I am sure some tracks with recessed vocals will sound recessed.

This is actually intended for new readers looking for info on the Mammoth, and for Campfire Audio themselves if they get to read this thread at some point. I understand the point of the Mammoth, and am glad I purchased them. I was expecting a bass monster, and yes it's bassy, but it more than shattered my expectations in a positive way.

I think the Mammoth idea should not be thrown away. I prefer this over a Polaris signature (to each their own, of course). There can be different styles of bassy IEMs at this price point-my humble opinion, for what it's worth. Bassy Vs, bassy Ls, and bassy Ws (Mammoth) have their place, as do neutral reference earphones. Love listening to classical and many non-bassy genres with the Mammoth.

My only caveat is that I have many lower priced and "mid-priced" (i.e. very expensive for my budget) headphones and earphones, and am not able to afford the most expensive audio equipment. But I am also quite firmly convinced you do not need to spend thousands and thousands for a beautiful, immersive audio experience. So for some of us that love great audio but cannot afford all we want, IEMs such as the Holocene and Mammoth make perfect sense, and are a great fit. "Wait 'til you hear this"-I may never hear it due to pricing, and I generally "only" buy new or as-new, open box items. So I am sure many will find fault with my pauper's audio gear, but I know what I like, and have loved music since forever (which of course doesn't mean what I like is better than someone else's preference.)

Be well, and enjoy your music with your favorite gear and 'phones. Like and dislike what you do.

None of the above is aimed at any poster in this thread, so please do not feel offended.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2021 at 2:16 AM Post #274 of 332
One can look into a graph for too long. The Mammoth have a very beautiful, natural, and clear treble. It never sounds dark or muddy, unless the original track was dark and muddy. I have heard many truly dark headphones, and this is not one of them. I almost hate dark headphones unless there is something unique to save them from their overt warm signature.

Also, the Mammoth is the Mammoth. I must say that if you are comparing it with a Solaris, it is doing more than well. I *personally* love its bass tonality, so the biocellulose DD driver is a success in my experience. It is not cheap, but it is not outrageously expensive new-in-box, sealed. "But you can find an used Solaris used almost at that price" is a not so logical conclusion, IMHO.

Vocals are not hazy or distant. Must be my ears, but I am not experiencing these "problems" with the Mammoth. I am sure some tracks with recessed vocals will sound recessed.

This is actually intended for new readers looking for info on the Mammoth, and for Campfire Audio themselves if they get to read this thread at some point. I understand the point of the Mammoth, and am glad I purchased them. I was expecting a bass monster, and yes it's bassy, but it more than shattered my expectations in a positive way.

I think the Mammoth idea should not be thrown away. I prefer this over a Polaris signature (to each their own, of course). They should be two different styles of bassy IEMs at this price point-my humble opinion, for what it's worth. Bassy Vs, bassy Ls, and bassy Ws (Mammoth) have their place, as do neutral reference earphones. Love listening to classical and many non-bassy genres with the Mammoth.

My only caveat is that I have many lower priced and "mid-priced" (i.e. very expensive for my budget) headphones and earphones, and am not able to afford the most expensive audio equipment. But I am also quite firmly convinced you do not need to spend thousands and thousands for a beautiful, immersive audio experience. So for some of us that love great audio but cannot afford all we want, IEMs such as the Holocene and Mammoth make perfect sense, and are a great fit. "Wait 'til you hear this"-I may never hear it due to pricing, and I generally "only" buy new or as-new, open box items.

Be well, and enjoy your music with your favorite gear and 'phones. Like and dislike what you do.

None of the above is aimed at any poster in this thread, so please do not feel offended.
Well said!

Jul 31, 2021 at 4:24 AM Post #275 of 332

Also, the Mammoth is the Mammoth. I must say that if you are comparing it with a Solaris, it is doing more than well. I *personally* love its bass tonality, so the biocellulose DD driver is a success in my experience. It is not cheap, but it is not outrageously expensive new-in-box, sealed. "But you can find an used Solaris used almost at that price" is a not so logical conclusion, IMHO.

I think the Mammoth idea should not be thrown away. I prefer this over a Polaris signature (to each their own, of course). They should be two different styles of bassy IEMs at this price point-my humble opinion, for what it's worth. Bassy Vs, bassy Ls, and bassy Ws (Mammoth) have their place, as do neutral reference earphones. Love listening to classical and many non-bassy genres with the Mammoth.

My only caveat is that I have many lower priced and "mid-priced" (i.e. very expensive for my budget) headphones and earphones, and am not able to afford the most expensive audio equipment. But I am also quite firmly convinced you do not need to spend thousands and thousands for a beautiful, immersive audio experience. So for some of us that love great audio but cannot afford all we want, IEMs such as the Holocene and Mammoth make perfect sense, and are a great fit. "Wait 'til you hear this"-I may never hear it due to pricing, and I generally "only" buy new or as-new, open box items.

Very helpful to get both perspectives

Aug 2, 2021 at 4:33 PM Post #276 of 332
Incoming!

IMG_5612.jpg

Aug 3, 2021 at 11:20 AM Post #279 of 332
Aug 14, 2021 at 10:52 AM Post #281 of 332
Here are a couple attempts to capture the "glow-in-the-dark"ness of the Holocene & Cable.\

Warm tubular glows & the Cayin N3Pro...
1C7824DD-2E02-4581-83B0-CFD945A82568.JPEG

With the Shanling M8
CA82B0ED-A46A-4F25-9FD8-18FC246C5692.JPEG

Aug 14, 2021 at 5:10 PM Post #282 of 332
Here are a couple attempts to capture the "glow-in-the-dark"ness of the Holocene & Cable.\

Warm tubular glows & the Cayin N3Pro...

With the Shanling M8
That color combination works better that I expected.

Aug 14, 2021 at 9:15 PM Post #283 of 332
Were it not for money concerns, I would also add the Holocene to my collection! Looks beautiful. Must have a gorgeous top end, though the graph does show some recession on the mids. Should still sound coherent and likely to my taste.

Still love the Mammoth. Has been a month, and I think I have used them everyday since (have also been commuting a lot, daily even.) One of my favorites at this point.

I do not understand why some hate the "glow in the dark" feature-it doesn't add anything to the sound for sure, but it doesn't make them sound worse or toys either. It really works anyway, and has been useful in my experience, for both the IEMs and the case. Not essential, but no reason it should be deemed a "con". A matter of preference, as usual...

Hope you are enjoying the Holocene's sound, Mr. Rockwell!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back