Campfire Audio - Holocene and Mammoth
Nov 15, 2021 at 3:47 PM Post #316 of 332
So, here's what I want to know about Holocene: Given that ChiFi is blowing up any notions of what constitutes a good value for money, is a $600 Campfire remotely competitive with a $300 Blessing 2, let alone a $600 ChiFi IEM?

Nov 15, 2021 at 4:37 PM Post #317 of 332
So, here's what I want to know about Holocene: Given that ChiFi is blowing up any notions of what constitutes a good value for money, is a $600 Campfire remotely competitive with a $300 Blessing 2, let alone a $600 ChiFi IEM?
Do you get the same after service support with $600 ChiFi and the same satisfaction from not funnelling money into the CCP?... I think not.

Nov 15, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #318 of 332
Do you get the same after service support with $600 ChiFi and the same satisfaction from not funnelling money into the CCP?... I think not.
Those were both factors in my recent decision to buy Etymotics. It helped, though, that by all accounts my ER4XRs are in fact competitive for the price I bought them.

Dec 22, 2021 at 6:57 PM Post #322 of 332
Everyone's a bit of a basshead deep inside, so it will be no surprise that I take some pleasure in reviewing basshead IEMs, and headphones, today's star being the Mammoth IEM from Campfire Audio, an IEM made to shake the ground wherever it walks!!

It has the same ergonomics as the Holocene and Ara, but it has a totally different sonic presentation, focused on both the impact, depth and wide stage, and being smooth up top, for less fatigue and long-term listening comfort. More comparisons, pairings and info in the full written review down below~

https://www.audiophile-heaven.com/2021/12/campfire-mammoth-supreme-lows-impact.html

Campfire-Audio-Mammoth-IEMs-Earphones-CIMEs-Cable-Review-Audiophile-Heaven-14.jpg

Mar 15, 2022 at 2:07 PM Post #323 of 332
Hope all of you guys are doing well.
I have been working on the Holocene for a while, and guess what, this is a seriously underrated giant killer, what matters is the Source. If you can pair it well, this IEM is an absolute beast and deserves a lot more love than its Competitors like DUNU SA6 and Thieaudio Monarch.
The level of maturity shown by this IEM is simply exceptional.
Here is my comparison with DUNU SA6.

I hope its helpful.

Mar 30, 2022 at 3:20 PM Post #324 of 332
Going back to this thread yet again to reaffirm how good the Spiral Dot++ are paired with the Mammoth-I have been comparing 3 tips all day today. However, a rather shallow fit is desirable, to my ears, to let the air/upper treble breathe better. And remember not to push the Spiral Dot too far into the nozzle-a "normal" fit will do, where you will see all three spiral dots, and the base of the tips do not go into the wider section. Spiral Dot tend to have a very flexible core, so if you do a deep insertion to push up the mids a bit more, the base is likely to go too deep into the nozzle, eliminating at least one "dot". It can sound good to someone this way, but worth noting. The Spiral Dot++ do not kill their bass, but it sounds "Mammoth-normal", not bloated, and the mids get lots of detail-and with a shallow insertion you will get a lot from the highs balanced armature (which some may have found not as clear as one would expect.)

(The well-known measurements out there do not do the treble justice. They are not about maximum resolution, but hardly sound dead/dull at the top. However, many tips tend to dull their delicate top end, so bear it in mind.)

(Out of the box, the the treble is also fine with the included silicon tips, though bass is very slightly reduced, and they are a bit "too soft." But I did like their sound overall-Spiral Dot++ is "better" IMHO, if you want to try something else, though not cheap-Xelastec also did well IME, though the Dots are worth trying out for this particular IEM.)

Would be nice to have an Holocene, but I think that my Jupiter may fill their niche with a slightly different tuning. Wish someone made a proper comparison of these two IEMs.

May 17, 2022 at 9:01 AM Post #325 of 332
Regret buying my set of mammoths - didn't do my homework this time around on Campfire Audio and didn't realise how distinctly coloured their mid-range offerings are. Just went on the basis of build quality from a set of full size campfire cascades I tried in the past and like those, the mammoths dont disappoint.

May 17, 2022 at 9:07 AM Post #327 of 332
Regret buying my set of mammoths - didn't do my homework this time around on Campfire Audio and didn't realise how distinctly coloured their mid-range offerings are. Just went on the basis of build quality from a set of full size campfire cascades I tried in the past and like those, the mammoths dont disappoint.
I was disappointed like you when I listened to them for the first couple of days, then I gave them some burn (about 72 hrs) and replaced stock tips with Sedna Xelastec. Now I am happy with them and I think I found a good alternative to my Fiio FH7

Jun 16, 2022 at 11:53 AM Post #328 of 332
I was disappointed like you when I listened to them for the first couple of days, then I gave them some burn (about 72 hrs) and replaced stock tips with Sedna Xelastec. Now I am happy with them and I think I found a good alternative to my Fiio FH7
Thanks for the suggestion - picked up Sedna Xelastec tips and found they’re the best I’ve tried. Really enjoying the fit.

Jun 19, 2022 at 4:35 PM Post #330 of 332
Thanks for the suggestion - picked up Sedna Xelastec tips and found they’re the best I’ve tried. Really enjoying the fit.

Glad to hear that!

Xelastics work great with Campfire stuff, especially the shells that the Holocene, Mammoth, Ara, and Andromea Gold use with the slightly longer nozzle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back