10375283.png
:imp:

Last edited:
May 15, 2020 at 3:09 PM Post #34 of 316
Can it be flatter than this?
auX8JNJqiOg7dL1CUzUlOrezF2cGaY__LpYwaClDoE3kxnae0W2gEahHAk8
10375283.png
:imp:

This was a 3BA setup sold in Japan right? What's your implied relation of this to Ara? Just curious :)

Indeed the flatness is impressive...

Last edited:
May 16, 2020 at 3:29 AM Post #35 of 316
This was a 3BA setup sold in Japan right? What's your implied relation of this to Ara? Just curious :)

Indeed the flatness is impressive...
Yes! It's the anniversary special edition. Japan limited. Sorry for the vagueness. I was referring to this post earlier by Rockwell75:
If you watch the interview Jude did with KB and Caleb the Ara is described as the flattest most reference IEM in their lineup...which will indeed be a boon for many.
Though FR chart tells only half the truth, I'm excited to hear how the Ara sounds (flat or not). 4 drivers for the lows, yet not bloating the bass. That's amazing. And the aluminium touch is also intriguing.

Last edited:
May 19, 2020 at 11:22 PM Post #36 of 316
I’d love to hear the Ara, but I suspect I’d hear the flat bass as lacking. One IEM I own with a fairly flat bass is the SE425 which people hailed as neutral - but I truly thought they were broken at times since the bass was so faint as compared to every other IEM I’ve heard. Ultimately, they were not very popular.

Hopefully I’m wrong about the Ara.

Is there any other popular IEM with a similar frequency response as the Ara?

May 20, 2020 at 2:06 AM Post #37 of 316
I’d love to hear the Ara, but I suspect I’d hear the flat bass as lacking. One IEM I own with a fairly flat bass is the SE425 which people hailed as neutral - but I truly thought they were broken at times since the bass was so faint as compared to every other IEM I’ve heard. Ultimately, they were not very popular.

I kind of share the thoughts about this, as I own the se425 as well. But their website mentions "the right touch of warmth and richness " so I guess the tuning will be different. And ARA covers a wider range of frequency as well.

I'm not that worried about their tuning actually, but I am about sound stage.

May 22, 2020 at 11:42 AM Post #38 of 316

For those wondering about the graph.

May 23, 2020 at 9:34 AM Post #39 of 316
Has anyone noticed that ARA has only 93 dB SPL/mW sensitivity? That‘s almost 20dB less than Andromeda, or in another words, you need 100 times (yes, 100) more power to get to the same volume level as with Andromeda. Andromeda G was nothing like that, it was close to standard Andromeda... ARA on the other hand has sensitivity similar to the old school planars and will need some JUICE...

Last edited:
May 23, 2020 at 9:48 AM Post #40 of 316
Has anyone noticed that ARA has only 93 dB SPL/mW sensitivity? That‘s almost 20dB less than Andromeda, or in another words, you need 100 times (yes, 100) more power to get to the same volume level as with Andromeda. Andromeda G was nothing like that, it was close to standard Andromeda... ARA on the other hand has sensitivity similar to the old school planars and will need some JUICE...
That’s awesome news actually, it won’t hiss off legit every ****ing source on the planet

May 23, 2020 at 9:54 AM Post #42 of 316
Yes, but with such a bad sensitivity it won‘t be usable (or barely) with most mobile devices neither...
Would you be driving 1300$ IEMs with a phone though? Even the least powerful dongles and DAPs can run that pretty comfortably

May 23, 2020 at 10:04 AM Post #43 of 316
Would you be driving 1300$ IEMs with a phone though? Even the least powerful dongles and DAPs can run that pretty comfortably
I‘m not talking about a phone, even some pretty commonly used DACs would suffer. E.g., I have an DFR/DFC with SE846 (20 dB better sensitivity than ARA) and ifi iematch. At the highes damping setting, iematch‘s damping factor is 24 dB, which puts a combination of iematch(highest damping)+SE846 into the same range as ARA. Well, neither DFR nor DFC can drive it without distortion. They can provide up to 2V, but because of the low impedance of the iematch (same as ARA) they just can‘t source the current and start clipping.

Or another example: Aeon Flow has an impedance of 13Ohm and sensitivity of 95 dB, which represents a very similar load. A DFR/DFC reportedly cannot drive it without distortions. But those are some big planars....

93dB is a ridiculously bad sensitivity for an IEM, hope that‘s just a typo...

Last edited:
May 23, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #45 of 316
Ara is super easy to drive off the Cayin N6ii. Volume rarely goes past 35 in low gain on E02 and T01. It doesn't need the juice you think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back