Campfire Audio Ara
Mar 8, 2021 at 2:43 AM Post #271 of 316
Anbody heard both Ara and AG? Any thoughts on the "Crossover-less driver design" compared to campfires other iems?

@ExpatinJapan has I think. I just borrowed the Ara Japan loaner from him. I haven't experimented enough, but without a crossover, there are no capacitors to "burn in" and possibly change the sound in the initial few (50?) hours. Also, the effect of using gear that has a higher than a couple of Ohms output impedance would change, depending on the impedance of the drivers. If any of the drivers have a very low impedance, then the FR of the IEMs will be effected. Most people wont experience anything like this though.

Here's the impressions video that I posted a couple of days ago:

Oct 15, 2021 at 7:14 AM Post #272 of 316
What is the most detailed, yet still musically enjoyable Earphone you heard to date? I have to say, I'm thinking about Ara from Campfire Audio many times when this questions pops up, so I decided to make a full in-depth written review about it!

Today's review focuses on an IEM with such incredible detail and agility in their sound, and such great imaging / instrument separation that you think at times that you're listening to mini speakers! They also have a handmade carrying case, Final Audio tips, and a crossover-less design with 7 Drivers! All made in the USA, except for the case, and that's made in Portugal.

What's even better, they are comfortable, look edgy / nice, and in that darker silver color you're set to find some good clean fun with Ara. I'm around to answer questions, and don't worry, the review includes 5 comparisons with some of the best competitors I could find! Pairings with 3 sources, as well as many other details from my usage experience in the full review~

https://www.audiophile-heaven.com/2021/10/campfire-ara-iems-scientist-of-music.html

Campfire-Audio-Ara-IEMs-Earphones-7-Drivers-No-Crossover-Detailed-analytical-Review-Audiophile...jpg

Oct 15, 2021 at 8:26 AM Post #273 of 316
When I bought the Ara as an upgrade to the green Andromedia and a more detailed and neutral version of the Andromeda Gold (7 BA drivers no crossover just like the Ara) it did not disappoint living up to that standard. Subjectively, I found the Ara IEM’s had a new sound sig, almost like @KB created an IEM with a HD800s and LCD-X hybrid sound. As the HD800s, they will expose bad recordings, and/or poorly sound engineered recordings. If you have other high priced Campfire IEM’s, this fits perfectly into an IEM that could be used by sound engineers or critical music listeners. Also, to my ears, they also were gear dependent, meaning they won’t sound their best out of phone or a laptop headphone output, basically I found the Ara to scale and scale with better gear, I find that an Impressive feat by @KB and Campfire team. Also this is one beautify shell with the titanium.

Oct 15, 2021 at 8:28 AM Post #274 of 316
When I bought the Ara as an upgrade to the green Andromedia and a more detailed and neutral version of the Andromeda Gold (7 BA drivers no crossover just like the Ara) it did not disappoint living up to that standard. Subjectively, I found the Ara IEM’s had a new sound sig, almost like @KB created an IEM with a HD800s and LCD-X hybrid sound. As the HD800s, they will expose bad recordings, and/or poorly sound engineered recordings. If you have other high priced Campfire IEM’s, this fits perfectly into an IEM that could be used by sound engineers or critical music listeners. Also, to my ears, they also were gear dependent, meaning they won’t sound their best out of phone or a laptop headphone output, basically I found the Ara to scale and scale with better gear, I find that an Impressive feat by @KB and Campfire team. Also this is one beautify shell with the titanium.

I agree entirely, if you want to really listen to Ara, you need a good source :)

Also your description fits pretty well, that's about how they sound, but with a bit more bass on Astell Kern DAPs, HD800S has always been a bit too thin for me, Ara does not feel too thin and has enough bass when properly powered

Oct 15, 2021 at 8:38 AM Post #275 of 316
What is the most detailed, yet still musically enjoyable Earphone you heard to date? I have to say, I'm thinking about Ara from Campfire Audio many times when this questions pops up, so I decided to make a full in-depth written review about it!

Today's review focuses on an IEM with such incredible detail and agility in their sound, and such great imaging / instrument separation that you think at times that you're listening to mini speakers! They also have a handmade carrying case, Final Audio tips, and a crossover-less design with 7 Drivers! All made in the USA, except for the case, and that's made in Portugal.

What's even better, they are comfortable, look edgy / nice, and in that darker silver color you're set to find some good clean fun with Ara. I'm around to answer questions, and don't worry, the review includes 5 comparisons with some of the best competitors I could find! Pairings with 3 sources, as well as many other details from my usage experience in the full review~

https://www.audiophile-heaven.com/2021/10/campfire-ara-iems-scientist-of-music.html

Campfire-Audio-Ara-IEMs-Earphones-7-Drivers-No-Crossover-Detailed-analytical-Review-Audiophile...jpg

I just finished reading your review and it was one of the best Ara reviews I’ve read to date. I highly recommend a read as I found the article a fair and balanced take on how the Ara stacks up to other similar priced IEM’s and different sources.

👍👍

Oct 15, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #276 of 316
Campfire Audio Ara are very informative: literally every track shines with details, but the low end, with an eye on the 4 allocated for the bass of the emitter, is critically lacking in places. They are mega-legible, but on some records you want more massiveness and juiciness.
The middle is pleasant, rich and does not cause any questions - the headphones sound the way the in-ear monitors of the highest segment should sound in this range

Oct 15, 2021 at 4:35 PM Post #277 of 316
I just finished reading your review and it was one of the best Ara reviews I’ve read to date. I highly recommend a read as I found the article a fair and balanced take on how the Ara stacks up to other similar priced IEM’s and different sources.

👍👍

Thank you so much, and I'm always really happy to help!

Campfire Audio Ara are very informative: literally every track shines with details, but the low end, with an eye on the 4 allocated for the bass of the emitter, is critically lacking in places. They are mega-legible, but on some records you want more massiveness and juiciness.
The middle is pleasant, rich and does not cause any questions - the headphones sound the way the in-ear monitors of the highest segment should sound in this range

I experienced this on poorly matched sources, especially on high end sources, but with a slightly higher output impedance. It can happen because Ara has a really low impedance. Same thing happened to me with headphones with really low impedance like Verum One.

With SE180 from Astell & Kern, they are sublime, the bass is still not basshead in quantity, but it is not lacking. I do own headphones where the bass is too low for me too, so I'm not exactly into sound with too little bass.

Even with a lower level DAP, you can add some bass via EQ, Ara has good headroom, it responds well to EQ. If you can try them with an A&K DAP or with some EQ, the bass remains really clean and natural, shuld make them more fun :)

Nov 29, 2021 at 8:40 PM Post #278 of 316
Well, I took advantage of Campfire Audio's Black Friday / cyber Monday sale and ordered a set of the ARA's. Cant wait to get them in and give them a listen. I have a set of the Andromeda Gold Titanium from the Multiverse sales and they are awesome! I will be listening with an A&K SR25 as well as an iFi Hip Dac2 for my iPhone and iPad, and an iFi ZenDac2 for my MacBook Pro. Will do a compare / contrast post once I receive the Ara's and have given both of them some listening time!

Nov 29, 2021 at 8:59 PM Post #279 of 316
Well, I took advantage of Campfire Audio's Black Friday / cyber Monday sale and ordered a set of the ARA's. Cant wait to get them in and give them a listen. I have a set of the Andromeda Gold Titanium from the Multiverse sales and they are awesome! I will be listening with an A&K SR25 as well as an iFi Hip Dac2 for my iPhone and iPad, and an iFi ZenDac2 for my MacBook Pro. Will do a compare / contrast post once I receive the Ara's and have given both of them some listening time!
I think you will find that they compliment each other quite well. I look forward to your impressions!

Nov 29, 2021 at 9:00 PM Post #280 of 316
The ARA are a low-key star in the CA lineup! You will enjoy them greatly, especially paired up with that SR25!

Nov 29, 2021 at 10:16 PM Post #282 of 316
Do tell more!

Does the ara hiss with the SR25?
No hiss with these, or my Solaris 2020 I also own. I find the ARA pretty laid back, but exciting in their own way! Not a ton of bass, but very well-rounded sound!

Nov 30, 2021 at 4:01 PM Post #283 of 316
I will be listening with an A&K SR25 as well as an iFi Hip Dac2 for my iPhone and iPad, and an iFi ZenDac2 for my MacBook Pro. Will do a compare / contrast post once I receive the Ara's and have given both of them some listening time!

That sounds intriguing to say the least! Please enjoy and we look forward to your findings :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Nov 30, 2021 at 11:00 PM Post #284 of 316
I purchased Ara during the black Friday sale. After 30-40 hours of listening, it's a very balanced/neutral set. Highly detailed, very well-rounded, and coherent. It won't satisfy bass heads, but vocals, instruments sound immensely pleasing and very intimate. However, I find lows lacking a bit (Ara's lows do extend quite a bit, but they are instantly recognizable as having BA signature), especially when I AB Ara to Mest Mk 2 in my collection.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2021 at 9:12 AM Post #285 of 316
I purchased Ara during the black Friday sale. After 30-40 hours of listening, it's a very balanced/neutral set. Highly detailed, very well-rounded, and coherent. It won't satisfy bass heads, but vocals, instruments sound immensely pleasing and very intimate. However, I find lows lacking a bit (Ara's lows do extend quite a bit, but they are instantly recognizable as having BA signature), especially when I AB Ara to Mest Mk 2 in my collection.
I have the Andromeda Gold and I found to improve the bass I had to switch from the DHC Clone Silver to the Clone Fusion. The combo of a copper and silver cable kept the smooth highs and details but brought the bass up and closer to the Solaris SE Clone Silver in bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back