Campfire Audio Ara
Jan 22, 2021 at 9:52 PM Post #256 of 316
Updated: I did get an IEMatch and it helped but not quite enough.

I tried the Final E tips (xs and s), and it didn’t really help :frowning2:

Most likely the tuning is neutral, the FR to my ears sounds like this _/\_/\_/

My FR that I usually prefer is more \_~_/

More so V shaped with a little warmth in midrange, smooth vocals just not shouty in your face lower-midrange/lower-treble.

I’m wondering if a variation of an Andromeda (maybe even the 2020) or 2020 Solaris would be more in line with the FR I usually aim for. Any recommendations would be very grateful.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2021 at 9:55 PM Post #257 of 316

More so V shaped with a little warmth in midrange, smooth vocals just not shorty in your face.

I’m wondering if a variation of an Andromeda (maybe even the 2020) or 2020 Solaris would be more in line with the FR I usually aim for. Any recommendations would be very grateful.
which dap/player are you pairing the Ara with? And which type of music generally?

Jan 22, 2021 at 10:10 PM Post #258 of 316

More so V shaped with a little warmth in midrange, smooth vocals just not shouty in your face lower-midrange/lower-treble.

Solaris 2020 is more U shaped to my ears, but they’ve raised its treble peak too high to me. It’s much brighter than the Solaris OG. However it’s peak is higher up than Ara, so it might be less bothersome to you. It’s too much for me.

Andromeda 2020 doesn’t have any bothersome treble peaks; it’s more of a gentle downward slope. It’s easy to get along with. Personally I greatly prefer the OG Andromeda due to its special and sparkly treble and very wide presentation but the 2020 is technically a better performer in imaging, separation and clarity than the OG.

Jan 22, 2021 at 10:11 PM Post #259 of 316
I’m using a Chord Hugo 2 with Roon streaming via 2go. I’ve been using an IEMatch since the CH2 has very low Ohm output. I’ve also tried the new Alo Audio Pilot (2 Ohm out), decent in a pinch. I’ve also tried using my ifi hip-dac with 3.5 and 4.4 balanced cable paired with my MacBook Pro, iPhone or iPad.

Music taste are wide range but if I had to narrow it down, live acoustic, rock, metal (Slipknot), jazz, older EDM, soundtracks, and world electronic (Deep Forest).

Jan 22, 2021 at 10:59 PM Post #260 of 316
Ara is quite technical and might not match some of those more busy genres which might prefer a v/u shape more.

Andro 2019 (v3) might be a better all rounder if you want to stay within the Campfire Camp.
i find the V3 2019 a good middle ground between og v1/v2 and v4 2020.

Or even Solaris 2020 if you want a bit more ‘action’ (solaris og is also good but the shells are large for me).

lazy link where i compared a few of the Campfires:
https://www.headpie.net/2020/06/campfire-new-release-round-up-final.html?m=1

*i dont have the 2020 versions with me now- so i cant add/answer any current thoughts.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2021 at 9:22 PM Post #262 of 316

No joke, try and swap a user/seller for some Andromeda Golds. The Ara on paper looks similar but the FR doesn't tell the story when listening.

The Andromeda 2020 is the safest option.

The Thueaudio monarch or clairvoyance might be up your alley, especially with a 20 ohm feed through for fun on the monarch. I've read the Solaris 2020 has the least perceived bass of the whole family but that 20% reduction in size is clutch for some people's ears.

The EE nemesis is the least boosted yet fully capable hybrid they sell as well. (It digs DEEEEP but only if the amplitude and frequency exists. Nothing like the Polaris V2 which was all party all the time even though they both chart pretty high in the Bass region FR.)

Mar 3, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #263 of 316
I'm about to order an Ara. I tried to get one used but no bites. That's probably a good thing!

Are these pretty durable in terms of the finish? Changes are these are pretty scratch resistant due to no paint and the material.

Mar 3, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #264 of 316
I'm about to order an Ara. I tried to get one used but no bites. That's probably a good thing!

Are these pretty durable in terms of the finish? Changes are these are pretty scratch resistant due to no paint and the material.
I've heard it ages pretty well... and the titanium looks effin beautiful... I hope they use it in future on other products.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2021 at 3:07 PM Post #265 of 316

Titanium is pretty hard to scratch, I would imagine surface scuffs buff right out with a soft cloth. Ara is a great choice.

Mar 3, 2021 at 3:08 PM Post #266 of 316

Titanium is awesome for longevity man! You’ll probably pick up micro-scratches over time - especially because the Ara’s made of CP2 titanium which is more malleable than 6AL4V - but it should age really nicely. Nothing you can’t buff out either, unless you really put a mark in it.

046B9E04-3C22-46D7-8834-14BE0A5E81A7.jpeg

Some other Ti goodies from when I had the Ara in for review :)

Mar 3, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #267 of 316
Titanium is awesome for longevity man! You’ll probably pick up micro-scratches over time - especially because the Ara’s made of CP2 titanium which is more malleable than 6AL4V - but it should age really nicely. Nothing you can’t buff out either, unless you really put a mark in it.

Thanks for the reply! So you're liking them? How would you compare them to the U12t. That was another one I was looking at.

Mar 3, 2021 at 3:14 PM Post #268 of 316

I’ve owned my ARA for several months, very durable and sounding amazing still. They look great still and have been exposed to sweat and the elements with no signs of wear or discoloration.

Mar 3, 2021 at 3:40 PM Post #269 of 316

Titanium p0rn

Users who are viewing this thread

Back