Calling all HD 800, HD 800S, and HD 8XX owners
Apr 11, 2023 at 4:36 PM Post #166 of 182
Was recommended to post my user experiences. Since owning my HD800S since 2016 I've had 3 CH800 balanced cables disintegrate and is a known issue with more than a few dozen reported cases (can supply if requested).
Believe it has to do with body oils breaking down the rubber used on the 800/800S cables as I've never had this happen with any previous Sennheisers or other headphones.
IMG_6778.jpg
Each time Sennheiser was kind enough to replace each cable, and I'm now on my 4th.

The 1st to go was in 2018

2nd 2021

Most are reporting no problems at all, mind you I use mine almost daily except until recently as I've been using the AKG K872 and Focal Elgia on a rotating basis. And just the other day I was convinced they really did change the composition in the rubber, must have jinxed it....Oddly it is always the left side????
One simple solution Sennheiser could do and save a lot of headaches and what I did with the previous deteriorating CH800 cables was adding some para-cord to the exposed rubber sections. I recycled one with exactly that for use with my HD660S2.
IMG_6926.jpg

The other issue that could also maybe be addressed are the Alcantara pads, after going through 3 pairs which also eventually disintegrate and shed everywhere, I've adopted lambskin as an alternative.

Got my HD800S just after they were available and have been through 5 or 6 pairs of pads so far since, same for my Urbanites which have a similar material .... the velour on the 6XX's do not do this, they just get flattened.

My HD800S have been used on regular bases since 2016 and except for the pads, ear and headband and the cable they have overall held up very well and still sound great.
CH800 Paracord and leather pads. : )
IMG_7056.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2023 at 7:41 PM Post #167 of 182
Was recommended to post my user experiences. Since owning my HD800S since 2016 I've had 3 CH800 balanced cables disintegrate and is a known issue with more than a few dozen reported cases (can supply if requested).
Believe it has to do with body oils breaking down the rubber used on the 800/800S cables as I've never had this happen with any previous Sennheisers or other headphones.
IMG_6778.jpg
Each time Sennheiser was kind enough to replace each cable, and I'm now on my 4th.

One simple solution Sennheiser could do and save a lot of headaches and what I did with the previous deteriorating CH800 cables was adding some para-cord to the exposed rubber sections. I recycled one with exactly that for use with my HD660S2.
IMG_6926.jpg

The other issue that could also maybe be addressed are the Alcantara pads, after going through 3 pairs which also eventually disintegrate and shed everywhere, I've adopted lambskin as an alternative.

My HD800S have been used on regular bases since 2016 and except for the pads, ear and headband and the cable they have overall held up very well and still sound great.
IMG_7056.jpg

Nice solution. Does the paracord really stop the oils? It is a little permeable I think. I see you have added some heatshrink on the ends. I am on my third set of heatshrink on my forth cable. It is not very flexable so at the end of the heatshrink it will disintegrate again soon. I have a new cable waiting and it would be good to protect it better before it goes on when this one fails.

What gauge of paracord is right to get over the plugs and be snug?

Apr 11, 2023 at 10:40 PM Post #168 of 182
Nice solution. Does the paracord really stop the oils? It is a little permeable I think.
Only time will tell.
I see you have added some heatshrink on the ends.
It was a bit of a job. With a bit of heat using a lighter I was able to disassemble the original connectors desolder and shorten the wires by cutting off all of the exposed rubber below the Y splitter, strip off the multiple coverings and then run the paracord the length of the newly exposed rubber length. Slip on enough shrinkwrap of different sizes to make a new Y splitter and also to be able to secure the cable to the connectors after soldering. Probably used more than necessary, sort of a quick and dirty job and soldering was a little tricky as the pins are tiny, just make sure you pay attention to the polarity!
IMG_6930.JPG
What gauge of paracord is right to get over the plugs and be snug?
As I removed the connectors it was as tight as I could find, not sure of the size as its standard nylon paracord and I just removed the center.
Another option is to just cut of an inch or two below the connectors and do the same as I did above and then slice the wires together, fold it back onto itself and cover with shrinkwrap......not as clean but it should work fine.

After so many reports of failing cables I'm not too sure why Sennheiser has not rectified the problem????

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2023 at 11:03 PM Post #169 of 182
After so many reports of failing cables I'm not too sure why Sennheiser has not rectified the problem????

They had more important things to do! Just a few were liquidating parts through (Mass)Drop, making lists of who to fire after a sell-out (like @Evshrug ), and finding the right establishment (Sonova) for a complete sell-out. :wink:

Apr 12, 2023 at 5:07 AM Post #170 of 182

Though a closing date (Apr. 3rd) was given for our feedback, I am sure that @Sennheiser, @ericpalonen always have an eye on this thread.
(I think a closing date sounds rather promising!)

Apr 12, 2023 at 5:42 PM Post #173 of 182
Well business is business, sadly or not, just the facts of life. :)
Why am I’m being @ in this? 🤷‍♂️ Before I chose to leave Sennheiser to work with grell audio, I forwarded tons of feedback to Sennheiser.

If I was being @ because people think I was fired by Sennheiser… actually I put in a one month’s notice voluntarily, and they asked me to stay on for an extra two months to help! With grell, I saw an opportunity to learn more about headphone construction and challenge myself to take more personal initiatives. Lots of opportunity in a small business! But also lots of risk 😅 Good news is I still have a good relationship with Axel, and the last time I talked to Eric we were still on friendly terms.

I had a really awful series of personal life events in July last year, but that would be way off topic 😅

I wish I knew what was up with the cables here: I have my HD 800 (bought used in 2016), HD 820 (kind of like a goodbye gift from Sennheiser) and HD 8XX (from Drop), knock on wood so far things have been good.

In the past, the HD 595 and contemporary headphones of that period had a more brittle polymer plastic used on the enclosure, and Sennheiser changed that, quickly. I also notice people bashing the IE 900 and other new IE series cables (I kinda want that braided one from the IE 200!) for the connector and smoke gray jacket’s microphonics… I agree, it’s not the most silent when rubbed cable, BUT I would actually place it in the middle of the pack for IEM microphonics, and I really wish Sennheiser shared the lab tests: not only is it para-aramid reinforced (same stuff used in Kevlar brand body armor) and the prone-to-breaking MMCX connector reinforced (MMCX have broken on a few of my other IEMs), but they subjected it to tons of mechanical bend tests and even lots of UV light to simulate years of sun exposure, and with the years worth of simulated stress it was still as flexible and reliable as new. It also doesn’t have any PVC plastic softeners (which off-gas, which is why old cheap cables feel slick and flexible when you first get them but dry and stiff later in life).

So, Sennheiser knows how to make durable cables. The CH800 cables are supposed to be para-aramid reinforced too… I’ve seen Rob’s rubber disintegrate a few times over the years, and it’s a mystery to me. Makes me think of archive, acid free paper… something’s happening in Rob’s case, but mine are older and doing ok 🤷‍♂️

I also have third party cables from DanaCable (Lazuli), Apos Flow, and Wireworld (the silver one). I got one just hoping for something shorter to prevent tangles, and I use my HD 800 like that, but I still have the stock 6.5mm Sennheiser cable on the HD 8XX to use with my TV setup.

🦦
Let’s us headphone enthusiasts keep it together, so we don’t drift away

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2023 at 10:16 PM Post #174 of 182
Why am I’m being @ in this? 🤷‍♂️ Before I chose to leave Sennheiser to work with grell audio, I forwarded tons of feedback to Sennheiser.

If I was being @ because people think I was fired by Sennheiser… actually I put in a one month’s notice voluntarily, and they asked me to stay on for an extra two months to help! With grell, I saw an opportunity to learn more about headphone construction and challenge myself to take more personal initiatives. Lots of opportunity in a small business! But also lots of risk 😅 Good news is I still have a good relationship with Axel, and the last time I talked to Eric we were still on friendly terms.

I had a really awful series of personal life events in July last year, but that would be way off topic 😅

I wish I knew what was up with the cables here: I have my HD 800 (bought used in 2016), HD 820 (kind of like a goodbye gift from Sennheiser) and HD 8XX (from Drop), knock on wood so far things have been good.

In the past, the HD 595 and contemporary headphones of that period had a more brittle polymer plastic used on the enclosure, and Sennheiser changed that, quickly. I also notice people bashing the IE 900 and other new IE series cables (I kinda want that braided one from the IE 200!) for the connector and smoke gray jacket’s microphonics… I agree, it’s not the most silent when rubbed cable, BUT I would actually place it in the middle of the pack for IEM microphonics, and I really wish Sennheiser shared the lab tests: not only is it para-aramid reinforced (same stuff used in Kevlar brand body armor) and the prone-to-breaking MMCX connector reinforced (MMCX have broken on a few of my other IEMs), but they subjected it to tons of mechanical bend tests and even lots of UV light to simulate years of sun exposure, and with the years worth of simulated stress it was still as flexible and reliable as new. It also doesn’t have any PVC plastic softeners (which off-gas, which is why old cheap cables feel slick and flexible when you first get them but dry and stiff later in life).

So, Sennheiser knows how to make durable cables. The CH800 cables are supposed to be para-aramid reinforced too… I’ve seen Rob’s rubber disintegrate a few times over the years, and it’s a mystery to me. Makes me think of archive, acid free paper… something’s happening in Rob’s case, but mine are older and doing ok 🤷‍♂️

I also have third party cables from DanaCable (Lazuli), Apos Flow, and Wireworld (the silver one). I got one just hoping for something shorter to prevent tangles, and I use my HD 800 like that, but I still have the stock 6.5mm Sennheiser cable on the HD 8XX to use with my TV setup.

🦦
Let’s us headphone enthusiasts keep it together, so we don’t drift away

For additional information: I live in a hot and humid country, and I am on my 4th set of CH800S because of this issue. So maybe the environment makes a difference? Other cables don't seem to last well here, but the CH800S are easily the worst for this. Then again I use them multiple times a year. The environment also means that if I go on a 2 week holiday or more without using the AC, the earpads may have grown a mushroom farm while I'm away. Other headphone materials just flake off, and my own skin goes nuts, so it is a hard like over here.

Apr 13, 2023 at 11:15 AM Post #175 of 182
I wish I knew what was up with the cables here
Hi Evshrug...thanks for dropping in...

As you remember I mentioned on the HD800S thread, I was really hopping the last cable had a different composition for the rubber, sadly no.
The only thing that I can surmise is that certain body oils, not from everyone obviously, interacts with the rubber and causes it to eventfully break down.
I've been able to find dozens of cases so it is a rather common occurrence.

For additional information: I live in a hot and humid country, and I am on my 4th set of CH800S because of this issue.
I live in Canada and we have extremes in weather, just 2 weeks ago it was freezing 🥶 and today in Toronto it is forecast to be 29 C. :cold_sweat:
Also extremes in humidity.

...Sennheiser knows how to make durable cables. The CH800 cables are supposed to be para-aramid reinforced too… I’ve seen Rob’s rubber disintegrate a few times over the years, and it’s a mystery to me. Makes me think of archive, acid free paper… something’s happening in Rob’s case, but mine are older and doing ok 🤷‍♂️
Having dissected mine I can agree that the cable is extremely well built, maybe overly so. I'm hoping that the bit of para-cord, that I've now covered the exposed section below the connector, helps eliminate or at least extend the life of the cable.
Who knows, but I'm more inclined to focus on chemical reactions.....or maybe it's our choice of music. lol

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2023 at 4:46 PM Post #177 of 182
Nice...I am (hopefully) getting mine today. : )
Woah, today? Hope you have fun!!
If you think para cord wrap might help keep oils from causing disintegration, the Apos Flow cable I recently got might work. You can get them in black or red, mine here is in Pentaconn because I can use it natively with my portable and desktop rigs, and adapt it to connect to any other amp:

image.jpg

For additional information: I live in a hot and humid country, and I am on my 4th set of CH800S because of this issue. So maybe the environment makes a difference? Other cables don't seem to last well here, but the CH800S are easily the worst for this. Then again I use them multiple times a year. The environment also means that if I go on a 2 week holiday or more without using the AC, the earpads may have grown a mushroom farm while I'm away. Other headphone materials just flake off, and my own skin goes nuts, so it is a hard like over here.
Mushrooms, like literal mushrooms?? 😲

I don’t know where you are, but I imagine tropical climates like Singapore and Malaysia have to be simultaneously great for biology and especially tough on gear.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2023 at 11:30 AM Post #178 of 182
Woah, today? Hope you have fun!!
Thanks...well actually 2 days ago now. .......slightly warmer with more bass...and yes having fun as I quite like them.
I find they are more similar, tonally to the new HD660S2, which is not a bad thing at all being closed back. :)
IMG_7196.jpg

the Apos Flow cable I recently got might work.
After the 3rd CH800S I actually picked up a cable from Fog City, 4 pin XLR, little stiffer though.
https://fogcityaudio.com/products/sennheiser-hd800-series-22awg-balanced-headphone-cable
Cable_Fog_City.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2023 at 11:35 PM Post #179 of 182
Haha, I still have the plastic disc with the red stripe on my HD 820 too… I don’t want to smudge the actual glass with my fingerprints! How are you liking the Fog City cable, and has it been holding up for awhile now? Amazing that it’s MORE stiff than the stock cable!

At this point, I have all three Sennheiser cables (I, uh, haven’t used the XLR4 one once, haha, but I do use the Pentaconn one sometimes), a DanaCable Lazuli (OCC Copper, terminated with 4.4mm), a Wireworld Nano Eclipse (Pure Silver, 4.4mm), and the Apos Flow (OCC 6N copper, 4.4mm).

I need to do a head to head comparison some day, but I am working late tonight and probably all this weekend on taxes (double & triple checking), and I need to write an article for Drop (“How to choose a headphone for YOU”), and I already promised myself my next personal video would be on hyper-budget room treatments (I have so many egg cartons you wouldn’t believe it!!!) so that my podcast and video recordings would sound a bit better and my home office would also be set up for listening to the DROP BMR1 samples (I just got a mail notification that an Engineering Validation sample just left to head my way… I’m so short on time for everything!!). In some ways, it’s great to be working for a “store” that could sell almost anything instead of being restricted to talking about one “brand,” but obviously things are kind of piling up for me right now 😅

Apr 16, 2023 at 7:51 AM Post #180 of 182
How are you liking the Fog City cable, and has it been holding up for awhile now? Amazing that it’s MORE stiff than the stock cable!
Its core is 22awg Mogami..so a much stiffer wire to start with than Sennheiser's stock, they're well built with similar performance.

I need to do a head to head comparison some day,
Cable comparisons I stay away from but I've yet to do direct comparisons with the HD800S and the 820 as I always like to see if a headphone stands on its own for the 1st week or so....
If any annoying features or amazing attributes pop up I'll make note but direct comparisons can drive one natty.
The HDVD800 with 2 x 4 Pin XLR outputs facilitates a quick A/B. :)
HDVD800.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back