Calling all HD 800, HD 800S, and HD 8XX owners
Mar 16, 2023 at 7:04 PM Post #151 of 182
Let's assume for a moment that the product design team at Sennheiser takes all of the survey results and the many insightful comments from this (and other threads) and manages through some miracle of engineering to get everything we could have hoped into the flagship headphone - best in class sound and comfort in a well built yet lightweight headphone. Question: what would you be willing to pay for this dream headphone? $1,800 (the current price of the HD 800S), $2000 (the current price of the HD 820) or something else?

I would be willing to go as high as $2,500 for what I'm calling the Sennheiser Unobtainium 900

Interesting question… I have never tried the summit level stuff at $4-5k+

but if sennheiser pulled off what you write, presume they could charge in line with other summit tier competitors. And if a headphone were to ever convince me to spend that kind of money, it would probably be the Unobtainium 900! I am just trying to motivate the sennheiser team here :)
That is exactly the kind of response I was hoping for! Thanks! Well stated and well done.
Yes, but let's not shoot our legs! If we ask for such high pricing, that's what we shall get, even if Sennheiser planed for a lower price! One must be careful with one's wishes! :sweat_smile:

Mar 16, 2023 at 7:09 PM Post #152 of 182
Sennheiser are one of the few high-end headphone manufacturers who price realistically. Its one of the reasons I love their products. It would be out of character for them to go the 'ridiculous price just because we can' route. Fingers crossed whatever they do isn't only for the top 0.05% of buyers.

Mar 16, 2023 at 7:14 PM Post #153 of 182
Long time user here...I would add clamp force a bit and use mini XLR for cable

Mar 16, 2023 at 7:29 PM Post #154 of 182
I am very sorry that you see it this way. I try to support the fact that a forum is mainly a place for simple users to inform each other responsibly. If this disturbs someone, you can understand that it does not look like a good sign...
How sad to prefer silence in front of a glaring "mistake".
Do you know me? How can I make a mistake when I'm perfectly happy having listened to both and making my choice (not your choice)....?

Mar 16, 2023 at 8:43 PM Post #156 of 182
Yes, but let's not shoot our legs! If we ask for such high pricing, that's what we shall get, even if Sennheiser planed for a lower price! One must be careful with one's wishes! :sweat_smile:
Agreed, the reason why the HD8 series has so much staying power is because of the Down-to-earth pricing.

Mar 16, 2023 at 8:43 PM Post #157 of 182
This may just be a remnant of the past, they did try higher prices with the HD820 and the HD700… fortunately the market spoke and prices came down.
I do think the the 600/650/800S are great when purchased at the regular sale prices.

They may lose more than a few if they decide to go with the extremely high prices we see with other many other manufacturers so I truly hope you are right about whatever product this survey is about.
I have some doubts though given the price that the 660S2 released at and incidentally, price was not one of the components in the survey if I recall correctly, I guess they know what people are liking to pay already :).

Cheers,
Sennheiser are one of the few high-end headphone manufacturers who price realistically. Its one of the reasons I love their products. It would be out of character for them to go the 'ridiculous price just because we can' route. Fingers crossed whatever they do isn't only for the top 0.05% of buyers.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2023 at 9:17 PM Post #158 of 182
I don't think the pricing of the new 660S2 fits that description, but it is Sonova and not Sennheiser who is leading the company these days

Mar 17, 2023 at 4:16 AM Post #159 of 182
Remember that are under new ownership, so the past may not be a reliable indication. The consumer division was bought by Sonova, and only the pro division remains under the Sennheiser family along with Neumann.

Edit: just saw the above reply beat me too it.

Mar 17, 2023 at 5:10 AM Post #160 of 182
Do you know me? How can I make a mistake when I'm perfectly happy having listened to both and making my choice (not your choice)....?
Obviously I was not refering to you but your point is more than correct and self-explanatory. You are free to chose whatever you like best.
However if I were to say that the HD-650 is more resolving than HD-800S you would certainly be excused to point me an obvious mistake.
Everything that you want (or not want) to know about that "rude" Neumann headphone, is widely and extensively documented in its thread (along with the HD-660S2 thread), with too many expected and unexpected comparisons by actual users. Time and technology are not going back.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2023 at 1:02 PM Post #162 of 182
People, please mention that the swaying mechanism will pinch and pull your hair when you remove the headphones, if you don't remove them the right way.
I think this has been already noted by one or two other users. :thumbsup:

Mar 20, 2023 at 3:41 PM Post #163 of 182
People, please mention that the swaying mechanism will pinch and pull your hair when you remove the headphones, if you don't remove them the right way.
How are people doing it? I've never had that happen with either my HD 8XX or HD 800S. I just pulled my 800S off my head a few times just now to test it and I'm curious as to how this is happening to others -- do they have some defect, perhaps?

Mar 20, 2023 at 5:30 PM Post #164 of 182
How are people doing it? I've never had that happen with either my HD 8XX or HD 800S. I just pulled my 800S off my head a few times just now to test it and I'm curious as to how this is happening to others -- do they have some defect, perhaps?
I think it's the opposite, they are so well built that they have very small tolerances. On the hinges I'm referring to, when the ear cup swivels it has just enough room to swing without the two assemblies scraping together, but it's so tight that it will grip one or two strands of hair and pinch them in place. As you take off the headphones it's like plucking hairs with tweezers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back