Calling all dinosaurs
Jun 24, 2001 at 2:41 AM Post #31 of 64
I am a young XX years old...well never mind. My very first album and I do mean "album" was Kansas "Point of Know Return." That will give you an idea of how old I am. I never got into the Beatles much. In fact I don't have any of their stuff. Some of my suggestions:

Led Zeppelin - I - "Dazed and Confused" is just awesome.

Led Zeppelin - IV - "Stairway to Heaven" no explanation needed.

Pink Floyd - Animals - Roger Waters...genius or madman?

Pink Floyd - The Wall - Newer, but still amazing.

America - I - "A Horse With No Name" - After all this time still a catchy song.

Tommy James and The Shondells - I don't think the kiddies would like them but I always did. This is one of my big secrets so don't tell anyone.

Chicago - Too many to mention.

Jimi Hendrix - Again, too many to mention. There will never be anybody better!

This is just a short list. I'm sure with more time I will think of many more.

Jun 24, 2001 at 2:56 AM Post #32 of 64
A few more of what I consider indespensable and should be searched out if you've never heard them:

Neil Young Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere and After The Gold Rush
Eagles Hotel California
Bob Marley and The Wailers Catch a Fire
John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band
Bob Dylan Blood on the Tracks
Van Morrison Moondance

Jun 24, 2001 at 10:25 AM Post #33 of 64
Late to the party again,somehting a bit different ?

Humble Pie-Smokin

James Gang -Thirds and Rides Again

Rare Earth

Blood Sweat And Tears

Mahavishnu Orchestra

Rod Stewart -Gasoline Alley

J Giels Band -Bloodshot

CSNY-all

And a really good smpler would be the original Woodstock album,gives a good taste of the era

Jun 24, 2001 at 3:50 PM Post #34 of 64
Well, I'm just a kid too, but I haven't overlooked the oldies. Ever since I picked up my first Zeppelin disc, I haven't looked at music the same way. Before that, I just bought music that played well on the radio. Now, everything I buy is connected and tight with the rest of my stuff ( in my own mind ). I have a great appreciation for musicianship, too thanks to that amazing foursome. Other oldy favorites I have are:

Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers, Beatles - Revolver, Dusty Springfield - Dusty In Memphis, Vanilla Fudge. Bowie - The Man Who Sold the World

A lot of the pop music I have salutes these acts - for the sixties pop or psychedelia. The fusion of styles is exciting too, and that's something I dig in these "nu-metal" bands. So for all the detractors of modern music (not necessarily dinosaurs) - hey, your parents liked stuff that your grannies thought was crap too.

Jun 27, 2001 at 4:17 AM Post #36 of 64
In addition to most of the above:

Billy Joel - Piano Man
Janis Joplin - Pearl
Carol King - Tapestry
John Lennon - Imagine
Steely Dan - Aja
The Eagles - Desperado
The Rolling Stones - Goats Head Soup

and for the select few:

Head East - Flat as a Pancake
Aliotta, Haynes and Jeremiah - LSD (That's Lake Shore Drive)

Oh, and that reminds me, Nick Danger, are you a Firesign Theatre fan or do you just like drinking chocolate malted falcons and selling high schools on the corner?

Jun 27, 2001 at 4:42 AM Post #37 of 64
Getting in on this thread a little late but I thought I'd throw in a coupla oddball favs other than those already listed.
Jeff Beck-Blow By Blow 1975
Joni Mitchell-Hejira 1976
Tom Waits- The Heart of Saturday Night 1974

These require deep listening and are best in complete darkness and solitude. Take 'em or leave 'em. These for me are lifelong keepers.

Jun 28, 2001 at 5:54 AM Post #41 of 64
Quote:

Originally posted by pigmode
Yeah, Three Dog Night. Remember the song "Out In The Country?"

That song is off a verry good Disc(or should i say Lp) titeled It ain't easy. an Other Notable track Woman. This is my most fav. Three dog Night Discs.

Jun 28, 2001 at 6:20 AM Post #42 of 64
Quote:

Originally posted by ppl

That song is off a verry good Disc(or should i say Lp) titeled It ain't easy. an Other Notable track Woman. This is my most fav. Three dog Night Discs.

Lol. I still have my original cassette from way back when. Cassettes were pretty new then and it sounds terrible, so I had to get a copy off napster. I also saw them in concert and that (sound quality) was pretty bad too.

Jun 28, 2001 at 10:32 AM Post #43 of 64
Quote:

Originally posted by pigmode

Lol. I still have my original cassette from way back when. Cassettes were pretty new then and it sounds terrible, so I had to get a copy off napster. I also saw them in concert and that (sound quality) was pretty bad too.

Yup I thought the LP sounded Great and attmittedly ABC that TDN recorded for was considered a Budjet Label Of DunHill. My It aint Easy LP capoy was From The Budget Lot. ABC.

Jun 30, 2001 at 12:21 PM Post #44 of 64
Quote:

Originally posted by joelongwood

I think not.
smily_headphones1.gif

What other Beatles Disc has Yellow Submarine on it!

Jul 6, 2001 at 12:19 AM Post #45 of 64
I was living in England during 1963 & 1964, and trust me when I say "Yellow Submarine" became totally obnoxious!

- Mike Oldfield "Tubular Bells"
- Alice Cooper "Welcome to My Nightmare"
- David Bowie "Space Oddity" & "Ziggy Stardust"
- Roxy Music "Avalon"
- Steely Dan "Aja"
- Elton John "Yellow Brick Road"
- Peter Gabriel "SO"
- Cheap Trick "Dream Police"
- Carly Simon "No Secrets"
- Janis Ian "Seventeen"

...and so many others.

Users who are viewing this thread