Calling all dinosaurs
Jun 23, 2001 at 12:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 64

Apheared

You call that an amp? THIS is an amp!
Fellow ancient ones,

We really need to educate the youngins on some of the stuff they may have missed... the stuff you're sure they've heard some of on oldies stations, especially 50-70s rock. The beginning.

I mean, how can you be a complete human without Stones's Sticky Fingers or Emotional Rescue? Or god forbid they go thru life without owning the White Album, right?

Jun 23, 2001 at 1:10 AM Post #2 of 64
At 53, I'm sure I qualify as a dinosaur. Here are 5 of the albums that altered my life and made me look at things in an entirely different way:
Bob Dylan: "Bringing it All Back Home"
Bob Dylan- "Blonde on Blonde"
Jefferson Airplane: "Surrealistic Pillow"
Beatles: "Revolver"
Beatles: "Rubber Soul"
They made me THINK!
biggrin.gif

Jun 23, 2001 at 1:43 AM Post #5 of 64
I think Apheared can attest to the fact that I am not a dinosaur. =) However, I do very much enjoy music from the 60s and 70s. For example, one of my friends just got me four CDs as a graduation gift, namely The Beatles' Revolver, The Doors' L.A. Woman, Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here, and Led Zeppelin's Houses of the Holy. I don't yet like L.A. Woman, but I'm sure that's bound to change with a little more listening. =)

While I agree that Revolver is a good album, I don't think it's a particularly deep or (dare I say it?) "artistic" album. That is, it's very definitely pop-rock, though it's excellent music nonetheless. It's just that while it has great tunes, I find it to be filled with songs that are catchy but quite simple. There's not much to understand in Revolver.

Wish You Were Here and Houses of the Holy, on the other hand, are simply amazing. I've said on Headwize that I think the best of any type of art shows you something in a different perspective and very honestly, so that you see life in a new way. Most music, I think, doesn't really show you life in a new way; rather, it simply puts sounds together in a pleasing way.

Anyway, Floyd and Zeppelin seemed to me to really make me think in a different way; that is, it was like being high without using drugs.

Another thing I found in Floyd and Zeppelin (which I don't really find with any newer music) is that I had to listen to the whole albums, uninterrupted, from beginning to end for the full effect. It made the album itself a work of art, not just the individual songs.

After listening to this music, it's very hard for me to go back to listening to soem of the much simpler music I often used to listen to from the 90's and early 21st Century.

However, I don't think that all music from the 60s and 70s is this good; while I think Tommy, for example, is close to being as good as Zeppelin and Floyd (in terms of artistic qualities), bands like The Jimi Hendrix Experience/Band of Gypsies, The Rolling Stones, and The Beatles, may have amazing guitar-playing abilities or voices or tunes, but aren't so "artistic" in the way I've described above.

Jun 23, 2001 at 2:11 AM Post #6 of 64
Quote:

While I agree that Revolver is a good album, I don't think it's a particularly deep or (dare I say it?) "artistic" album. That is, it's very definitely pop-rock, though it's excellent music nonetheless. It's just that while it has great tunes, I find it to be filled with songs that are catchy but quite simple. There's not much to understand in Revolver.

DanG, believe me when I tell you, in 1966 when this album was released, it made you think..........the "artistic" style of rock/pop music was still in the future. Deep and hidden meanings? No, but great wordplay and lyrics far , far beyond I Want To Hold Your Hand This was a seminal album in the Beatle's development.......and mine.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 23, 2001 at 2:15 AM Post #7 of 64
I'm no dinosaur but I do love old stuff. The greatest music came from the 60's and 70's. Nowadays, with all this...non music going around (rap, all mainstream hip hop, and the like), I truly feel that it has a degenerative effect of the human brain. Listening to some crappy music is okay (my guilty pleasure would have to be orbital every now and then), but after a long while it will make you into an idiot. Sorry, I have very strong feelings on music
biggrin.gif
. But really good music like Bob Dylan, Dire Straits, the Eagles, Tom Petty, pink floyd, and on a lesser scale the Rolling Stones can really open your mind to how amazing music can really be.

By the way, anyone who still doesn't have Dark side of the moon hasn't lived (DanG, I'm looking in your direction). Forget the beatles man, floyd all the way!

Jun 23, 2001 at 2:23 AM Post #8 of 64
Heheh, Neruda, your taste sounds quite similar to mine. I haven't really heard much Dylan or Eagles, but don't worry, I do have Dark Side of the Moon.
smily_headphones1.gif
It's just that I just got Wish You Were Here and really like it.

Plus, I don't think that Dark Side is such a tightly-knit album like Wish is; certain songs, like "Money," for example, seem to be a bit too distanced from the rest of the songs.

Joe, I agree oh so much that most of the music on Revolver is far better than the earlier Beatles stuff; I also think that music on Revolver makes you think; it's just that it doesn't take a hold of me like Floyd's or Zeppelin's music does.

Jun 23, 2001 at 2:23 AM Post #9 of 64
Quote:

Forget the beatles man, floyd all the way!

Neruda, I took your advice on the portable Panasonic and love it. Took it again on the Grados.......can't get enough of 'em. But this? I don't think so. Oh, well......two outa three ain't bad.
wink.gif

Jun 23, 2001 at 2:57 AM Post #10 of 64
well... I wasn't specifically wanting you guys to post what you like/liked then, but what they NEED to have. Joe got the idea.
smily_headphones1.gif

I mean I was into Mountain, Guess Who, Three Dog Night, Jim Croche, other assorted 60s-70s "hard rock" but I wouldn't stick any of them next to Blonde on Blonde, or even Bowie's Ziggy...

Jun 23, 2001 at 3:11 AM Post #11 of 64
DanG, I LOVE YOU!!

well not quite, but you're the first person to agree with my opinion that Wish you were here is superior to Dark side of the moon in more than one way.

I think Wish You were here is more of a coherent, seamless album as opposed to a collection of songs as dark side seems to be. Plus i hate the backup vocals in dark side. so damn cheesy.

Jun 23, 2001 at 5:46 AM Post #12 of 64
Okay, a few 'must-haves':

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - Beatles
Led Zeppelin IV (aka Runes)
The Wall - Pink Floyd (Okay, not '60s or '70s but still a must)
Disraeli Gears - Cream
Aqualung - Jethro Tull
L.A. Woman - The Doors

I could go on all day, I guess.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 23, 2001 at 5:58 AM Post #13 of 64
[IMHO]Okay XXHalberstramXX, now we're getting into a nasty place! Wish you were here is a good album, but nothing holds a freakin' candle to Dark Side. I don't see how you think Dark Side isn't connected. I will admit that Money feels a bit out of place, but the more you listen to it the more you like having that high spirited song in there (and hey, Have a Cigar certainly doesn't seem to fit in with the mood of wish you were here. At least I don't think so). It gives it a well rounded feel. Other than that all of those songs have an incredibly well orchestrated emotional power to them. I once made the mistake of calling it raw emotion; but it isn't raw; it's fabulously well composed. Everything they did in that album has meaning, just like The Wall.

In Contrast, wish you were here sounds a bit "blank" to me. It's a great album and I love it, but that unrelenting emotion is missing. No Pink Floyd song I've ever heard has the same power and impact like "Us and Them" has. That song hits you in your chest like a sledge hammer. In contrast, I could describe Wish you were here as boring! It has emotion, but it's nowhere near the same.

As far as the background singers go, I don't know how to respond. I can't see anyone describing them as cheesy. Do you think that "the Great Gig in the Sky" was boring too? You strike me as someone who hasn't listened to the album many times; I implore you to listen to it again, over and over and over! Do it when you're in sort of a depressed mood, m'kay?[/IMHO]

Jun 23, 2001 at 10:54 AM Post #14 of 64
Well There is some great Classic rock CD's listed hear and i Like most of them But What i wanted to point out is what i think is an Error regarding Revolver. This was a Greatest Hits type With Origenel as well as tracks from other Discs Included. As far as having no Deep meanning well on one song you will Find"Just relax and float down Strem" No Hidden Meaning! Oh Boy. Not Deep Gess Again. However Later works by the Beatles like Sgt Peppers, The White Album are truly amazing. Some Other Discs i like are Below "Short List"

Jefferson airplane =Volenteers, Surrealistic Pillow, After bathing at baxters, Jefferson Airplane takes off,Blows Aganst the Empire

Moody Blues= In search of the lost cord, To our Childrens Children,Octave.

Doors= Doors,LA woman,Morrison Hotel,Alive She Cried

Greatfull dead= American beauty,Working mans dead, For the fathefull, Dead set (Best version of frend of the devel i have heard.)

Led Zeplin= Led Zeplin II, Houses of the Holy,

The Who= Live at Leeds,Who's Next,Quadraphenia,Tommy.

Deep Purple- machine head, Purple passages Live from Tokio.

Bob Dillian= Highway 61 Revisited, Blood on the tracks (And what ever Disc has the Song The Hurricane) on it.

Pink Floyd= The wall,Pulse,Wish you were hear(My Fav),Darkside of the Moon, Metal,A Momentary laps of reason.

Allen parsons= I Robot, tales of mistery and Imagination
I will stop for now this will give you a sampleof Classic rock i like.

Jun 23, 2001 at 2:44 PM Post #15 of 64
Quote:

Originally posted by ppl
.........What i wanted to point out is what i think is an Error regarding Revolver. This was a Greatest Hits type With Origenel as well as tracks from other Discs Included.

I think not.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back