call me stupid... but i want to close a pair of HD650's
Jan 2, 2012 at 9:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Matty87

New Head-Fier
Hi guys

This might sound stupid as, but I want to purchase a pair of Sennheiser HD650's and mod them to be closed. Reason being is I want them to be slightly more portable, and leak as little sound as possible. The reason I've chosen 650's is that I've heard the bass is nice and punchy and are built with a quality design and its easy for the grill to be taken off and placed back. I would just purchase Denon AH-D2000's but don't trust their quality to last how and when id be using them.
My thoughts are to use somthing like Butyl Flashing Tape, Dynamat 10415, or some form of putty etc on the inside of the grill in somewhat thick layers to keep as much of the noise in as possible.
I know a lot of you would think this is a terrible idea, but has anyone got any ideas of what material I could use that would work well, or other ways I could trap the sound?

Thanks again, and sorry if I've offended any audiophiles with my idea :wink:

Jan 2, 2012 at 9:11 AM Post #2 of 26
I would strongly recommend buying proper closed headphones with a similar sound signature. Open headphones are designed from the ground up to be, well, open. It really isn't as simple as trapping the sound - try sticking your hands over a pair of open headphones as they play. The difference is not subtle or pleasant.

Jan 2, 2012 at 9:20 AM Post #3 of 26

People have closed them before, not sure it would be a positive move though..

Jan 2, 2012 at 9:39 AM Post #4 of 26

Quote:

People have closed them before, not sure it would be a positive move though..

Not sure how these would sound but Looks very nice though !
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 2, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #6 of 26
Are there closed cans that have awesome sound and bass then? I would LOOOVVVEEE Ultrasone 8's but way out of my price range. Denons aren't reliable enough for me to use when on the move at least sometimes. And I want something that is totally circumaural. Are there any mode that make the Denons stronger, more portable friendly?

Jan 2, 2012 at 7:06 PM Post #7 of 26

Quote:
Are there closed cans that have awesome sound and bass then? I would LOOOVVVEEE Ultrasone 8's but way out of my price range. Denons aren't reliable enough for me to use when on the move at least sometimes. And I want something that is totally circumaural. Are there any mode that make the Denons stronger, more portable friendly?

Can you elaborate on why you don't believe Denon's to be reliable? I haven't read any reports here that they're particularly unreliable. 

Jan 2, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #8 of 26
I've just read endless reports that the earcups fall off or the headband comes apart with even slightly rough usage or treatment. Is probably get them recabled with a shorter cable which would help with portability. But its just the Damn screws and strength of the build that is breaking the deal for me :frowning2: that and Denons customer/ warranty services that I've heard bad stories about. I'm not sure if Denon even offers a warranty in Aus...

Jan 2, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #10 of 26
First, if you try to close a pair of open headphones such as the HD 650, you are no longer going to have an HD 650 as it will sound REALLY bad.  As said earlier, open headphones are designed to be open.
If you want closed headphones, then buy closed headphones.
The AH-D2000's that you refer to are an EXCELLENT  build, so I don't understand your comments about quality.  Perhaps you could refer us to the forum amd comments that state otherwise. And they also have a very good warranty and service record.  After all we are talking about Denons and not Skullcandy.

Jan 2, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #12 of 26
If you are looking for something similar to the HD650's sound sig in a closed form, the Fischer Audio FA-003/Brainwavz HM5 has been compared often to them. They're a bit more like the HD600 and won't quite match the 650's detail, but they're as close as you'll get. As for bass, they're not a bassy headphone (they're neutral) but they bass they present is very well-done while not being overwhelming.

Jan 6, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #14 of 26
ultrasone Pro900. They are far from HD650, but they are the best punchy bass closed head phone there is. Probably better than D2000 in that area. Ultrason Edition 8 is more on a bright side to be honest. They are not that punchy bass type like the denons are.

Chose to go D2000, DT770 600ohms, or Pro900. 

They are the only ones you can get from that price range.

Good Luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back