call me stupid... but i want to close a pair of HD650's
Jan 6, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #16 of 26
I take DT150 over DT770 and D2000 since i had all 3 and i still have the DT150 all this time. I have never tried the HD650 but i have used HD600 for some time and it sounds pretty similar to the DT150 but the soundstage is a bit narrower.

Jan 6, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #17 of 26

People have closed them before, not sure it would be a positive move though..

That could very well be the pair and matching stand that Headphile made for me about 5 years ago (or very similar looking) but I can not really reccomend them. The sound changes quite a lot (however it is so long ago that I can't realle remember how) and they still leaked quite a lot since there are other openings in the design than through the grill

Jan 6, 2012 at 6:48 PM Post #18 of 26
dt 770 pro, d2000, pro 900.

i will also recommend any of those for closed headphones. having owned all 3 of them.

i sold my dt 770 pro though because i got dt 990s instead lol.

i miss my dt 770 pros though, they have alot of bass

Jan 6, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #19 of 26
Man I saw your other posts.

You have been doing research too much. You just have to listen to them to decide to be honest.

Your research will be useless depending on what you like.

For me, SRH 940 sounded better than D2000, and as good as hd650.

Each person has a different taste.

Also D2000 has a very good build quality, so I don't think it's very smart to just compare all day and keep thinking which cans to buy.

Just listen to me, and there are 3 cans you can buy.

DT770 pro, Pro900, and D2000 assuming your price range.

You are trying so hard to get the "best" headphone, but you won't. You will always be disappointed at some areas, and gear greatness in certain areas.

In my opinion, stick with the most safe pick (D2000) and be happy with what you have.

Jan 6, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #20 of 26
I'm surprised to read that the 650's change so much when closed since they don't sound very open to begin with, not that I don't enjoy mine.  But regardless, the 650's would make terrible portables by virtue of their difficulty to drive. 

I've used the Ultrasone Pro 750's as portables before, but am not sure if I could really recommend doing such due to their form factor being really, really cumbersome and their swivel joints being creaky (this obviously applies to the 900's too since it's the same chassis).

I don't know about the Beyers or Denons since I've never used them, but I'd assume they're both more comfortable than Ultrasone's Pro line.

Jan 6, 2012 at 11:59 PM Post #22 of 26
Tried it before(closed plastic cups with damping material), didn't like the sound. I don't recall what it made the sound like, but I all I remember is I didn't like it because it didn't sound like a HD 650 anymore(or anything likeable).

Jan 7, 2012 at 1:20 AM Post #23 of 26

Quote:
That could very well be the pair and matching stand that Headphile made for me about 5 years ago (or very similar looking) but I can not really reccomend them. The sound changes quite a lot (however it is so long ago that I can't realle remember how) and they still leaked quite a lot since there are other openings in the design than through the grill

Bingo ~ that's the source of this photo 
biggrin.gif

Jan 7, 2012 at 3:18 AM Post #24 of 26
lol i immediately knew it was from headphile from the way the photo looked and the wood.

i don't think hd 650s do too good closed. they would be way too dark sounding imo.

Jan 7, 2012 at 3:57 AM Post #25 of 26
The D2000 still leaks a fair bit for a closed design. The DT770 hardly leaks at all but there are many versions with very different sound sig. For unamp use it would almost have to be the DT770/80 Pro ehich is the bass heaviest. There are many other good closed headphones in many price ranges all the way up to Ultrasone Edition8 which I'm sure could be near ideal but at a price

Users who are viewing this thread

Back