Cafe Sceptico: The Objectivist Cafe
Jun 13, 2013 at 1:54 AM Post #451 of 497
"Temple," used metaphorically, for heaven's sake!

“In the temple of science are many mansions, and various indeed are they that dwell therein and the motives that have led them hither. Many take to science out of a joyful sense of superior intellectual power; science is their own special sport to which they look for vivid experience and the satisfaction of ambition; many others are to be found in the temple who have offered the products of their brains on this altar for purely utilitarian purposes. Were an angel of the Lord to come and drive all the people belonging to these two categories out of the temple, the assemblage would be seriously depleted, but there would still be some men, of both present and past times, left inside.” - Albert Einstein

Jun 13, 2013 at 3:00 AM Post #453 of 497
Quote:
"Temple," used metaphorically, for heaven's sake!

“In the temple of science are many mansions, and various indeed are they that dwell therein and the motives that have led them hither. Many take to science out of a joyful sense of superior intellectual power; science is their own special sport to which they look for vivid experience and the satisfaction of ambition; many others are to be found in the temple who have offered the products of their brains on this altar for purely utilitarian purposes. Were an angel of the Lord to come and drive all the people belonging to these two categories out of the temple, the assemblage would be seriously depleted, but there would still be some men, of both present and past times, left inside.” - Albert Einstein

Not if you bring up religion in the same sentence, it would never have crossed my mind to use it metaphorically.

Never read that quote from Einstein before. Granted the furthest I have studied Einstein related topics are in semiconductor and thermal physics. 

Jun 13, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #455 of 497
Conducting an unbiased ABX test in the living room, at least in some cases, does not require all that much of a lab.

Most of the folks I run into don't even bother to set up a switcher for A/B comparision or balance the line level. The thing I don't understand is differences that are described as "night and day" when the only way to really tell for sure is to do a series of blind tests. When the difference is that small, odds are it doesn't matter at all.

Jun 13, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #456 of 497
Do you think that Einstein's thoughts about physics are somehow separate from his thoughts about God and religion?  What are they teaching these days?

It appears that, for Einstein, science and a divine entity were not incongruous. Both quotes below, in particular, seem to express his comfort zone with this duality.

"God does not care about our mathematical difficulties. He integrates empirically."

"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind."

Not if you bring up religion in the same sentence, it would never have crossed my mind to use it metaphorically.

I have no idea where in my post I brought up religion unless you read "worship" and "temple" as being exclusive to religious nomenclature.

Jun 13, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #457 of 497
IIRC the consensus is that Einstein may have bought into a sort of pantheism but used religious metaphors mainly out of convenience. There are contrasting views on this and you can pull out an Einstein quote to support just about any interpretation.

To me Einstein was interesting because of his work rather than his quasireligious sophistry.

Jun 13, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #458 of 497
Quote:
A lot of these objective commentaries demand an elaborate lab setup and peer approved protocol with monitored controls, qualified scientific technicians, etc. in your living room. This is a site of hobbyists enjoying real life experiences and sharing their thoughts (subjectively). Science is a language of understanding and rigorous repeatable conclusions to find answers. Most of what you challenge is the industry but you aim it at the hobbyist. When someone shares a discovery to be told "prove it", many will react the way they do. No snark, no chip, just a honest reflection of the problem. Is it a realistic expectation of the hobbyist?

First of all something like an ABX test is a subjective test with "real life experiences". As jaddie wrote, it is everything but a thing only scientists can set up. Should there be problems with DBT methodology / setup I'm sure many people here would like to help.

The industry, e.g. the cable industry, is not interested in providing science for obvious reasons just like the homeopathy industry doesn't tell people that their (expensive) remedies are water.
At the most they provide some obscure plots using extremely bad performing cables that always remains unnamed to compare their "better" product to.

Yes, I think it is a realistic expectation. Even if you don't post your logs publicly don't you owe to yourself some basic honesty controls? It doesn't need to be all that fancy. Level matching, hiding the components, have someone switch them for you (could be a computer program in case of ABX) is a very good start.

Jun 13, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #459 of 497
I like Einstein because he never took himself too seriously.

tongue.gif

se

Jun 15, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #463 of 497
Quote:
It would be prudent for this site to create another forum that caters only to folks interested in sharing/discussing their subjective epiphanies regarding audio cables. The Sound Science forum should be about just that, "science." There is a lot to learn and consider from both camps but it's simply impossible to follow threads where a donnybrook ensues every other post.

Science and religion can coexist as long as each worships at their own temple.

Very good. I'm going to use that. 

Jun 17, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #464 of 497
Anyone working on any interesting tweaks on their systems? I think I am finally 100% happy with all the gazillion settings on my receiver. I think I'm going to step through the menus and photograph them with my iPhone to document them in case there's a power outage and it all gets wiped.

Jun 17, 2013 at 11:33 PM Post #465 of 497
I used a measurement microphone to measure my speakers' room response and two separate Electri-Q filters to EQ the two channels separately. Also using a multiband compressor (built out of two VST crossover filters and 8 fullband compressors) to suppress sibilance and harshness in pop recordings.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back