Cable Burn In with regard to Audio Directionality.
Jun 14, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #48 of 302
One wonders if the inductance and capacitance of relatively short speaker cable (say 2 meters) can have an influence on the sound quality?

Also whether a cable transmits a signal at say 76% or 81% the speed of light could make any difference to the sound??

I will post any info I get early in the week regarding cable burn-in and directionality! after I speak to the company who's opinion I would value.

Jun 14, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #50 of 302
  One wonders if the inductance and capacitance of relatively short speaker cable (say 2 meters) can have an influence on the sound quality?

Also whether a cable transmits a signal at say 76% or 81% the speed of light could make any difference to the sound??

I will post any info I get early in the week regarding cable burn-in and directionality! after I speak to the company who's opinion I would value.

don't forget that we're already in a system where we tend to find the changes in the cable conductor itself to be mostly unimportant(withing reason, don't go replacing the copper with wood ). because imedance is what still seem to matter the most for most headphones/drivers in the end. the amp should have low impedance, the headphone/speaker will have a good deal more and so changes from one cable to another with still small impedance, like going to silver or whatever, will have very little measurable impact.
now with that in mind, the directionality funny stuff that was discussed, would concerns the dielectric. so at best it's an indirect effect, on something where we have established that changing the conductor itself is not important. ^_^
of course if we look deep enough we may find something changing(or not), but that's like deciding to worry that the jitter is making -130db noise instead of -135db noise. it's unreasonable to even care given our audio gear's resolution.

Jun 14, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #51 of 302

With conventional speakers, both the speaker cable and the speaker driver are inductive. That tends to wash out the effects of the already relatively low inductance of the speaker cable.

With active speakers making further inroads into the market, low impedance speaker cables will become less prevalent.

The time delay or latency in any reproduction system are moot, given the long periods of time that the program material has already been latent on the media.

Jun 14, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #52 of 302
With conventional speakers, both the speaker cable and the speaker driver are inductive. That tends to wash out the effects of the already relatively low inductance of the speaker cable.

It's not any inductance of the speaker driver that makes a low inductance loudspeaker cable desirable, but their relatively low impedance. At higher impedances, it's capacitance that you want to keep an eye on.

se

Jun 14, 2015 at 9:50 PM Post #56 of 302
If cables don't effect sound much, why be concerned with capacitance or worry about the impedance of a cable? Is it because impedance changes due to cable will alter the sound?

No need to worry about impedance at audio frequencies, but too much resistance, capacitance and inductance can be problematic. But it's trivially easy to design a cable that keeps all of those elements low enough to not have to worry about them.

se

Jun 15, 2015 at 8:24 AM Post #57 of 302
Guys, if anyone is getting more confused in this little debate of ours, this quote should clear up things nicely!

"There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know.

But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know."

(Complements of Donald Rumsfeld)

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/d/donaldrums148142.html#mHcAzgze6TMqt6Uy.99

Jun 15, 2015 at 9:02 AM Post #58 of 302
  Guys, if anyone is getting more confused in this little debate of ours, this quote should clear up things nicely!

"There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know.

But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know."

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/d/donaldrums148142.html#mHcAzgze6TMqt6Uy.99

The thing is that the list of known knowns is getting longer, which carries with it the implication that the list of unknowns unknowns that really matter is getting shorter.

One of the problems in high end audio is that the ones who rule the roost are getting up there in years, for example people like John Atkinson, Robert Harley, Mikey Fremer and the like. They are increasingly exposed to being exposed as boobs in the eyes of younger candidates for audiophilia, who are better educated in the new technology that gives the lie to their pronouncements from on high.

Jun 15, 2015 at 9:54 AM Post #60 of 302

A pointless aside in an attempt to muddy the waters, just like one of the great philosophers of the twenty first century, Donald Rumsfeld, (not), was attempting.

We've known what we need to know about wire for well over 100 years, it's about time that was acknowledged, rather than the silly crap people come up with based on voodoo, mysticism and junk science with zero verifiable evidence. Sloppy methodology reaches sloppy conclusions.

If there's any confusion it's due to people not being able to distinguish the truly knowledgable from the clueless. To me it's fairly obvious who the knowledgable are in this thread, the clueless should shut up and learn, not litter the thread with pointless asides.

Wire burn in and directionality? Until you provide verifiable evidence, it will remain total bollocks...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back