Buying replacement covers/tips for IEMs?
Oct 11, 2011 at 12:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

geoxile

100+ Head-Fier
Mainly looking for something to replace the ones that come with the Brainwavz M1 (because I lost most of them). Any thoughts on what to get? Most of head-fi seems to like Comply tips but they seem like a steep price just for tips, and for a $40 pair of IEMs no less. Alternative question, would the upgrade to M3s be worth the money? or should I bet looking in a different area?

Oct 11, 2011 at 6:41 PM Post #2 of 9
First let me say that comply tips are quite nice.  I currently have mine installed on my M2's and love them.  Keep in mind for $15 you get three pairs so they should last you quite a while.  You can purchase the comply's in new colors now too which is a nice change.  They are consumable so eventually they wear out, but a package ( $14 ) lasts about 1 year.  Just be sure not to use alcohol to clean them off and they will last longer.

I have had far fewer comfort issues using Comply tips than any other tip.  The only other tip that is better, but currently does not fit anything else, are the stock tips for the ER-6i.  They fit a tad deeper and seal much better.  They are also made from a wax resistant material so a single pair lasts longer.

Oct 11, 2011 at 7:15 PM Post #3 of 9
So Complys are worth the money? On Amazon they're listed as $20 but I'm guessing there are different sources. Though I am signed up for Prime Student. I have the urge to upgrade to better IEMs though. I feel like if I spend the money for high quality 3rd party tips I should also spend money upgrading the actual in-ears.

Oct 11, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #5 of 9
There are some new Comply tips going for about $9.95. Check their website.

Full disclosure, I get sent a pair to review. They're softer than the T Series and offer pretty good isolation. You'll have to check the brands to see what size fits.

Oct 11, 2011 at 7:47 PM Post #6 of 9
Personally, I like the Shure olives over the Complys. I just ordered a set of 5 pairs from BH Photo Video for about $16 shipped. They wear out eventually, but you can clean them, and they last a lot longer than the Complys. I use them with my Westone 4's, but I would use them with anything. 

Oct 12, 2011 at 10:07 AM Post #7 of 9
For your situation with the M1s, you don't have much room for options unless you want to Mod tips; the sound port is too large.  The Shure Olives won't work unless you decore them, which never works out as well as people want it to. Etymotic's foam tips would need the same treatment, but would be even worse because (in my opinion) they suck.
So you either live with silicone, buy Comply, or mod something. Rroseperry is right, Comply has a new style of tip, which is cheaper, called the S-Series. These tips actually come with a model by Brainwavz, but I can't remember which one. 

Oct 12, 2011 at 1:42 PM Post #8 of 9
I've tried Comply T400 and Tx400 with my M1. Works great.

Oct 12, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
For your situation with the M1s, you don't have much room for options unless you want to Mod tips; the sound port is too large.  The Shure Olives won't work unless you decore them, which never works out as well as people want it to. Etymotic's foam tips would need the same treatment, but would be even worse because (in my opinion) they suck.
So you either live with silicone, buy Comply, or mod something. Rroseperry is right, Comply has a new style of tip, which is cheaper, called the S-Series. These tips actually come with a model by Brainwavz, but I can't remember which one. 

The B2s I'm guessing. So would you guys recommend upgrading to the M3s? I might get them at the same time I get new tips

Users who are viewing this thread

Back