Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Nov 25, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #1,606 of 5,364
Quote:
Normal?  They are IEMs.  They fit in your ears pretty normally... please clarify.

Edit:  Just google image "SE215 Fit".  The cable goes over your ear.  if that is what you mean.  

Yeah I'm not used to the cable over the year, I normally wear them just hanging from the year.

But shure's bass vs. xb500s?

Also whats the difference between the CL and the K edition?\

EDIT: I've been reading some more reviews and they've been saying the bass is inferior to most?

Nov 25, 2012 at 9:54 PM Post #1,608 of 5,364
Quote:
I think I am leaning towards the se215's.
Would you recommend the Limited edition ones? or just the regular 215's?

The limited seems to have slightly more bass? http://www.head-fi.org/t/635122/thoughts-on-limited-edition-shure-se215/15

Looks way better than the regular ones, I'd get them in a flash 
wink.gif

Nov 25, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #1,614 of 5,364
Quote:
Hi all,

I've been lurking for quite some time. I'm currently looking for an IEM that meets the following criteria:

1) Leans analytical in sound signature
2) Excellent soundstage and instrument separation
3) Very good isolation (will be worn in train)
4) Can be worn ear-down (vs. over ear)

As to the sound I prefer, I bought the Rockitsounds R-50 and enjoyed the sound, but the over-ear memory cord was way too fussy for me so I returned them. I currently own the ATH CKM500, but they're a little warm for my taste and I'm unhappy with the soundstage. I also have the monoprice 8320, which I like and use at the gym, but I'd like to upgrade.

I'm leaning toward a dual BA, but I'm totally open to other suggestions. I'd like to keep it under $200 if at all possible, and the lower the better.

Many thanks!

bumping for help

Nov 26, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #1,617 of 5,364
Hey guys, I'm looking for a pair of headphones for use with a tablet. Low impedance, obviously, and portable(small enough to fit in a small compartment in a backpack, or hopefully, in a pocket.

My biggest problem so far has been that my ears haven't fit any in-ears or earbuds that I've tried, ranging from iPhone/iPod buds, Klipsch S4s, UE 600s, and some cheap Koss/Skullcandy buds that weren't mine. I'd love to use in-ears or buds, but because of my previous experiences, I don't want to waste my money if they won't fit, and I have no way of trying any before I purchase them. And yes, I tried all of the replacement cups with the Klipsch and Logitechs. The real problem with the buds, though, is that they're slowly forced out until the seal is broken and they fall out. I'm constantly fighting them.

As far as the sound signature goes, I'd like the frequency response to be somewhat flat, maybe with a slight boost around 80-120Hz, and the upper-midrange, but I can use an EQ if my needs aren't met. I've listened to headphones with boosted treble, boosted sub, and boosted lower midrange, which is not what I want. I'm using a pair of Shure SRH440s right now, and they're not quite what I'd prefer. I'm looking for something a little bit more lively(colorful, I guess). Extension isn't really that important, either. I'm using these for podcasts, movies, and the occasional bit of music, which again, I'd like to see a bit of color around the midbass and upper midrange. I'd also like as much separation as possible, and as for the soundstage, I don't want to feel like I'm inside the speaker at a rock concert, but I also don't want to feel like I'm watching a concert from a mile away...

I have a budget of $50 or so for these, and it doesn't matter if they're open or closed. The most important factors physically are that they stay attached well, so if they're over/on ear, they need to have some clamping power. Because of this, I'd like them to be light so they don't cause discomfort.

Nov 26, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #1,618 of 5,364
Quote:
Hey guys, I'n looking for a pair of headphones for use with a tablet. Low impedance, obviously, and portable(small enough to fit in a small compartment in a backpack, or hopefully, in a pocket.

My biggest problem so far has been that my ears haven't fit any in-ears or earbuds that I've tried, ranging from iPhone/iPod buds, Klipsch S4s, UE 600s, and some cheap Koss/Skullcandy buds that weren't mine. I'd love to use in-ears or buds, but because of my previous experiences, I don't want to waste my money if they won't fit, and I have no way of trying any before I purchase them. And yes, I tried all of the replacement cups with the Klipsch and Logitechs. The real problem with the buds, though, is that they're slowly forced out until the seal is broken and they fall out. I'm constantly fighting them.

As far as the sound signature goes, I'd like the frequency response to be somewhat flat, maybe with a slight boost around 80-120Hz, and the upper-midrange, but I can use an EQ if my needs aren't met. I've listened to headphones with boosted treble, boosted sub, and boosted lower midrange, which is not what I want. I'm using a pair of Shure SRH440s right now, and they're not quite what I'd prefer. I'm looking for something a little bit more lively(colorful, I guess). Extension isn't really that important, either. I'm using these for podcasts, movies, and the occasional bit of music, which again, I'd like to see a bit of color around the midbass and upper midrange.

I have a budget of $50 or so for these, and it doesn't matter if they're open or closed. The most important factors physically are that they stay attached well, so if they're over/on ear, they need to have some clamping power. Because of this, I'd like them to be light so they don't cause discomfort.

For the IEMs you could try aftermarket tips like the Comply and the Olives, maybe even some biflanges and triflanges. Seems you're not getting a deep enough seal. 

I was going to suggest the M50s or the KNS8400 until I saw your budget. They almost fit perfectly. Try the Downtowns/S500 (Doc can tell you more about them)/K518 for the form factor. Can't think of anything flat at that price though, unless you go into IEMs (MC5, E30).

Nov 26, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #1,619 of 5,364
I've been reading some more reviews, are the shure 215 not a bass heavy headphone?

It sounds like you are really looking for bass. I consider the se215 to be bass emphasized. An IEM and a over head headpohne is kinda hard to compare. Go for the xb500 if that is your price range. The xb700 would be better. And like I said the UE6000 will rattle your eyeballs and still sound pretty good at the same time.

Good luck.

Nov 26, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #1,620 of 5,364
Quote:

For the IEMs you could try aftermarket tips like the Comply and the Olives, maybe even some biflanges and triflanges. Seems you're not getting a deep enough seal. 

I was going to suggest the M50s or the KNS8400 until I saw your budget. They almost fit perfectly. Try the Downtowns/S500 (Doc can tell you more about them)/K518 for the form factor. Can't think of anything flat at that price though, unless you go into IEMs (MC5, E30).

Well, I'm willing to go with IEMs, it's just that I've always been disappointed with what I've tried. I haven't gone aftermarket for tips, but I just tried my girlfriend's UE600s again, and with the foam tips, they're fairly comfortable, and surprisingly, didn't fall out. Which is great. So, I think I'm probably going to go for IEMs, based on size and portability alone. And I guess you're right -- my budget is too limiting. What about <$100? 

As far as the M50/KNS8400 suggestion, I appreciate it, but even without the budget, they wouldn't be on my radar. They're too similar in size to my SRH440s, and I'm really looking for something much smaller. The Philips phones seem to be the best option of the three portables you suggested, especially with the microphone which I forgot to mention as a major plus(a completely optional and unnecessary plus!!). I'm looking at some reviews for the S500s, which don't really look like bad choices so far, so thanks.

But again, can you suggest some IEMs that match the sound criteria I listed, under $100? Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back