Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Nov 25, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #1,591 of 5,364
Hey everyone, I'm kinda new here and had a bit of a question. What is meant by portable headphones? Does that mean headphones/earphones specfically for smartphones/mp3 players? I want to take the plunge into better headphones (I've only had $20-30 headphones before) for my iphone and laptop (won't be using or buying an amp). How do I know which headphones I will be able to use with my stuff? Will it be enough to power something like the Audio Technica A700 or M-50?

Nov 25, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #1,592 of 5,364
Quote:
Hey everyone, I'm kinda new here and had a bit of a question. What is meant by portable headphones? Does that mean headphones/earphones specfically for smartphones/mp3 players? I want to take the plunge into better headphones (I've only had $20-30 headphones before) for my iphone and laptop (won't be using or buying an amp). How do I know which headphones I will be able to use with my stuff? Will it be enough to power something like the Audio Technica A700 or M-50?

Here, read these:http://www.head-fi.org/t/607282/headphone-amp-impedance-matching-basics-you-need-to-know
                         http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-impedance

Portable headphones usually have low impedance and high sensitivity, so they can be powered easily with portable devices that output less power than a desktop rig.

If you want recommendations on which headphones you should get, please describe your music genres, sound preferences, any value placed on comfort, isolation, build, as well as your budget. 

Nov 25, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #1,593 of 5,364
Quote:
Here, read these:http://www.head-fi.org/t/607282/headphone-amp-impedance-matching-basics-you-need-to-know
                         http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-impedance

Portable headphones usually have low impedance and high sensitivity, so they can be powered easily with portable devices that output less power than a desktop rig.

If you want recommendations on which headphones you should get, please describe your music genres, sound preferences, any value placed on comfort, isolation, build, as well as your budget. 

Thanks for the quick reply!

I'm looking for a headphone $100-150ish to use with my iphone and laptop (it's a realtek so can't really expect much out of it)

I listen to rock and classical/ orchestral

I don't know much about sound preferences, but I would prefer something with a decent stoundstage and bass and is clear.

Comfort and isolation are important bonuses, but it comes second to sound. Build has to be pretty good quality as well.

Nov 25, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #1,594 of 5,364
Thanks for the quick reply!

I'm looking for a headphone $100-150ish to use with my iphone and laptop (it's a realtek so can't really expect much out of it)

I listen to rock and classical/ orchestral

I don't know much about sound preferences, but I would prefer something with a decent stoundstage and bass and is clear.

Comfort and isolation are important bonuses, but it comes second to sound. Build has to be pretty good quality as well.

Are you actually going to be using them on the go? Couple more things we need to know are if you are looking for a closed or open headphone. Open air headphones have vents on the sides that allow for a more spacial feel but are not ideal in noisy environments.

Also do you prefer an on-ear fit or an over hear headphone.

Nov 25, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #1,595 of 5,364
I'll be moving around with them walking around or sitting in places, but nothing where theres lots of movement like the gym or running.

I would like like some closed, though if its possible to have a halfway point between open and closed Im up for that as well (just want it to be quiet while i listen). I don't care too much if its oon ear or over ear

Nov 25, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #1,596 of 5,364
Quote:
I'll be moving around with them walking around or sitting in places, but nothing where theres lots of movement like the gym or running.

I would like like some closed, though if its possible to have a halfway point between open and closed Im up for that as well (just want it to be quiet while i listen). I don't care too much if its oon ear or over ear

The V-Moda M80s are 150 right now on Amazon, they're closed but vented, so you can have the best of both worlds. Very comfortable, nice balanced signature leaning towards the warm side. You could also look at the HM5, A700X (one of my favourite closed-backs), CAL!s, Uptowns. 

Nov 25, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #1,597 of 5,364
+1 on the M80. I was going to throw out there the KNS8400 as a headphone that is over hear that will give you slightly more space and meet both genres nicely and for it's more hard plastic construction may hold up better under a little drizzle now and then.

Nov 25, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #1,598 of 5,364
I'm down to deciding between Downtowns or xb500s or Shure 215's

I'm leaning toward the xb500s. I'm pretty much looking for the greatest bass output/quality. I don't particularly like IEM's cause the seal is annoying, but if they're that much better then I'll go for it. I'm not used to the wearing style either. Is the sound worse if you wear it the "normal" way?

Other suggestions (other than CAL) are welcome

Nov 25, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #1,599 of 5,364
Quote:
I'm down to deciding between Downtowns or xb500s or Shure 215's

I'm leaning toward the xb500s. I'm pretty much looking for the greatest bass output/quality. I don't particularly like IEM's cause the seal is annoying, but if they're that much better then I'll go for it. I'm not used to the wearing style either.

Other suggestions (other than CAL) are welcome

If you are looking for literally head rattling bass without highs that sound like mud cross your fingers and try to pick up that UE6000 drops for cyber monday.

WIth the fiio E11 bass boost on those things were shaking my brain :D

Nov 25, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #1,600 of 5,364
Hey, Everyone. 
This is my first post, so I hope I'm not making a fool of myself. 
I have been lurking around searching reviews, comparisons, what not. Learning a bit as well.

I am in the market for a new set of IEMs. My budget is $100-150 (Give or take)
I am having difficulties trying to find a nice set that I really like.
I listen to mostly metal music, but I honestly listen to everything (rap, rock, techno, classical) except for country.
I would like to get a pair that is perfect for metal music (Structures, Kingmaker, Lamb of God, I Declare War, WhiteChapel) 
Currently I am looking at Shure se215, Westone 1, and a couple of others, but I have yet to fall in love with any so far.
From what I am reading, BA transducers are better than Dynamic transducers? But, you guy's are the pro's, So I will leave it to you!

Any help would be awesome. Meanwhile, I am going to read around. Thank's in advance!

Nov 25, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #1,601 of 5,364
Quote:

If you are looking for literally head rattling bass without highs that sound like mud cross your fingers and try to pick up that UE6000 drops for cyber monday.

WIth the fiio E11 bass boost on those things were shaking my brain :D

Im hoping they drop for cyber monday. Those and vmoda m100s are ones I hope

Although if that doesn't happen, between shure and xb500's which one is a better choice?

Nov 25, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #1,602 of 5,364
Quote:
Hey, Everyone. 
This is my first post, so I hope I'm not making a fool of myself. 
I have been lurking around searching reviews, comparisons, what not. Learning a bit as well.

I am in the market for a new set of IEMs. My budget is $100-150 (Give or take)
I am having difficulties trying to find a nice set that I really like.
I listen to mostly metal music, but I honestly listen to everything (rap, rock, techno, classical) except for country.
I would like to get a pair that is perfect for metal music (Structures, Kingmaker, Lamb of God, I Declare War, WhiteChapel) 
Currently I am looking at Shure se215, Westone 1, and a couple of others, but I have yet to fall in love with any so far.
From what I am reading, BA transducers are better than Dynamic transducers? But, you guy's are the pro's, So I will leave it to you!

Any help would be awesome. Meanwhile, I am going to read around. Thank's in advance!

Not true, both have their pros and cons regarding technical limitations. 

I'd skip the W1s. The most unassuming of the Westone series for me. Falls a bit flat in sound. I'd stick with the SE215, wonderful with metal. I'd also look at the PFE122, GR07 (if you find them on sale, some of the crispest drums out of an IEM), FXD80. 

Nov 25, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #1,603 of 5,364
Quote:
Im hoping they drop for cyber monday. Those and vmoda m100s are ones I hope

Although if that doesn't happen, between shure and xb500's which one is a better choice?

I would take the shure personally in terms of sound quality overall.  The uptown is bassy too but if you crank the bass too much it will sound a bit flabby.  I don't know how the xb responds in that respect.  I have heard it is muddy but i haven't tried it.  @TwinQY have you heard that one?

Nov 25, 2012 at 9:18 PM Post #1,604 of 5,364
Quote:
I would take the shure personally in terms of sound quality overall.  The uptown is bassy too but if you crank the bass too much it will sound a bit flabby.  I don't know how the xb responds in that respect.  I have heard it is muddy but i haven't tried it.  @TwinQY have you heard that one?

Can shure be worn like in a "normal" fashion? I do own a pair of HD 439's so its not too much of a concern for me in terms of sound quality outside of bass.

Nov 25, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #1,605 of 5,364
Quote:
Can shure be worn like in a "normal" fashion? I do own a pair of HD 439's so its not too much of a concern for me in terms of sound quality outside of bass.

Normal?  They are IEMs.  They fit in your ears pretty normally... please clarify.

Edit:  Just google image "SE215 Fit".  The cable goes over your ear.  if that is what you mean.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back