Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Nov 24, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #1,561 of 5,364
Quote:
Hey,

I originally posted this in the Full-Sized advice forum, but haven't gotten a response, so I decided to to try here.

I'm looking for a $300 or under semi-portable headphone. Over or on ear is fine. Mainly going to be used at home, the bus, and in school during study hall, so closed, minimal leakage headphones are preferred.
I mostly listen to bands like the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Sublime, 311, Foo Fighters, Smashing Pumpkins, and other lighter rock bands. So a warm, slightly bassy headphone sounds good.
I'd like them to look decent, and for reference I love the looks of the Sony MDR-1R and the Philips Fidelio L1.
Just ask if you need any more info.

The HD-25-1ii Adidas look decent IMO, and they do really well in terms of rock (aggressive, punchy). Bass quantities are very satisfying. Maybe someone else can chime regarding the other two phones.

Nov 25, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #1,562 of 5,364
Quote:
The HD-25-1ii Adidas look decent IMO, and they do really well in terms of rock (aggressive, punchy). Bass quantities are very satisfying. Maybe someone else can chime regarding the other two phones.

I've tried the HD-25-1ii and I'm looking for something a bit more warm and laid back, but thanks for the suggestion.

Nov 25, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #1,565 of 5,364
Quote:
Bleh, I don't know if it would be possible to reliably maintain 5+ celsius with the equipment I'm bringing, do you have any suggestions to a pair that can handle low temps with good sound quality?

Quote:

The ER4 would be the most durable IEM I know of. Many have reported them lasting for 10, 15 years. It's just really durable plastic, the cables are removable as well. They might isolate a bit too much for outside use, but you can just use some shallower tips.

I can't speak for temps, but my ER4's are as durable as TwinQY describes. I've used them for about 11 years. So long as you replace the filters and keep things clean, they're rugged. I've run over them with my office chair more than a few times and they don't seem to mind.

Nov 25, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #1,566 of 5,364
Hey guys, been a while since I've been on the forums but was thinking of getting a new pair of IEMs. Its been a year since I bought the Monster Pro Miles Davis Tribute and I really enjoyed them but now am thinking about changing things up. I really like the amount of bass the Tributes provide but was wondering if there are others are there that provide the same or more bass. I mostly listen to trance,hip hop/rap, R&B, and alternative rock. So just seeing what you guys could recommend and looking to spend anywhere from $100-$300. Thanks!

Nov 25, 2012 at 1:37 AM Post #1,567 of 5,364
Hey guys, another brand new user to the Head-Fi forums.  I've been doing some research trying to find the perfect set of IEM's for myself.  As soon as I found this site, I knew I was in the right place to be able to make my decision.  I've been checking out various models and feel lost trying to decipher which ones will be the best fit for myself.  I'm looking for a good portable set, as I'll be taking them with me to work often.  My job is nice and cushy retail job, so they won't be seeing tons of abuse, but they will have to deal with me going through the process of opening and closing my store.  My budget probably caps out around $250, but it wouldn't hurt my feelings to keep it between the $150-$250 range.  I typically listen to hard rock/metal.  After doing some research, I'm familiar with many of the different brands, but was immediately drawn to the X10's.  I just liked the small form that they have in comparison to the other ones I've seen.  I also like how comfortable I've read this set is supposed to be, as comfort is a big plus for myself.  Despite this, I've read multiple people say that the cord is fairly fragile and various connections on the set might be prone to break.  As a fan of metal, bass is obviously important, but the most important factor is that the set is balanced.  Any help you guys can offer will be awesome.  Also, I'd like to add that this will be my first set of audio focused anything.  I have had a couple headsets and earbuds, but they were focused on gaming and I just used them for music as a secondary function.  I'm finally just at that point that I really wanted to invest in a quality set.  I'd like to add that this set will also likely be used at home, at least until I invest in some over-ear headphones as well.  

Thanks again! 

Nov 25, 2012 at 1:56 AM Post #1,568 of 5,364
Are the Ety HF5's good? Amazon has them at a good price and I'm looking for a pair of Ety's that produce the "Ety sound" and also doesn't have cable noise. Last year for Cyber Monday Amazon had the MC5's for $40. I reviewed them on here and I was told for $40 it's a good deal. But...that they do have cable noise and don't really produce that real "Ety sound". Well, when I got them I thought the sound was pretty good for $40. But people here were right, that cable noise happens a lot, and it's truly annoying. So basically I only wear them now to sleep in. So will I be getting a good pair of Ety's with the HF5's? No cable noise and that true "Ety sound"? Thanks guys.

EDIT: Actually, one Amazon reviewer gave the headphones a 5 star, but said that there's a small amount of noise from the rubber cable when walking. He said it's not as bad as his previous ER-4P, and when he sinches the cable up to his neck the sound is basically down to zero. Would other HF5 owners agree with him?

Nov 25, 2012 at 2:02 AM Post #1,569 of 5,364
Quote:
Hey guys, been a while since I've been on the forums but was thinking of getting a new pair of IEMs. Its been a year since I bought the Monster Pro Miles Davis Tribute and I really enjoyed them but now am thinking about changing things up. I really like the amount of bass the Tributes provide but was wondering if there are others are there that provide the same or more bass. I mostly listen to trance,hip hop/rap, R&B, and alternative rock. So just seeing what you guys could recommend and looking to spend anywhere from $100-$300. Thanks!

IE8/80, X10, Atrios, FX700, all are good bass-heavy alternatives with their own take on the signature. 

Quote:
Are the Ety HF5's good? Amazon has them at a good price and I'm looking for a pair of Ety's that produce the "Ety sound" and also doesn't have cable noise. Last year for Cyber Monday Amazon had the MC5's for $40. I reviewed them on here and I was told for $40 it's a good deal. But...that they do have cable noise and don't really produce that real "Ety sound". Well, when I got them I thought the sound was pretty good for $40. But people here were right, that cable noise happens a lot, and it's truly annoying. So basically I only wear them now to sleep in. So will I be getting a good pair of Ety's with the HF5's? No cable noise and that true "Ety sound"? Thanks guys.

The HF5 are pretty much identical to the ER4P, with slighly less details and being a smidge warmer. Definitely comes close to 85-90% of the flagship Etys. No microphonics if over-ear (hard to do, you would have to insert them pretty deep to get that cable over)

Quote:
Hey guys, another brand new user to the Head-Fi forums.  I've been doing some research trying to find the perfect set of IEM's for myself.  As soon as I found this site, I knew I was in the right place to be able to make my decision.  I've been checking out various models and feel lost trying to decipher which ones will be the best fit for myself.  I'm looking for a good portable set, as I'll be taking them with me to work often.  My job is nice and cushy retail job, so they won't be seeing tons of abuse, but they will have to deal with me going through the process of opening and closing my store.  My budget probably caps out around $250, but it wouldn't hurt my feelings to keep it between the $150-$250 range.  I typically listen to hard rock/metal.  After doing some research, I'm familiar with many of the different brands, but was immediately drawn to the X10's.  I just liked the small form that they have in comparison to the other ones I've seen.  I also like how comfortable I've read this set is supposed to be, as comfort is a big plus for myself.  Despite this, I've read multiple people say that the cord is fairly fragile and various connections on the set might be prone to break.  As a fan of metal, bass is obviously important, but the most important factor is that the set is balanced.  Any help you guys can offer will be awesome.  Also, I'd like to add that this will be my first set of audio focused anything.  I have had a couple headsets and earbuds, but they were focused on gaming and I just used them for music as a secondary function.  I'm finally just at that point that I really wanted to invest in a quality set.  I'd like to add that this set will also likely be used at home, at least until I invest in some over-ear headphones as well.  

Thanks again! 

Sounds like the X10s are your ticket. I've heard of the build problems as well, but didn't see anything too bad. Maybe someone who's owned them longer can chime in. They should do perfectly for you sound wise though.

Nov 25, 2012 at 2:08 AM Post #1,570 of 5,364
Aww, well that sucks. I really don't want to try to over-the-ear a pair of headphones that really aren't meant for that. I tried to do it with my MC5's and it's pretty difficult. I already have a pair over-the-ears, the Shure SE215's which I love, but I'm wanting to try a good pair of Ety's.

So is there any pair of Ety's that are $100 or less, that produces the sound I want with no microphonics? Or am I going to have to move up to something like the ER-4PT? Which is like $300...

Maybe I'll just wait to see if Amazon does the Triple Fi 10's for Cyber Monday again this year. I remember last year they had them for like $100.

Nov 25, 2012 at 2:12 AM Post #1,571 of 5,364
Quote:
Aww, well that sucks. I really don't want to try to over-the-ear a pair of headphones that really aren't meant for that. I tried to do it with my MC5's and it's pretty difficult. I already have a pair over-the-ears, the Shure SE215's which I love, but I'm wanting to try a good pair of Ety's.

So is there any pair of Ety's that are $100 or less, that produces the sound I want with no microphonics? Or am I going to have to move up to something like the ER-4PT? Which is like $300...

The microphonics on them aren't that bad on the Etys. It's almost not noticealbe under the ear. Better than the cheaper Etys for sure. You only hear them (way less than the RE0 for example) if you don't use a cable cinch, wear them in the front (I tend to wear IEMs from my back) and walk around loudly.

I think the HF5 are still a better value. If I could do it over again, I'd get them instead of the ER4. Sound-wise, way too close for comfort.

Nov 25, 2012 at 2:24 AM Post #1,572 of 5,364
Really. So you would recommend getting them at the $99 price? I'm sure the MC5's are considered cheaper Ety's, so if you say the microphonics on the HF5 is better than the MC5(which isn't terrible by the way, especially with the chin cinch, I'm just used to IEM's with absolutely no cable noise), especially with the chin cinch, then I'll give them a shot. It's not like $99 is going to make me or break me.

Besides, maybe I'll try them from the back. Never tried an IEM that way... And I never knew the RE0's had bad microphonics, I almost got a pair of those at one point.

Thank you for your help, Twin. I do appreciate it.

Nov 25, 2012 at 2:30 AM Post #1,573 of 5,364
Quote:
Really. So you would recommend getting them at the $99 price? I'm sure the MC5's are considered cheaper Ety's, so if you say the microphonics on the HF5 is better than the MC5(which isn't terrible by the way, especially with the chin cinch, I'm just used to IEM's with absolutely no cable noise), especially with the chin cinch, then I'll give them a shot. It's not like $99 is going to make me or break me.

Besides, maybe I'll try them from the back. Never tried an IEM that way... And I never knew the RE0's had bad microphonics, I almost got a pair of those at one point.

Thank you for your help, Twin. I do appreciate it.

Yeah, almost never any microphonics for me from the back. The 8320, which is known to be a ridculously microphonic cable, completely disappears when wearing it like that (along with the cinch).

$99. Won't hurt too much, as you said. That's like, what, 1/10 of a LCD-2? Hope you like them though. I think they're one of the best values in IEMs.

Nov 25, 2012 at 2:59 AM Post #1,574 of 5,364
Hi guys,

I love the sound of AKG k315, and I hate in-ears.  The problem with the K315 is that they break very easily.  I've been through numerous pairs throughout the years and I'm sick of replacing them.  Unfortunately I've yet to find a pair that matches that kind of warm, bassy sound that I love.  I've been recommended and tried the yuin pk3 and sennheiser mx560 but the sound is either too clear or not bassy enough.  I would like to know if there are other options?  This has bothered me for years, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back