Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Nov 25, 2012 at 3:24 AM Post #1,576 of 5,364
Hi, I'm looking for a new pair of earphones with inline mic for my iPhone since I had my House of Marley Redemption Song ones stolen. I have to say I quite liked them overrall, though I found them a little uncomfortable to wear for long but that was my first foray into in-ear phones so I wasn't sure what to expect. I will be using mainly to listen to music (rock, pop, acoustic), for phone calls, and also for movies on laptop.

My criteria are:

- In-ear, though I would also consider earbuds. I have a pair of full-size for home use already.
- Inline mic with 3-button iPhone compatible remote (I found this very useful)
- Able to wear cable drop-down (I do not want cables over the ear even if it has benefits)
- Durability very important as they will be sitting in my pocket with my phone most of the time.
- Tangle-free cable, NOT J-shape, fabric would be welcome - I really liked the fabric cable on the Redemption Songs
- Wood material a plus, or if not a classy design that's not too flashy.
- Preferably a right-angled plug
- High-isolation is not important to me so I don't want deep-insertion, comfort is more important as I will be taking them in and out a lot.
- Will not be using them for sport/jogging
- I'm not so concerned by having thumping bass, more interested in clear soundstage and vocals.
- Budget somewhat variable, but not more than $150, preferably less than $100.

At the moment I may just get another pair of Redemption Songs, or perhaps their Zion ones as they appear to have a more rounded design that may fit better. But if anyone has other suggestions that fulfil the criteria above, I'd be very happy to hear!

Thanks in advance....

Nov 25, 2012 at 3:54 AM Post #1,577 of 5,364
Quote:
Hi, I'm looking for a new pair of earphones with inline mic for my iPhone since I had my House of Marley Redemption Song ones stolen. I have to say I quite liked them overrall, though I found them a little uncomfortable to wear for long but that was my first foray into in-ear phones so I wasn't sure what to expect. I will be using mainly to listen to music (rock, pop, acoustic), for phone calls, and also for movies on laptop.

My criteria are:

- In-ear, though I would also consider earbuds. I have a pair of full-size for home use already.
- Inline mic with 3-button iPhone compatible remote (I found this very useful)
- Able to wear cable drop-down (I do not want cables over the ear even if it has benefits)
- Durability very important as they will be sitting in my pocket with my phone most of the time.
- Tangle-free cable, NOT J-shape, fabric would be welcome - I really liked the fabric cable on the Redemption Songs
- Wood material a plus, or if not a classy design that's not too flashy.
- Preferably a right-angled plug
- High-isolation is not important to me so I don't want deep-insertion, comfort is more important as I will be taking them in and out a lot.
- Will not be using them for sport/jogging
- I'm not so concerned by having thumping bass, more interested in clear soundstage and vocals.
- Budget somewhat variable, but not more than $150, preferably less than $100.

At the moment I may just get another pair of Redemption Songs, or perhaps their Zion ones as they appear to have a more rounded design that may fit better. But if anyone has other suggestions that fulfil the criteria above, I'd be very happy to hear!

Thanks in advance....

Thinksound MS01 are woodies, haven't heard them before though. I'd recommend the A161P based on sound (aims for that clear sound sig you're looking for) and functionality (can be worn straight down, mic version available, comfort is good). 

Quote:
Hi guys,

I love the sound of AKG k315, and I hate in-ears.  The problem with the K315 is that they break very easily.  I've been through numerous pairs throughout the years and I'm sick of replacing them.  Unfortunately I've yet to find a pair that matches that kind of warm, bassy sound that I love.  I've been recommended and tried the yuin pk3 and sennheiser mx560 but the sound is either too clear or not bassy enough.  I would like to know if there are other options?  This has bothered me for years, thanks.

If you want that bass, and with buds, Earpods. I'm serious. These have some of the best bass out of earbuds that I've heard. Everything else is fairly good, though not as balanced as the old apple buds (though more detailed and fuller bodied)

Nov 25, 2012 at 4:03 AM Post #1,578 of 5,364
Appreciate the reply, and this may sound stupid, but I hate anything gold-looking so the A161Ps are out. Will check out the MS01. Although I like wood, it's not a requirement and I'll happily consider others
Quote:

Thinksound MS01 are woodies, haven't heard them before though. I'd recommend the A161P based on sound (aims for that clear sound sig you're looking for) and functionality (can be worn straight down, mic version available, comfort is good).

Nov 25, 2012 at 4:14 AM Post #1,579 of 5,364
Quote:
Appreciate the reply, and this may sound stupid, but I hate anything gold-looking so the A161Ps are out. Will check out the MS01. Although I like wood, it's not a requirement and I'll happily consider others

The SBA-03, which are the same OEM design, and sound exactly identical, are silver instead of gold. No mic though 
frown.gif
 and the cable is apparently worse. 

Honestly, though, the gold thing might be ruining what really fits every other requirement. That part goes straight into the ears, so you won't see them in the end. Oh, well, aesthetics are personal. Reason why I got the W4 instead of the W4R (the lettering was chunky)

Nov 25, 2012 at 4:24 AM Post #1,580 of 5,364
Quote:

IE8/80, X10, Atrios, FX700, all are good bass-heavy alternatives with their own take on the signature.

Hey TwinQY thanks for the recommendations. I was looking into the FX700 but I heard since they're an open-backed IEM that sound leaks a good amount and it doesn't isolate that well. I was wondering if there are any IEMs that isolate well as well as has the same sound signature as the FX700 or do they do a sufficient job isolating well. And I know its weird but are there IEMs that sound well that I don't have to wear around my ear and wear them straight down? Thanks again for the help.

Nov 25, 2012 at 4:32 AM Post #1,581 of 5,364
Quote:

Hey TwinQY thanks for the recommendations. I was looking into the FX700 but I heard since they're an open-backed IEM that sound leaks a good amount and it doesn't isolate that well. I was wondering if there are any IEMs that isolate well as well as has the same sound signature as the FX700 or do they do a sufficient job isolating well. And I know its weird but are there IEMs that sound well that I don't have to wear around my ear and wear them straight down? Thanks again for the help.

The thing that makes the FX700 the FX700 is the fact that they're open. They do not isolate by any stretch. For isolating, straight down wearing, maybe the X10 or the XBA-4?. If you reverse the channels on say, the IE80, you could wear them straight down (although I highly recommend going over-ear, from the back; less microphonics - to the point of non-existence, more convenient, etc, etc).

Nov 25, 2012 at 6:23 AM Post #1,582 of 5,364
Hi I'm looking for a good pair of in ear headphones since my previous pair of A-jays 1 broke (snapped cord, you would think that they're unbreakable but I seem to have a knack of disproving the impossible...)
I usually listen to J-pop and electronic music, and am looking for something in the under 50 dollars price range. I've heard wonders of FX40 and sony m1hc, but haven't quite been able to find any them near where I live and I can't shop online yet... So I was wondering if anything of the xtreme xplosive, sennheiser or ultimate ears would be able to fit the above criteria. If there are none in the above, could anyone kindly give me some suggestions for good phones. Oh and good isolation would be a huge plus 
Thanks in advance 

Nov 25, 2012 at 10:25 AM Post #1,583 of 5,364
Quote:

Impedance shouldn't be everything. I mean, look at the HE-6...

Doc can tell you about the DT1350s, so I'll mainly stick with the IEM suggestions. I understand how the ER4P can be a bit soundstage lacking. I would cross out the SE535 if you really want that tight bass, and stick with the W4. They would be the IEMs I'd say that has a very similar sound signature with the HD650 (midbass bump,  warm, lush, mid centric, with the treble gradually decending). The presentation is also much wider than the Etys, with fantastic imaging. Bass goes fairly deep, and are pretty forgiving for low-quality stuff. They are also my favourites for classical, metal, ambient. Good deal on these (30% off with thanks2012 coupon) on Earphonesolution right now as well, only until tomorrow though, so best that you jump on them now if you're getting them. I got my pair last Black Friday sale as well.

Somehow, I agree with you about the Amazon music thing. They must do some weird track normalizing or something,  

Thanks for the advice.  After thinking on it a bit, I also realized that the IEMs would be better for workouts.  So now I'm still internally debating the W4s or the SE535s.  I can see the frequency response graphs for the shures vs the HD650s and there're quite a bit of difference from 3k-5k hertz.  But I can't tell so much about the westone.  Maybe the frequency graph isn't a good indicator of anything for IEMs since the shape of your ear canal could influence things??  Welp, whatever I decide on, I'll need to make it fast.  Only one more day on that sale!  Thanks for the heads up!

Nov 25, 2012 at 10:51 AM Post #1,584 of 5,364
Quote:
Thanks for the advice.  After thinking on it a bit, I also realized that the IEMs would be better for workouts.  So now I'm still internally debating the W4s or the SE535s.  I can see the frequency response graphs for the shures vs the HD650s and there're quite a bit of difference from 3k-5k hertz.  But I can't tell so much about the westone.  Maybe the frequency graph isn't a good indicator of anything for IEMs since the shape of your ear canal could influence things??  Welp, whatever I decide on, I'll need to make it fast.  Only one more day on that sale!  Thanks for the heads up!

Ok...weird.  I just started an order on earphone solutions and it clearly says using THANKS2012 code will give 30% discount and it ends on Nov 25th, but my order is ringing up with only a 10$ discount.  I didn't see any exclusions on Westone or Shure (Grado and Sennheiser were not included though).  Any clue what's up or did I misunderstand the web page?  Today is the 25th.  Is it already too late?

Edit...I tried again and the sale price "took".  Whew!

Nov 25, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #1,585 of 5,364
Hi I'm looking for a good pair of in ear headphones since my previous pair of A-jays 1 broke (snapped cord, you would think that they're unbreakable but I seem to have a knack of disproving the impossible...)
I usually listen to J-pop and electronic music, and am looking for something in the under 50 dollars price range. I've heard wonders of FX40 and sony m1hc, but haven't quite been able to find any them near where I live and I can't shop online yet... So I was wondering if anything of the xtreme xplosive, sennheiser or ultimate ears would be able to fit the above criteria. If there are none in the above, could anyone kindly give me some suggestions for good phones. Oh and good isolation would be a huge plus 
Thanks in advance 

The Sennheiser CX200 isolate decently and sound pretty good for the price. You are going to want to get them on a sale price because they can be had online for $20.

Nov 25, 2012 at 12:59 PM Post #1,586 of 5,364
Hi guys, kinda new here and looking for an advice.

I am using COWON Z2 player and listen mainly to rock/metal music, and looking for earphones/headphones.
My budget is about 60$, the less the better :D.

I was thinking about the vSonic GR06, and would like to know if there any other better option?
How do these earphones compare to the next ones:
MEElectronics 151
AKG K518
AKG Q460

also, are the shure SE215 are much better and worth the money?
How are the AstroTec AM-90 compared to the GR06, and are the GR06 worth the extra 20$?

Right now I am using fake AKG K324P which cost about 12$ on ebay, will I notice a major difference?

Thank you very much and sorry for my English :)

Nov 25, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #1,587 of 5,364
Hi all,

I've been lurking for quite some time. I'm currently looking for an IEM that meets the following criteria:

1) Leans analytical in sound signature
2) Excellent soundstage and instrument separation
3) Very good isolation (will be worn in train)
4) Can be worn ear-down (vs. over ear)

As to the sound I prefer, I bought the Rockitsounds R-50 and enjoyed the sound, but the over-ear memory cord was way too fussy for me so I returned them. I currently own the ATH CKM500, but they're a little warm for my taste and I'm unhappy with the soundstage. I also have the monoprice 8320, which I like and use at the gym, but I'd like to upgrade.

I'm leaning toward a dual BA, but I'm totally open to other suggestions. I'd like to keep it under $200 if at all possible, and the lower the better.

Many thanks!

Nov 25, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #1,588 of 5,364
I hate to add to the pile of advice requests, but I'm considering a Black Friday deal, so I need to jump on it if I do go for it. In short: Should I wait for the Cosmic Ears HY3, or grab the Westone 3 while I can afford to, with the possibility that I may need to reshell?

I'm looking for a pair of ~$250-300 IEMs. My right ear canal is impossibly finicky about keeping a seal in universals, so I've been looking mostly at CIEMs. I listen to classical professionally, but electronica for pleasure, and the combination makes it a little tough to find something good at both.

I'm super-intrigued by the Cosmic Ears HY3–I'm thinking the BAs will give me good-quality classical while the DD will keep the bass and sub-bass thumping. On the other hand, the Westone 3 has a reputation for good lower extension in the bass and a decent rep for electronic as Westones go, and it's supposed to be a stellar classical set.

Will the sound of the Westones be egregiously affected if fit require that I reshell them? Or should I go with a CIEM that is built the way I will use it?

Nov 25, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #1,589 of 5,364
The ER4 would be the most durable IEM I know of. Many have reported them lasting for 10, 15 years. It's just really durable plastic, the cables are removable as well. They might isolate a bit too much for outside use, but you can just use some shallower tips. I still think the SE425 would be fine, just be careful with them. 

The DUNUs are the ones I usually reserve as gifts to friends who don't take care of their stuff. They take a beating really well. No one I know's broken their pair yet. 

Interesting!
I'll have a look-see and order them.

How about the Monster Turbines? I was hesitant to get them on Black Friday though they were only $79. But now they are $99.
I have a gift card for Amazon that is worth $15 so I can still grab them at $85.
Would you say the Turbines are worth it?

And how about Turbine quality? I heard Monster's customer service is horrendous :D

Nov 25, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #1,590 of 5,364
Quote:
Interesting!
I'll have a look-see and order them.
How about the Monster Turbines? I was hesitant to get them on Black Friday though they were only $79. But now they are $99.
I have a gift card for Amazon that is worth $15 so I can still grab them at $85.
Would you say the Turbines are worth it?
And how about Turbine quality? I heard Monster's customer service is horrendous
biggrin.gif

Bass is great, overall very decent. They used to run at 130, but at this price, they're definitely worth it. Monster's CS isn't too bad, and with their lifetime warranty...

Quote:
Hi guys, kinda new here and looking for an advice.

I am using COWON Z2 player and listen mainly to rock/metal music, and looking for earphones/headphones.
My budget is about 60$, the less the better :D.

I was thinking about the vSonic GR06, and would like to know if there any other better option?
How do these earphones compare to the next ones:
MEElectronics 151
AKG K518
AKG Q460

also, are the shure SE215 are much better and worth the money?
How are the AstroTec AM-90 compared to the GR06, and are the GR06 worth the extra 20$?

Right now I am using fake AKG K324P which cost about 12$ on ebay, will I notice a major difference?

Thank you very much and sorry for my English :)

The GR06 are very good value for the money. They're a bit lush and...well, not slow, but, definitely not an aggressive IEM. Don't know how that'd pan out for metal and the likes. I know people who really like the Q460, and the K518 is just a fun listen. I think for rock/metal, the SE215 might be worth it though. 

Quote:
Hi all,

I've been lurking for quite some time. I'm currently looking for an IEM that meets the following criteria:

1) Leans analytical in sound signature
2) Excellent soundstage and instrument separation
3) Very good isolation (will be worn in train)
4) Can be worn ear-down (vs. over ear)

As to the sound I prefer, I bought the Rockitsounds R-50 and enjoyed the sound, but the over-ear memory cord was way too fussy for me so I returned them. I currently own the ATH CKM500, but they're a little warm for my taste and I'm unhappy with the soundstage. I also have the monoprice 8320, which I like and use at the gym, but I'd like to upgrade.

I'm leaning toward a dual BA, but I'm totally open to other suggestions. I'd like to keep it under $200 if at all possible, and the lower the better.

Many thanks!

Sounds exactly, and I mean exactly like the HF5/ER4P. Flat and analytical, separation is ridiculous, isolation beats out everything under the sun (-36-45dB), can be worn straight down. If you really want a dual BA, the B2/DBA-02 (if you reverse the channels, you can wear them straight down)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back