Buying one tomorrow! POLL Included! Just please vote and be honest, thanks.
Aug 1, 2010 at 9:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

runthistown

New Head-Fier
SO I need help deciding at the last hour on which to get tomorrow,

Sennhesier HD650 or AKG K702.

I have a WA2 and ready to rock n' roll! I'm really going to buy which ever according to the votes, so please vote, comment (if needed to) and be honest.

Thank you for all the help

Aug 1, 2010 at 9:17 PM Post #2 of 14
I voted for the HD650s because I am not a fan of the K702s with tubes (even though I usually always prefer tubes...except of course with these headphones).

BTW, I have heard the K701 with the WA2....not an ideal combo. Your amp excels a lot more with the HD650s.

FWIW, I've owned both headphones for quite some time and only sold them off early this year.

Aug 1, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #3 of 14
I'm sorry, but we can't help you decide if you don't provide us with any information about how you will be using them. What kinds of music do you listen to? Are you planning on using an amp? Is there a specific sound signature you are looking for?

I'm quite certain that you have read many reviews about both, to see the strengths and weaknesses of each headphone. Am I correct? It all boils down to your preference really. Nobody can really decide for you, because we will have plenty of fans on both sides of the board.

Aug 1, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #4 of 14
Well, I listen to everything, so here that goes!

I will be using them at home?...hmmm

WA2 is the amp, but never mind that. I listened to both and they sound very similar except for the HD650 which sounds more balanced, and laid back...so that takes me to you guys to help me decide.

I would'nt mind living with either, but the question is, which one will I enjoy in the long run with proper burn-in?

Aug 1, 2010 at 9:26 PM Post #5 of 14
I voted the HD-650's because I have a pair and they've given me no reason to dislike them.

Word to the wise, when you first plug them in you'll think they have a very compressed sound stage.  With usage, over the next couple hundred hours, they open up nicely and instrument separation improves also.  I EQ the sound quality with bumps on the 60 and 120 Hz sliders and bumps on the 1k, 2k and 4k sliders.

I drive these cans with an ASUS Xonar STX sound card and an upgraded power supply unit.  I currently have on order a custom set of Double Helix Cable, headphone cables which should arrive mid-week, next week.  Expectation is to aid in the removal of the veil you've probably read of.

Currently listening to "Stairway to Heaven."

Now that these headphones are getting broke in and opening up accordingly, the beauty of these headphones are, once the headphone cables that are on order arrive, I don't have that nagging feeling to upgrade anything else; headphone bliss.

The WA2, should easily get you there.
beerchug.gif

Aug 1, 2010 at 9:30 PM Post #6 of 14

Quote:
I voted the HD-650's because I have a pair and they've given me no reason to dislike them.

Word to the wise, when you first plug them in you'll think they have a very compressed sound stage.  With usage, over the next couple hundred hours, they open up nicely and instrument separation improves also.  I EQ the sound quality with bumps on the 60 and 120 Hz sliders and bumps on the 1k, 2k and 4k sliders.

I use an ASUS Xonar STX sound card and an upgraded power supply unit to drive these cans with.  I currently have on order a custom set of headphone cables which should arrive mid-week, next week.  Expectation is to aid the veil you read of.

Currently listening to "Stairway to Heaven."

Now that these headphones are being broken in and opening up accordingly, the beauty of these headphones are, once the headphone cables that are on order arrive, I don't have that nagging feeling to upgrade anything else; headphone bliss.

The WA2, should easily get you there.
beerchug.gif

FYI...the veil was really only for the older first run of HD650s. They did change them over a few years back to the "silver drivers" and the veil is basically gone.

If you're hearing a "veil", then it would most likely by your soundcard. Honestly, you really need a dedicated desktop headphone amp for the HD650s to sound closer to their potential. The cable upgrade will be minimal. and I think your funds would have been better spent on amp'ing.

Please don't come back and say: "well my soundcard with upgraded power supply drives them very loud". Amp'ing is not for volume, but for quality: tightens/improves bass, brings the mids out and keeps your treble from falling off too early. As well, their are improvements to sound stage with better amping.

Aug 1, 2010 at 9:35 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:
Katun said:

I'm sorry, but we can't help you decide if you don't provide us with any information about how you will be using them.

Quote:
I will be using them at home?...hmmm

What I meant was: the source you plug them into, the music you listen to (already covered), any possible amp, etc.

Quote:
runthistown said:

they sound very similar except for the HD650 which sounds more balanced

I think you answered your own question.
wink.gif

But... if I could choose between the two, and by what I've read... I would go for the HD650's.

Aug 1, 2010 at 9:40 PM Post #8 of 14
Honestly, you really need a dedicated desktop headphone amp for the HD650s to sound closer to their potential.

Not trying to argue with your above, it's a philosophical thing, I don't want the clutter of a headphone amp on the computer table, that's why I went with the upgraded sound card and power supply unit.

The cable upgrade will be minimal.

It's all synergy, one piece of the chain building on the other.  Power supply unit > Sound Card > Headphone Cable > Headphones.

...and I think your funds would have been better spent on amp'ing.

Well, FWIW, the cat is out of the bag and running around pooping in the backyard; the money is already spent and the sound?.....money well spent.  Don't have nothing to compare the sound quality to so I just have to let my happiness be my guide.

Please don't come back and say: "well my soundcard with upgraded power supply drives them very loud". Amp'ing is not for volume, but for quality: tightens/improves bass, brings the mids out and keeps your treble from falling off too early. As well, their are improvements to sound stage with better amping.

You must have me confused with somebody else as what you write above is not what I write in my comments.  I have repeatedly try to write that even at low listening levels, the bass is tight, mids are sweet and the highs are smooth and lack harshness or clipping.  I have no idea or feel for the falling treble that you write of. 

???

Now listening to Neil Young: "Down By The River"

Aug 1, 2010 at 9:42 PM Post #9 of 14

Quote:
Honestly, you really need a dedicated desktop headphone amp for the HD650s to sound closer to their potential.

Not trying to argue with your above, it's a philosophical thing, I don't want the clutter of a headphone amp on the computer table, that's why I went with the upgraded sound card and power supply unit.

The cable upgrade will be minimal.

It's all synergy, one piece of the chain building on the other.  Power supply unit > Sound Card > Headphone Cable > Headphones.

...and I think your funds would have been better spent on amp'ing.

Well, FWIW, the cat is out of the bag and running around pooping in the backyard; the money is already spent and the sound?.....money well spent.  Don't have nothing to compare the sound quality to so I just have to let my happiness be my guide.

Now listening to Neil Young: "Down By The River"

No issues, Rome wasn't built in a day.

Just some thoughts for down the road.
evil_smiley.gif
You should really hear the HD650s with the WA2. I mean wow!

(and think of the HD650s as a gateway to system upgraditis as they scale very, very well).

Aug 1, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #10 of 14
Just some thoughts for down the road.
evil_smiley.gif
You should really hear the HD650s with the WA2. I mean wow!

No argument but the money has to go to the house; hundred and fifty foot tree removal (bark beetles, done), caulk and seal the driveway before this winter (just completed), next, upgrade the sprinkler system to accommodate growing landscape and the addition of new shredded bark to landscaping front and back after the house is caulk, sealed and painted, not to mention the need to repair a now leaking spa.

triportsad.gif

Aug 1, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #11 of 14
+1 HD650.

But I might be biased.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back