Buying new IEM's. Shure SE535, or 1964-Q?
May 18, 2011 at 12:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

bbindon

New Head-Fier
This is my first post, so firstly I apologize if this has been discussed before. I did a search and didn't see any direct comparisons, so I figured I would create a new thread and get some feedback.

I am looking for a nice set of IEMs to replace my old Klipsch Custom 3's that I returned (due to the wire being...well...terrible).

Initially, I was pretty set on the Shure SE535s, for a few reasons. a) they have been pretty well recieved in terms of the sound quality they produce b) the removeable, heavy duty wires (this is huge for me, as the klipsch's were a nightmare) , and the 2 year warranty is important when spending a chunk of cash on IEMs in my opinion.

I know the 1964s have a one year warranty, but I am mainly concerned with their sonic quality compared to the SE535s, as well as wondering if they have removable cords. (They kind of look like they do) According to the website, they are about 500 bucks, which puts them in the same price range as the 535's (excluding the ear impression)

If anyone has any feedback, or pros and cons to each set, that would be a big help to me making this desicion.

Thanks!

Bryan

May 19, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #3 of 5
I am fairly certain that the 1964 quads will be quite a bit superior to the 535's in terms of sound. You will also get a more consistent and comfortable fit.  The cables on the 1964's are replaceable.  The 535's don't really have much of an advantage unless you particularly like their sound signature which has somewhat pronounced mids.

May 19, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #4 of 5
Thanks for your responses!

I have decided to order the Shure SE535 first, just because they will be easier to replace if I dont like them. The customs would be really tough to get rid of because, well, they are custom.

I will let you guys know what I think of the shures!

May 20, 2011 at 2:37 PM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
  The cables on the 1964's are replaceable.  The 535's don't really have much of an advantage unless you particularly like their sound signature which has somewhat pronounced mids.

535 cables are also replacable, and the cable quality is higher too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back