Buying new headphones
Jan 8, 2012 at 5:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

ScottieA27

New Head-Fier
I am looking for a new pair of over the ear headphones. I travel a lot so I have become very interested in a noise-cancelling headphone but I am also looking for something with great sound and around the $250-$300 range. I know a bunch of people who have the Beats by Dre Studio headphones so I was leaning towards those but after reading various blogs on headphones I have found out that they might not be the best headphones for the amount of money one would shell out for a pair.

I would greatly appreciate it, being that I am not too knowledgable in the audio/headphone industry, if someone could recommend some headphones that I could buy that would be better than the Studios.

Thanks!

Jan 8, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #3 of 23
Considering you were about to buy the Beats, I assume you want something bassy? What kind of music are you into? Have you considered getting IEMs, which isolate more noise than any full-size headphone can?

Jan 8, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #5 of 23

Quote:
For full size headphones -

Sennheiser HD 25-1 II

Audio Technica ATH-M50

Beyerdynamic DT1350

V-moda crossfade

Ultrasone HFI580

Ultrasone HFI780

Brainwavz HM5

Being on-ear, I'd rule out the Sennheiser because the OP wants to use it for travel and needs maximum noise isolation. The M50 is a good option, but since the OP has the budget for it they may as well go higher-end. The V-Modas are an interesting choice, but I'm not sure how isolation would fare on a plane. The HFI-580 would be another choice to consider, but as with the M50 it isn't necessarily the best choice given the OP's price range. The 780 may not work because the OP wants no amp and it doesn't sound anywhere near its best without one in my experience. The HM5 is actually a very interesting choice because it sounds more expensive than it is, but it has amping troubles and the neutral sound signature probably will turn the OP off. I cannot comment on the Beyers as I've not owned or thoroughly tested them.

Of that list, I'd recommend the HM5 for isolation, the 580 for bassiness, and the V-Moda for style. However, most of them are well below your price range.

Sincerely,

Jan 8, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #6 of 23
Tbh you should get tf10s great isolation amazing sound

Jan 8, 2012 at 7:05 PM Post #7 of 23

Quote:
Tbh you should get tf10s great isolation amazing sound

I agree the in-ear monitors may be better for your purposes than full-size headphones. They isolate much better than any full-size, and are ultra-portable. For your price, you can get some extremely good IEMs.

Jan 8, 2012 at 7:08 PM Post #8 of 23
I listen to pretty much everything but I would say that 80% of my music choice would be hip hop. I liked the Beats because obviously the bass is noticeable but I read in blogs that the bass in the Beats can muddle the sound. So I guess what I am trying to say is that I want a headphone with good bass but not something that muddles the noise of the highs.

Jan 8, 2012 at 7:09 PM Post #9 of 23

Quote:
I listen to pretty much everything but I would say that 80% of my music choice would be hip hop. I liked the Beats because obviously the bass is noticeable but I read in blogs that the bass in the Beats can muddle the sound. So I guess what I am trying to say is that I want a headphone with good bass but not something that muddles the noise of the highs.

Yes, you'll find out very quickly that though Beats have the bass quantity you like, their bass quality is absolutely horrid. So what do you think of in-ears?

Jan 8, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #11 of 23
I agree with some of the above posters, IEMs are ideal for noise cancelling as many other over ear heapdhones at that price range do not isolate extremely well, while many cans in that price range sound fantastic, they just aren't meant for noisy travel and cancelling out sound.

Sorry I can't recommend any IEMs for you, my IEMs are the Klipsch S4 and they only run at $63.00.

I'm not sure if you gave that price range as a max or not but if you wanna save a few hundred, grab these in-ears along with some nice comply foam tips, you will not hear a single solitary sound I can assure you, and these IEMs are definitely the best sound quality for that price I can promise you that. They sound a lot like my ATH-M50s in my opinion, the bass is tight and deep, and these IEMs actually have a punchier bass than the M50s to be honest. The mids are nice and clean and the highs are fresh and crisp.

Just my 2 cents.

EDIT: Not only will the IEMs with the foam tips keep out every single sound, even with no music playing, noises are very quiet. But they are top notch comfort, you can wear them literally all day with no fatigue.

Jan 8, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #12 of 23
I'm all ears for any recommendations on noise-cancelling IEM's as well. I was just more set on the look of over the ear headphones but if an in ear headphone can supply good sound quality and good noise cancellation then I would be interested in that as well.

Jan 8, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #13 of 23
Quick question with in ear headphones though...if I were to be wearing them for a long period of time (travelling) would they expand my ear cavity and cause them to not fit as tight, or even fall out? I have experienced this problem before with cheaper in ear headphones.

Jan 8, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #14 of 23

Quote:
Quick question with in ear headphones though...if I were to be wearing them for a long period of time (travelling) would they expand my ear cavity and cause them to not fit as tight, or even fall out? I have experienced this problem before with cheaper in ear headphones.

Perhaps you missed my post or are not sure what I meant by foam tips as I myself didn't know what they were a few months back before I got my own.

You can buy these nice foam tips from the brand Comply, or make your own for a cheaper way by cutting up some sleep earplugs.

Basically the comply ones are nice because they have a large variety so you can choose which one fits your IEM then you choose your size, small medium or large, If you are unsure since it's a new type of tip I'd get the medium because it should fit almost any ear the way these work.

Basically you pinch the tips into a small cylinder and insert into your ears, the memory foam will expand to get a perfect fit of your ear canal. I'd say they are almost impossible to fall out on their own, I work out in them all the time even when I play basketball or something when I'm jumping up and down a lot they don't move a centimeter. This also gives the best possible isolation.

Jan 8, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #15 of 23

Quote:
Being on-ear, I'd rule out the Sennheiser because the OP wants to use it for travel and needs maximum noise isolation. The M50 is a good option, but since the OP has the budget for it they may as well go higher-end. The V-Modas are an interesting choice, but I'm not sure how isolation would fare on a plane. The HFI-580 would be another choice to consider, but as with the M50 it isn't necessarily the best choice given the OP's price range. The 780 may not work because the OP wants no amp and it doesn't sound anywhere near its best without one in my experience. The HM5 is actually a very interesting choice because it sounds more expensive than it is, but it has amping troubles and the neutral sound signature probably will turn the OP off. I cannot comment on the Beyers as I've not owned or thoroughly tested them.

Of that list, I'd recommend the HM5 for isolation, the 580 for bassiness, and the V-Moda for style. However, most of them are well below your price range.

Sincerely,

So would you say that the 780's sound better than the 580's? Or that the 580's sound better than the 780's unless the 780's are accompanied by and amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back