Buying new headphones
Jan 8, 2012 at 7:28 PM Post #16 of 23

Quote:
Perhaps you missed my post or are not sure what I meant by foam tips as I myself didn't know what they were a few months back before I got my own.

You can buy these nice foam tips from the brand Comply, or make your own for a cheaper way by cutting up some sleep earplugs.

Basically the comply ones are nice because they have a large variety so you can choose which one fits your IEM then you choose your size, small medium or large, If you are unsure since it's a new type of tip I'd get the medium because it should fit almost any ear the way these work.

Basically you pinch the tips into a small cylinder and insert into your ears, the memory foam will expand to get a perfect fit of your ear canal. I'd say they are almost impossible to fall out on their own, I work out in them all the time even when I play basketball or something when I'm jumping up and down a lot they don't move a centimeter. This also gives the best possible isolation.

Ok I gotcha. The in ear headphones that I had before were real cheap and just had rubber tips so they would fall out easily with any moisture or long-term use. I guess I will have to do some research on good IEM's with a good bass and clear sound.

Jan 8, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #17 of 23
I have the UE Super.Fi 5 Pro ie's and I think they would work perfectly for your purposes. They don't make them any more but you might be able to find them online somewhere. They were $250 when I got them, right at your price range. I think you can get UE triple.fi 10's in your price range these days, too.
The Ultimate Ears are great because they come with four sets of tips - three sizes of rubber (small, medium, large), and foam. I use the medium rubber tips. The manual that came with the phones said if you lick your finger and wet the tips before inserting this will create a seal. I do this every time, and it works perfectly. Almost no extraneous sound enters my ears, and, importantly, the bass is much worse if you don't have a seal.
I was amazed at their sound quality, and they come with a very rugged carrying case that I bring everywhere. The great thing about the iem's is that you don't need an amp--you really need things turned way down because they're so sensitive. So that's nice.
The one downside is that sometimes I like to have a snack on the plane or coffee shop or something, and chewing while having these is extremely loud and quite uncomfortable. Just a minor thing to think about perhaps!

Jan 9, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #18 of 23
Alright since I was planning on spending around $300 for headphones I have decided to buy a pair of over ear headphones as well as some cheaper IEM's. I will get the IEM's at a later date but I have narrowed down my search for over ear headphones to:

Audio-Technica ATH-M50

Ultrasone HFI-780

V-Moda Crossfade LP2

Which headphones do you guys think are the best out of these 3? Remember I listen to alot of hip hop so I want good bass but not something that is too crazy so that it distorts the mids and highs

Thanks!

Jan 9, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #19 of 23
If you go to Electronics Expo you can get the Sennheiser HD 598 for $168 when you use the coupon code BOUNTII. These are normally $249.99 headphones so it's a great deal. Otherwise, the ATH-M50's seem to be one of the more popular ones on the forum. I almost got it before I ordered the HD 598's.

Jan 9, 2012 at 12:47 AM Post #20 of 23

Quote:
If you go to Electronics Expo you can get the Sennheiser HD 598 for $168 when you use the coupon code BOUNTII. These are normally $249.99 headphones so it's a great deal. Otherwise, the ATH-M50's seem to be one of the more popular ones on the forum. I almost got it before I ordered the HD 598's.

Thanks for the post. I decided to go with the LP2's because of the 60-day satisfaction guarantee, if I don't like them then I'm going to send them back. The HD 598's sound like a great pair of headphones so if I dont like the LP2's then my next order will definitely be the HD 598's.

Jan 10, 2012 at 5:44 AM Post #21 of 23

Quote:
Thanks for the post. I decided to go with the LP2's because of the 60-day satisfaction guarantee, if I don't like them then I'm going to send them back. The HD 598's sound like a great pair of headphones so if I dont like the LP2's then my next order will definitely be the HD 598's.

I feel that I need to point out that I have not actually received my HD 598's yet, so I can't comment on the sound quality, just that they appear to be popular among members of this site, and may be regarded as a small step up from the ATH-M50 and other similarly priced headphones. If price can be counted as an indicator (which it often can not), a $249.99 set of headphones should be much better than $120 headphones (hopefully).

Jan 10, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #22 of 23

Quote:
I feel that I need to point out that I have not actually received my HD 598's yet, so I can't comment on the sound quality, just that they appear to be popular among members of this site, and may be regarded as a small step up from the ATH-M50 and other similarly priced headphones. If price can be counted as an indicator (which it often can not), a $249.99 set of headphones should be much better than $120 headphones (hopefully).

You forgot to adjust for advertising dollars per unit sold (I'm looking at you, Bose and Monster).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back