Buying Heaphone/Amp (and maybe dac) set up: When does an Ipod Classic no longer make sense?
Apr 5, 2011 at 1:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

imackler

Headphoneus Supremus
My situation:
I have an Ipod Classic (90% lossless and 10% 320) and have had several upper level iems (Se535/W4/ER4P/IE8).
I've never owned a line out, amp, dac, or full sized headphones.
I want to buy my first desk top amp and full sized headphones (pretty much decided on the HD600). 

My budget:
Around $500...

My plan:
Option A: Ipod Classic, L3, E9, HD600
OR
Option B: Audinst Hud-MX1 and HD600
(I'm open to other recommendations for line outs/amp/dac,etc.)

My problem:
I'm not financially able to get the best of everything. I probably can't afford $50 line out unless it makes a huge difference. I kind of need to get this right the first time.
I know that there is always better. I'm ok with that.
But I don't want to build a system that I'm not taking advantage of. If I'm going to do this, might as well do it as good as I can.

My questions:
1. Does the HD600 make any sense with Option A above? Or does Option A, listening to an ipod through a Fiio line out (L3) and the E9 amp under-utilize the HD600?
2. Does a dac like Audinst play itunes lossless files or would I need to re-rip everything into another format?
3. With either Option A or B will there be any improvement (or any sense) listening to 320K anymore?
4. Are there other questions I should be asking?

My plea:
Please help...

Apr 5, 2011 at 4:54 PM Post #2 of 7
Hi imack,

When you say you say you can't afford a line-out, what are you referring to?  a Wadia or I20 that bypasses the ipod's dac or an LOD to connect to an amp?  Using the lineout of the ipod is a great choice and you can connect it to any amp of your choice.  Do you still want to use the ipod as your source or go PC with an amp and DAC?

example-

Apr 5, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #3 of 7

Thanks for the response!

I meant that sometimes people recommend very expensive LODs from ipod to amp. And honestly, I don't mind paying more if there is a clear improvement. I just want to make the right call, whether its a fiio l3, something that connects to a RCA, etc.

I'm happy using the my ipod as a source. It's definitely more convenient right now. Some day, I'll probably get a DAC but my ipod is working fine and my work computer wouldn't be ideal to run a dac through (because of the small hard drive).

My concern is that some have recommended that a dac/amp will clearly win over an ipod/LOD/amp. I don't want to spend 500 on an amp/headphone if an amp/dac/headphone would be markedly better.

Follow up advice is greatly appreciated!

Quote:
Hi imack,

When you say you say you can't afford a line-out, what are you referring to?  a Wadia or I20 that bypasses the ipod's dac or an LOD to connect to an amp?  Using the lineout of the ipod is a great choice and you can connect it to any amp of your choice.  Do you still want to use the ipod as your source or go PC with an amp and DAC?

example-

Apr 5, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #4 of 7
Well, it all depends and budget is paramount.  If you get a DAC then you would need another source (PC, laptop etc.).  The last few months I have been using my portable gear a lot with different amps and powered speakers via the line out, all lossless.

Does that $500 include the Senns?

A great option imo, which I own and it's very versatile and can prepare for an upgrade in the future, is the Audio-GD FUN.  It has a line in (RCA) which you can connect your ipod via line out.  It's an all-in-one (dac, headphone amp, pre-amp, line in, rollable op-amps (HDAMs- Sun, Moon, Earth).  This way you can enjoy your music in different ways and be ready for upgrades (PC, CD Player etc.)...

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/FUN/FUNEN.htm

Don't worry too much on LODs and their price.  There are a lot of great options when you go RCA to dock connector.  The one pictured is excellent and I think I paid about $25.00 from RAM Electronics.  They have great cables and prices...

Cheers

Apr 5, 2011 at 5:36 PM Post #5 of 7
Yeah, the $500 budget includes the Senns. I didn't see that the Audio-GD Fun had a line in. That could be a great choice for an in between ipod and dac. I have a hard time seeing myself buy another Ipod device; its great as far as portability but there are better options if your computer has the hard drive space. I'm never without my laptop so that will probably be the next step... I'll definitely consider the Fun.

I'm tempted by the Asgard, too. If I do, that cable from RAM Electronics will be essential since there is no 3.5 line in.

But long story short:  You're pretty sure that I'll be a happy man listening to my ipod as a source and, as long as they are amped? I won't be wasting the HD600/650?

Apr 5, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #6 of 7
Yes sir.  You have some great iems that I'm sure you enjoy with your ipod.  When it comes to full-sized, especially HD580/600/650, an amp is mandatory with those cans.  300 ohm needs some juice.  It just takes a little planning vs. plugging in iems and be done with it.  But when they are driven properly- fogetaboutit...Good times....

If you get an all-in-one, you will be ready if you want to plug in the laptop, desktop etc....You can also get an amp and plug them in via RCA to line-out dock connector....

If you have lossless, properly ripped, then you are on the right track to rock an iPod desktop setup...

Here's the line-in of the FUN:

Apr 5, 2011 at 11:20 PM Post #7 of 7
A simple iPod line out (like the Fiio L3) only costs 5-6 bucks from the auction sites. Maybe you can give one of the ready made Cmoy amps a go as well which are fairly cheap, less than 80 bucks in most cases.

Certainly makes a difference to my music listening out of my HD600s and iPhone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back