Buying first good headphone. Have around $40 to spend. What should I buy?
Jul 29, 2012 at 4:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Elastine

New Head-Fier
So I am thinking of buying a good <$50 headphone for the first time, an upgrade from my cheap ipod earbuds. Which from among these would you recommend? I need it for:

1. All around use. Music (classical and rock) and movies.
2. Durable.
3. Preferably sound isolating.

Looking at Panasonic HTF600 and JVC HARX700 and Superlux HD 681 and Audio-Technica ATH-M30 and possibly skullcandy. Am super confused with reviews because they are so mixed! What do you think best fits my needs?

Jul 29, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #2 of 9
At the $40 price range I would stay away from skullcandy. From your choices, go with either the Panasonic or JVC seeing as the Superlux are semi-open and may leak sound/let sound in.

Jul 29, 2012 at 6:41 PM Post #3 of 9
I wouldn't describe those Panasonics as durable.  There are a lot of different ways they can fail.  Also listening to classical on them would be a misery due to their muddy sound and bass emphasis.  And technically, they are semi-open too.  I found them terrible for movies.

The Koss DJ100 are some to consider, but are just a bit over your limit.  $50.48 shipped from Amazon.

Jul 29, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #5 of 9
I can't really comment on the HARX700s, but I have the HARX900s which I listen to quite often, often in preference of more expensive sets like Grado SR-80s and Audio Technica ATH-AD700s.

They are an absolute steal on Amazon around $56.  It is a little out of your price range, but I think it would be well worth it.

The 700s are very similar, but don't have as nice of ear pads and have a lower impedance (which may be a good thing if you are listening from and Ipod, but I listen to the 900s from a clip+ occasionally and it drives them well).

I listen to classical and rock music both regularly as well and the 900s are the best I have for all around music listening.  The Grado's are slightly better for rock and the Audio Technica's a bit better for classical (usually), but the 900s do it all well and are much cheaper.  I am seriously considering buying a second pair.

Jul 29, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #6 of 9
Superlux makes some closed back headphones, they are very nice for the price you pay for them, and are very budget friendly. Two models within your budget that are closed back are the Superlux HD 651 and HD 661. Both are bassier headphones than it's brothers like the HD 668B or HD681, but are nice, and have a more or less neutral-ish sound. Check them out. The 651s are about 20 dollars, and the 661 are about 50.

Jul 29, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #7 of 9
Check out the Monoprice 8323. It's gaining popularity here on Head-Fi, and for good reasons. They are Very inexpensive (after shipping it's about $30 US) They sound amazing and have just the right amount of bass. They are portable and comfortable. I recommend these as often as I can, just because I want people to experience a set of truly amazing headphones. Definitely check them out.

Jul 30, 2012 at 12:38 AM Post #8 of 9
I have a  pair of Superlux HD661...really like them for the price (USD $48)...they are copy of the Sony 7506...

Jul 30, 2012 at 5:08 AM Post #9 of 9
I go with the Superlux HD681 or Panasonic RP-HTF-600S, for $10 I really think the Takstar 2050 is worth it

Its personal opinion in which one is better

Superlux is very bright, detailed and clear, larger soundstage, revealing. Slightly harsh sound and needs an EQ in the high frequencies. 

Panasonic doesn't have the detail/clarity (though it's not bad). It has a thicker, warmer sound and much more bass. Slightly recessed mids. They're very similar to the JVC HARX700

The Takstar is sort of an inbetween. They have similar detail and clarity of the Superlux but have a warm rich sound like the Panasonic. They also have a larger soundstage and much much better comfort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back