Buying an amp/dac for my recently purchased Sennheiser HD650
Jul 13, 2017 at 7:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Bobbi

New Head-Fier
Like i said in the title i recently joined the massdrop Sennheiser HD6xx party and will be getting mine in december so im just wondering which amp/dac i should get to best suit my HD650?

My current amp dac is the FIIO E17k Alpen 2

I have heard good things about the audioquest dragonfly so would it be possible for it to pair up with my Alpen2 (using the FIIO as the amp only because i heard the dragonfly cant power a 300ohm badboy like the HD650)

I am on a budget so it will be nice if I could keep the FIIO as an amp and get a DAC that can pair up with it. looking for something under 100$

Jul 13, 2017 at 7:40 PM Post #2 of 13
I would personally recommend continuing using the E17k and saving up for a more meaningful upgrade, like a Modi 2 Multibit plus maybe even an upgraded amp as well (Magni 2 would work fine). That would give you a bigger improvement overall with your upgrade. But that is just my take and YMMV, of course.

Jul 13, 2017 at 8:20 PM Post #3 of 13
Like i said in the title i recently joined the Massdrop Sennheiser HD6xx party and will be getting mine in December so im just wondering which amp/dac i should get to best suit my HD650?
I have heard good things about the Audioquest Dragonfly so would it be possible for it to pair up with my Alpen2 (using the FIIO as the amp only because i heard the dragonfly cant power a 300-Ohm badboy like the HD650)
I am on a budget so it will be nice if I could keep the FIIO as an amp and get a DAC that can pair up with it. looking for something under 100$

Suggest you use the FiiO E17K as the DAC and get the Darkvoice 336SE OTL tube headphone amplifier (off Massdrop or eBay or Amazon).
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/dark-voice-366se

Jul 13, 2017 at 11:16 PM Post #4 of 13
Like i said in the title i recently joined the massdrop Sennheiser HD6xx party and will be getting mine in december so im just wondering which amp/dac i should get to best suit my HD650?

I have heard good things about the audioquest dragonfly so would it be possible for it to pair up with my Alpen2 (using the FIIO as the amp only because i heard the dragonfly cant power a 300ohm badboy like the HD650)

The Dragonfly probably outputs just as much power. Why not just save up and get an AudioGD NFB-11? You have five months anyway.

Jul 14, 2017 at 7:58 AM Post #6 of 13
Keep the FiiO as a DAC and put your budget all towards an amp. I'd vote for Magni 2 or the Valhalla 2/Darkvoice

Users who are viewing this thread

Back