Buy SR60i or SR80i?
Jun 30, 2010 at 4:55 AM Post #46 of 109
I'd like to see an SR60i with jumbo pads, $79 headphones with $45 pads lol!

Jun 30, 2010 at 5:25 AM Post #47 of 109

Quote:
I'd like to see an SR60i with jumbo pads, $79 headphones with $45 pads lol!

That is absolutely true, the pads are quite expensive... which is why I didn't spend 35 + 7 shipping on the flats for my brother's 80i's. Cost near half of the headphones! and the Jumbo 45 + 7 shipping = $52!

Jun 30, 2010 at 8:16 AM Post #50 of 109
To me, it seems like from what I have been reading, the 80i's have better qualities. I mean, I don't own either, nor have I but I would always go for the upgraded ones and shell out the extra money, since it can't hurt, especially $20. I too have been also looking into them, and the 80i's are what I think my next purchase may be.

Jun 30, 2010 at 8:22 AM Post #51 of 109

Yeah I'm interested, what is the hype exactly about Grados and being "bright" could someone explain this to me?

"choose for yourself" - do you mean replacing pads and making mods?  I respect this, but for me there is something beautiful about keeping headphones the way they came (stock pads with no mods)...

Well I think the brightness part has been answered in fantastic detail and comprehensiveness above.

I would say changing the pads on Grados is not really a "mod" as such - they are all made to slip on and off. Also how do we say what is the "stock" of a Grado?

Take the SR80/i which is being discussed here. When it was first released it came with flats, then John Grado came up with the bowls and they were sold with that then on the "i" change he gave them the comfies which had previously only featured on the SR60.

So in the lifespan of that model of headphones it's been sold stock with every pad - leaving it up the user which they like best - or to have all three and really have 3 sets of phones in one (actually - 4 as you can put bowls on backwards for a whole new sound sig).

Jun 30, 2010 at 8:30 AM Post #52 of 109

Quote:
That is absolutely true, the pads are quite expensive... which is why I didn't spend 35 + 7 shipping on the flats for my brother's 80i's. Cost near half of the headphones! and the Jumbo 45 + 7 shipping = $52!

The Senn 414 pads are much cheaper off of eBay for flats if you don't mind yellow, they fit fine
bigsmile_face.gif

Jun 30, 2010 at 8:30 AM Post #53 of 109
I have no interest in changing the sound of my SR60i's by switching out the pads.....it sounds just right to me as is.
L3000.gif

Jun 30, 2010 at 10:02 AM Post #54 of 109

Quote:

Well I think the brightness part has been answered in fantastic detail and comprehensiveness above.

I would say changing the pads on Grados is not really a "mod" as such - they are all made to slip on and off. Also how do we say what is the "stock" of a Grado?

Take the SR80/i which is being discussed here. When it was first released it came with flats, then John Grado came up with the bowls and they were sold with that then on the "i" change he gave them the comfies which had previously only featured on the SR60.

So in the lifespan of that model of headphones it's been sold stock with every pad - leaving it up the user which they like best - or to have all three and really have 3 sets of phones in one (actually - 4 as you can put bowls on backwards for a whole new sound sig).

With that background, I can't say there is a stock version.  From what you are saying, Grado has really released four times the products it offers just by switching out the pads.  Very cool.  I'm not against people doing this by any means, that's really cool, but I personally like all my headphones just the way they come (talking image here)...  I guess I just like the look out of the box.  But whatever floats your boat!

Jun 30, 2010 at 11:18 AM Post #55 of 109
Here's my own experience with the 60s and 80s (Models SR60i and SR80i, to be clear). I purchased both and was able to audition them through HeadRoom for 30 days, with lots of periods of burn-in. In my opinion, I didn't hear much difference, specifically in bass, between the 60s and the 80s to justify the $20 extra for the 80i. I've owned my 60s for a year and listen to them almost every day and have never regretted keeping the 60s over the 80s.
o2smile.gif

Jun 30, 2010 at 12:01 PM Post #57 of 109

Quote:
I have no interest in changing the sound of my SR60i's by switching out the pads.....it sounds just right to me as is.
L3000.gif

I'm with you as far as grados sounding right as is, but the comfort is so much better with the 414 pads that I can actually bear to listen for extended times. I'm not sure I'd convince myself to try $45 pads (especially for the OP whose budget is sr60's or sr80's), but the sennheiser 414s are so cheap it's worth a try. I don't have SR60i's specifically, but from what I've hear here, all grado are influenced in a similar way by the change in pads.

As to the original question, It's too bad there's not more places around to test the Grado's that would be the obvious solution if you could.

Jun 30, 2010 at 12:32 PM Post #58 of 109

Quote:

I'm with you as far as grados sounding right as is, but the comfort is so much better with the 414 pads that I can actually bear to listen for extended times. I'm not sure I'd convince myself to try $45 pads (especially for the OP whose budget is sr60's or sr80's), but the sennheiser 414s are so cheap it's worth a try. I don't have SR60i's specifically, but from what I've hear here, all grado are influenced in a similar way by the change in pads.

As to the original question, It's too bad there's not more places around to test the Grado's that would be the obvious solution if you could.

I find the comfy pads that came on my 60i's just fine for long listening sessions....I do wish the headband had a little cushioning though. For those of us that keep our hair between 1/8" and 1/4" in length, it would be nice. Are the 414 pads just a softer material?

Jun 30, 2010 at 12:38 PM Post #59 of 109
Just go for sr60i since sr60i is good already (but if you already bought one, sorry didnt bother to backread) but if you have money why just stop on sr80 just go up the ladder a lil more like buying a ms2i or 325is

Jun 30, 2010 at 12:47 PM Post #60 of 109

Quote:

I find the comfy pads that came on my 60i's just fine for long listening sessions....I do wish the headband had a little cushioning though. For those of us that keep our hair between 1/8" and 1/4" in length, it would be nice. Are the 414 pads just a softer material?

The 414 pads are a very popular mod.  They're bumblebee yellow, softer and seem to do a pretty decent job of harvesting bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back