Buy SR60i or SR80i?
Jun 15, 2010 at 12:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 109

shawnr

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, this may be my first post here, but I'm definitely not new here. I've been reading this forum for more than year. And now I think about buying one of these cans and I still don't know which one buy. I mean what's the difference between these two? I've read that SR80i has better bass response but does it really worth that extra 20 dollars? Wouldn't that extra bass make mids and trebbles worse? Has anyone here listened both and is able to tell or give me an advise which one to buy? I'm totally hopeless, one moment I think I'll go with 60 and another moment I think I'll go with 80... I know about MS1, but no matter why, I don't want them so please don' t tell me to buy MS1 or any other cans. Question is just which one of these two, SR60i or SR80i? Thank you very much for each of your answers, I really appreaciate that. P.S. I am an owner of HD595 and I'm looking for cans that I would have at my student dorm [HD595 are at home] so could you compare both grados to HD595?

Jun 15, 2010 at 12:48 PM Post #2 of 109
I haven't heard either can so my opinion is worth less than the paper it's printed on.  I do know the SR60 and the SR80 were once differentiated by different pads.  The SR60 had comfies while the SR80 had bowls.  In the "i" series, both use comfies.  I, too, would be interested in any info on how the two "i" upgrades sound when compared to each other.

Jun 16, 2010 at 12:34 AM Post #4 of 109
I know you say you don't want to hear about the MS-1, but can I ask why?

Jun 16, 2010 at 1:04 AM Post #5 of 109
Perhaps because every time he asks about sr60/80 people go on about MS1 until he rages and tell him nothing about those Grados.
Or something else.

The extra bass on SR80 won't be enough to interfere with the mids and highs. Far from it or else that would make them a heck of a lot bassier than my SR325, which would be the extreme opposite of what I've read.
I went straight for the 325, never tried the other Prestige models. I liked what I read about these best, though I did read as many discouraging comments too. I decided I'd buy with a 30-day return so I can take my time with them.
I've loved them ever since fresh out of the box.

Jun 16, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #6 of 109
I was in this situation myself a few weeks ago.
At first it was the SR60i vs SR80i vs Alessandro MS-1i.
I went for the MS-1i and have no regrets. 
Came in the mail a few days ago and I am now having eargasms everyday.

But if you still don't want the Alesssandro's, then of the two Grado's, I would go for the SR80i.

Jun 16, 2010 at 1:24 AM Post #7 of 109
I think your looking at it the wrong way. It's not whether it's worth the extra $20. Rather it's: Only an extra $20?! That's a steal!

Often times when I read a lot of the threads here people recommend a completely different can than the OP had originally asked about for small reasons like a deeper bass response or something of the sort.

Often times these little details in cans can equal a substantial difference in price. So I'd say $20 isn't too bad.

Then again, I don't want to assume your financial status, maybe $20 is a big difference to you.

All I ask is your consideration.

Jun 16, 2010 at 3:55 AM Post #8 of 109
Yup, I'd go for the SR80s or the MS-1s. Now since you don't want to talk about the MS-1s, go for the SR80s.

Jun 16, 2010 at 4:57 AM Post #9 of 109
SR60i-Best Bang for Your Buck!
biggrin.gif

Jun 16, 2010 at 10:34 AM Post #10 of 109

+1.. The SR60i's are fantastic.. but beware, if you like the Grado sound, you'll quickly become addicted.. LOL

I loved my SR60i's so much, I had to try the 325i's.. I'm waiting for them to arrive... Don't let that scare you, if I weren't in a position to trade for them, I would have been completely satisfied with my 60i's

Quote:
SR60i-Best Bang for Your Buck!
biggrin.gif

Jun 16, 2010 at 12:53 PM Post #11 of 109

Quote:
+1.. The SR60i's are fantastic.. but beware, if you like the Grado sound, you'll quickly become addicted.. LOL

I loved my SR60i's so much, I had to try the 325i's.. I'm waiting for them to arrive... Don't let that scare you, if I weren't in a position to trade for them, I would have been completely satisfied with my 60i's

1263534456682.jpg

Jun 16, 2010 at 12:58 PM Post #12 of 109

Quote:
I think your looking at it the wrong way. It's not whether it's worth the extra $20. Rather it's: Only an extra $20?! That's a steal!

x2. I found the SR80s more open, detailed and with a bigger bass.

Jun 16, 2010 at 1:29 PM Post #14 of 109
I say go for the 60i and use the difference to pay for a pair of bowl pads (L-cushion) so you can see which pads you like better. This will make enormously more difference to the sound than any barely perceptible difference between the models.

Jun 16, 2010 at 2:09 PM Post #15 of 109
So, what is the difference in pads?  I have never heard the 60.  Just the 60i.  I like the comfies though.  They are something I can wear for a long time and need be uncomfortable at all.

Quote:
I say go for the 60i and use the difference to pay for a pair of bowl pads (L-cushion) so you can see which pads you like better. This will make enormously more difference to the sound than any barely perceptible difference between the models.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back