Burson V6 Vivid and V6 Classic Discrete Audio Opamps Discussion and Reviews
Sep 7, 2023 at 2:04 AM Post #511 of 537
Is this the output cap, or between amp stages?
both caps sit in parallel on the power rails of the V6 Vivid im using, right before the switchable op amp of my Aune X8
i think the terms are power coupling and bypass cap

do you think i should try even more than 100uF here?

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2023 at 2:37 AM Post #512 of 537
@Ghoostknight a schema would be very helpful.
If they are only for V6 Vivid then these values are sufficient.

Sep 7, 2023 at 9:22 AM Post #513 of 537
Sep 8, 2023 at 3:07 AM Post #514 of 537
Hi there I have got a Korg HA-S, it originally comees with muses 01 and NJM4580
I am looking into burson audio and try to see if it can improves this portable amplifier's sound.
A few questions:
1. what does it mean single/ dual in v6 op amp? And which one should I use to replace my current muses01?
2. If I wanted more "Tube warm sound" , should I pick v6 vivid or classic?
3. Does the Burson extender affects the sound of the v6 negatively?

Thanks for your kind help.

Sep 10, 2023 at 12:08 PM Post #515 of 537
Hi there I have got a Korg HA-S, it originally comees with muses 01 and NJM4580
I am looking into burson audio and try to see if it can improves this portable amplifier's sound.
A few questions:
1. what does it mean single/ dual in v6 op amp? And which one should I use to replace my current muses01?
2. If I wanted more "Tube warm sound" , should I pick v6 vivid or classic?
3. Does the Burson extender affects the sound of the v6 negatively?

Thanks for your kind help.
1. dual means two op-amps in one unit (for whatever purpose the circuit requires - multiple passes of amplification or signal processing); muses01 is dual
2. that'd be classic (not necessarily tubey but warmer of the two)
3. nope

Oct 10, 2023 at 10:54 AM Post #516 of 537
I'm looking for inexpensive headphone amplifier, to use my 2pcs V6 Vivid dual opamps. Anyone has any advice (except Burson Funk which I have already found)? which headphone amplifier to purchase in that case? 🤔🥹🙏

Oct 10, 2023 at 3:25 PM Post #517 of 537
@JamieMcC - Thanks for sharing the above.

I'm looking for inexpensive headphone amplifier, to use my 2pcs V6 Vivid dual opamps. Anyone has any advice (except Burson Funk which I have already found)? which headphone amplifier to purchase in that case? 🤔🥹🙏

Have a look at the Pass Whammy you can use a single duel V6 in it. But be mindful that to use the Burson V6 the adjacent capacitors need to have been installed to allow for this.

The Whammy is super value for the performance it offers.

Dec 6, 2023 at 1:41 PM Post #519 of 537
My favorite impressions on the Burson V6 Vivid in a Topping D10:

Burson kindly sent a V6 Vivid to give my honest impressions. With that out of the way I can proceed to give you my thoughts on it. The Topping D10, actually already have a socket installed for chip rolling. The original ic was good, and it won me over as a decent dac which really was purchased to convert usb to coax or optical. One upgrade I did to the D10 was a usb cable that split the data and power so the power to the D10 was a separate usb that I plugged into an Audioquest Jitterbug and that into a filtered AC setup. This lowered the noise floor a bit.
With the V6 vivid installed, it remained about the same noise floor maybe a bit lower.
Now for the sound, I did not notice any elevated or more pronounced emphasis anywhere. I tried the D10 on solid state, tubes and a mix up of all tube, all ss and mix and match. I mostly listen to electrostatic head phones so while I do love bass and dynamics, these are the weakest points of them. With the V6 you installed, I noticed the high frequencies had a more detailed attack and longer decay when appropriate. One album I used to test the V6 with is Tubular Bells by Mike Oldfield, many various versions. So the V6 Vivid let the bells and other high frequency instruments shine and shimmer with a detailed air to them. I also use 10,000 Maniacs “In My Tribe”, because this is a bright release, a bit dry and seems anemic all over, but great music. With the Vivid V6 installed, it made little details come out a bit. It also separated everything in an appropriate manner, ie Natalie Merchant in the center and front with the drums behind her, bass is behind and a little to the side and you could hear both the bass and bass drum could be identifiable.
The true bass test for me is John McVie and Mic Fleetwood on the self titled album with Stevie and Lindsay on it. The lead off track Monday Morning has a driving bass that has lots of detail with each string pluck. The Burson chip did not slow the pace or blur any detail. The bass did not overpower the midrange. I did not detect any coloration in the sound on any of my listening.
Now mind you that none of this is dramatically different, mostly subtle improvements. The most notable difference was the dynamics which had an increased maybe 2 dB’s over the stock chip. I should also mention the cables in and out have an influence on sound.
The only drawback is that this chip does not fit in the Topping D10 case which I knew about before receiving the Burson.

Dec 6, 2023 at 8:28 PM Post #520 of 537
Addendum to my review of the Burson V6 vivid in the Topping D10:

The list of equipment used to evaluate includes the following electrostatic headphones
Koss ESP950 with a Stax adapter
Nectar Pollinator
Stax L300, SR-404, SR-002, Sigma Pro and SR-X mk3
Preamps used were an ARC LS7(tube) and an Adcom GFP565(SS)
Amps Cary Rocket 88(all tube), Adcom 8008(SS) and a stand alone Stax SRM 212(SS) with an upgraded power supply.
Various cables were used.
All files were played through Foobar2000 and discs were played on a Sony SCD775.

Music was all digital from cd quality up to SACD (DSD files and disks). And the ones I used:
Pink Floyd DSotM
Linda Ronstadt Heart like a Wheel
Fleetwood Mac Fleetwood Mac
Steely Dan a large variety
Manfred Manns Earth Band Angel Station
10,000 Maniacs In My Tribe
Mike Okdfield Tubular Bells (original, TBII and, TB 2003)
Alan Parsons Project I Robot, Turn of a Friendly Card and Eye in the Sky
Dvorak Symphony No 6 Sir Colin Davis London Symphony Orchastra
Keb’Mo Keb’Mo
Richard Edgar Academy of Ancient Music JS Bach Brandenburg Concertos
Oscar Peterson Exclusively for My Friends
Warren Zevon Excitable Boy
Jeff Wayne’s War of the Worlds

In all cases, I compared more than one headphone for each evaluation music selection to ensure no one set dominated my impressions.

I plan on doing more listening and will add updates to my impressions.

Pictures to follow! Thanks

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2023 at 3:46 AM Post #521 of 537
The old Topping D10, or the newer one D10s ?
I had the old one and I did the same, but the sound has dramatically changed in good. Better details and better dynamics.
The new one has way better DAC and IC's in IV section so you can't get same improvement.

Dec 7, 2023 at 3:14 PM Post #522 of 537
The old Topping D10, or the newer one D10s ?
I had the old one and I did the same, but the sound has dramatically changed in good. Better details and better dynamics.
The new one has way better DAC and IC's in IV section so you can't get same improvement.
It is the old original D10. Like I said, the dynamics are the the most obvious, but the increase trailing edges and initial attacks are a sign of more detail.

Jan 7, 2024 at 5:45 PM Post #523 of 537
It has been over a month now and the sound improvements are making it even better. I use electrostatic headphones and deep impactful bass is not there strong point, but the V6 did improve both. For fun I tried NBS solid silver interconnects and again the the V6 showed even more detail than the Toping D10 stock unit. I think the Buson V6 vivid is awsome.

Jan 18, 2024 at 3:43 PM Post #524 of 537
Yesterday I installed two V6 Vivid's in my Leaf Audio CMD27 DAC, for use with the balanced XLR outputs. I had to fiddle somewhat as initially they did not fit without DIP8 adapters, and with these adapters they were just slightly too high. However I found that they do fit without the adapters when the red cases are removed, and after mounting them this way I put the cases back and all is well.

I am impressed by the improvement over the stock opamps. These were also discrete and not bad at all. But this is in a different league. Everything sounds bigger, more open and less strident.

Now convinced of the importance of opamps for a DAC, I ordered two Dual Staccato OSH-DHb (Open Sound Hybrid) opamps just out of curiosity, for comparison.

Actually, this Leaf Audio CMD27 (AliExpress) is a killer DAC for the price. I now prefer it to some much more expensive DACs I previously owned such as Terminator 2 and Holo Audio Spring 3 L2.

Here is a pic:
1705610504064.png

I applied some fo.Q damping material to most capacitors and the Burson cases.
One stock amp can still be seen in the unbalanced (RCA) section.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2024 at 3:49 PM Post #525 of 537
Really impressive sound from Tempotec V3 3.5mm -> Douk U3 + Burson V6 Vivid -> HD650

Full, powerful, sweet sound with wide stage and sweet vocals. I'm really impressed how good V3 sound for its price, especially when using with external amplifiers... 👌 Burson V6 adds even more refinement and musicality to the sound 👌 I wish I had two more V6 opamps to test my Douk U5 with four pieces of these great opamps 👌🤔

Attachments

• 20240217_183951.jpg
    20240217_183951.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240217_180950.jpg
    20240217_180950.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240217_180905.jpg
    20240217_180905.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240217_180407.jpg
    20240217_180407.jpg