Burson V6 Vivid and V6 Classic Discrete Audio Opamps Discussion and Reviews
May 27, 2019 at 12:55 PM Post #331 of 536
May 27, 2019 at 1:33 PM Post #332 of 536
May 27, 2019 at 3:47 PM Post #333 of 536
Do not rock them - straight down is best method. rocking them will bend pins.

here are my tips.
1.) Take photos first so you know the orientation of the chips that came out.
2.) Locate pin 1 and make sure you have them identified on the socket and the chip before you take it out. Do the same on your new ones so you know the proper orientation during install.
3.) To remove IC Op-amps, get a very small screwdriver and pick up one end by about 1mm, then do the same on the opposite end. Repeat this in 1mm increments until you can pull the chip straight up to remove it.
4.) if you want to put the case back on, remove the socket protectors before install.
5.) sound test it before you put the case back on. A loose contact can keep them from working correctly.

May 27, 2019 at 7:01 PM Post #334 of 536
Do not rock them - straight down is best method. rocking them will bend pins.

here are my tips.
1.) Take photos first so you know the orientation of the chips that came out.
2.) Locate pin 1 and make sure you have them identified on the socket and the chip before you take it out. Do the same on your new ones so you know the proper orientation during install.
3.) To remove IC Op-amps, get a very small screwdriver and pick up one end by about 1mm, then do the same on the opposite end. Repeat this in 1mm increments until you can pull the chip straight up to remove it.
4.) if you want to put the case back on, remove the socket protectors before install.
5.) sound test it before you put the case back on. A loose contact can keep them from working correctly.

Thanks for the info. I will leave the box open for a day or maybe even the whole weekend. I want to pick a "winner" and then put the other ones into a drawer. Then in six to twelve months I will swap again and have a whole new amp every year.:L3000:

Shane D

May 28, 2019 at 7:35 AM Post #335 of 536
First; be sure to unscharge you for ESD, by touching an earthed point, for example an unpainted point of a radiator. And of course it´s easiest by removing the cover at the enclosure, if possible.

When uninstalling the old OpAmp, for example; NE5534 or OPA2134, use a small standard - screwdriver to pull it upwards, a little bit from each side at a time. Or, you can use your nail, if having long enough nail´s.

When installing the new Burson discrete OpAmp; first notice Pin 1 or the marking in the DIP-socket at the PCB, and this must be faced the same direction as the trail in the plastic cover. Then remove the mounted DIP-socket the discrete, and hold the red or orange plastic cover with two finger´s, and gently push it downwards into the DIP-socket (assure all 8 pin´s are correctly positioning respective hole´s!).

Also, the best connection will be achieved, if unsolder the already mounted DIP-switch, and then solder the OpAmp directly to the PCB, but be aware that one must know what they´re doing!).

Good luck!

May 31, 2019 at 6:11 PM Post #336 of 536
I got two orders today: 1) Two Vivid singles and 2) Schiit Loki.
:ok_hand::ok_hand::thumbsup::thumbsup:

20190531_183938.jpg

Going to be a fun weekend!

Shane D

May 31, 2019 at 8:45 PM Post #337 of 536
I got two orders today: 1) Two Vivid singles and 2) Schiit Loki.
:ok_hand::ok_hand::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Going to be a fun weekend!

Shane D
Nice, they are going to make a BIG difference in your listening experience

May 31, 2019 at 9:10 PM Post #338 of 536
Nice, they are going to make a BIG difference in your listening experience

I just spent the last hour hour building my test list (18 songs) and transferring it to my DAP. So hard to pick! Once I open the box, I will leave it open all weekend and go back and forth. Of course I will cover it when not in use. And before I do the initial open, I will check back through the thread for tips.:L3000:

Shane D

May 31, 2019 at 9:24 PM Post #339 of 536
My playlist for testing:
20190531_222008.jpg

Shane D

Jun 1, 2019 at 7:51 AM Post #341 of 536
Shane, you could also get the Stereophile discs and the Chesky as well; these are meant for such test.

I have thought about that over the years, but I just think that I am better off with music that I know very well.

Shane D

Jun 2, 2019 at 2:16 PM Post #342 of 536
Okay, I have started the listening. But...I damaged an opamp. I knew, knew, knew to grab the opamp from the bottom. Very first grab and I grab it from the top: Yes, the plastic came apart. I wasn't all that worried as I thought I could probably glue it back together. Now it just will not work. I can press fit it back together, but it won't work. I even just tried it without the plastic case. No sound at all.:confounded:

That is too bad as I was not overly impressed with the Vivid's sound. I wanted to change back and see if it was my imagination or not. I thought maybe it was a case of recency bias, but I couldn't compare...:tired_face:

I sent an email to Burson asking if it might be covered by warranty. If not, I asked if I can just buy one or if I need a "matched set". Hopefully, I will hear back tomorrow.

I watched a YouTube review last week and a guy was reviewing the two of them. He is a video editor and he stated that he thought the Vivid was much more accurate and that he would use it for editing. However, he thought the Classic sounded much more "musical" and that he preferred it for listening to music. In my quick test, I would agree. Of course that is not really giving the Vivids a long term test (Which they will get now) and I cannot play the Classic's to compare. Oh well, first world problems.

Shane D

Jun 2, 2019 at 9:38 PM Post #343 of 536
Okay, I have started the listening. But...I damaged an opamp. I knew, knew, knew to grab the opamp from the bottom. Very first grab and I grab it from the top: Yes, the plastic came apart. I wasn't all that worried as I thought I could probably glue it back together. Now it just will not work. I can press fit it back together, but it won't work. I even just tried it without the plastic case. No sound at all.:confounded:

That is too bad as I was not overly impressed with the Vivid's sound. I wanted to change back and see if it was my imagination or not. I thought maybe it was a case of recency bias, but I couldn't compare...:tired_face:

I sent an email to Burson asking if it might be covered by warranty. If not, I asked if I can just buy one or if I need a "matched set". Hopefully, I will hear back tomorrow.

I watched a YouTube review last week and a guy was reviewing the two of them. He is a video editor and he stated that he thought the Vivid was much more accurate and that he would use it for editing. However, he thought the Classic sounded much more "musical" and that he preferred it for listening to music. In my quick test, I would agree. Of course that is not really giving the Vivids a long term test (Which they will get now) and I cannot play the Classic's to compare. Oh well, first world problems.

Shane D
The V6 Classics are warm, inviting and musical. I put the V6 Vivids back in my Fun after a month of listening to SparkoS op-amps and the V6 Vivids are right in the middle from a sound standpoint. There are not as detailed as the SparkoS but detailed enough were I feel I’m not missing any information. They has enough of the V6 Classics musically that I’m enjoying them a lot more the second time around. I have a dual V6 Classic in my Burson Bang and now this is my preferred listening setup.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2019 at 10:50 PM Post #344 of 536
I got my Classic opamp working again! After wasting 20 minutes of Alex from Burson's time.

Awesome!!!

Let the comparison continue.

Shane D

Jun 3, 2019 at 12:15 AM Post #345 of 536

[...]

You probably put it backwards, regarding the PIN1; have a look to some details here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bur...ssion-and-reviews.854912/page-7#post-13711554. I created this post for those that want to know what's inside and also to better identify PIN1 in case the outer shell dismantles.

However, the new 2019 stock is glued perfectly and will not cause the outer shell to open up anymore (well, I actually like it more "naked"...:) )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back