Burson Soloist 3X Performance Head/Pre Amp - 8Wpc XLR with MUSE72320 volume control
Feb 20, 2023 at 12:47 PM Post #2,881 of 3,139
Hi all,

I could use a some help here.

I've got both a Soloist 3XP and a Schiit Magni (original Magni from like 10 years ago) that I have being fed by the same DAC (A Schiit Bifrost 2/non 64) and are playing to a pair of HFM Arya stealth magnet edition headphones. The Soloist is being fed the signal via XLR's while the Magni is being fed via RCA's. I originally purchased the Burson as I thought it would potentially offer a sound improvement over the Schiit, it had a remote (which is uber handy as where I listen is not where the amp is located) and it offered both SE out as well as balanced out.

Unfortunately, what I appear to be finding is the Soloist doesn't seem to sound as good to me as the Schiit. The Soloist is in stock configuration using 4 V6 vivid opamps. To my ears the Schiit combo just seems to offer more oomph in the low end and more texture to the mids on the Arya SM vs the Soloist as well as the tone being a bit more natural. I know people recommend putting the Sparkos opamps in the volume stage of the amp to potentially pull down the treble a bit vs. stock, but I suppose what I'm wondering is whether or not anyone has any experience in coming from Schiit gear to the Burson with the Sparko opamp and whether the sound was comparable in overall tone? Or is there just better synergy between the Schiit DAC/amp and maybe spending money on another opamp wouldn't necessarily change the sound enough to where I'd just be better off selling the Soloist and picking up a Jot 2 instead. Kinda don't want to throw money at the amp thinking it will get closer to the sound I apparently like vs maybe just saying the Soloist purchase wasn't for me.

Based on your preference and how you describe both amps, if budget allowed, I strongly reccomend Cayin HA-3A for Hifiman Arya SE.

Feb 20, 2023 at 12:59 PM Post #2,882 of 3,139
I've got both a Soloist 3XP and a Schiit Magni (original Magni from like 10 years ago) that I have being fed by the same DAC (A Schiit Bifrost 2/non 64) and are playing to a pair of HFM Arya stealth magnet edition headphones.
I cannot comment directly to your question about op amps changes, however I have a Bifrost 2/64, a Magni+, a Lyr+, and a Burson 3XP w/ the original Grado Statement 1000e cans and can attest to the comments you've made about the Magni, assuming they're somewhat similar. The Magni is a tough little amp with good dynamics and tight bass. Solid offering for the money.

The frequency response of the Burson is extensively different than the Magni+, and for me the Magni+ gets sibilant w/ the Grado cans. No amount of EQ can stay away from this. The sound stage is large but not deep, and that's where Burson really stands out. The Bifrost has excellent depth, and the Burson + my cans render it well beyond the price.

That said, the Bifrost 2/64 -> Burson 3XP wasn't a good combination - at all. I agree - the general sonic profile of the Magni is actually preferable. BUT: For a hairbrained reason I chose to drop the Lyr+ in-between and run it as a preamp, knowing how insanely not-functional that consideration may be. Someone noted they were doing it, and somehow the results were absolute magic. I'm a EE and at one point in life had a chance to go into this industry building high end audio gear (for Jeff Rowland once upon a time), and I cannot begin to understand or draw a simple and distinct conclusion as to why this would ever work. But it does, and I can tube roll and the Burson + my cans will show me every little detail of those differences. The Magni surely cannot - not close.

All that said, if staging isn't critical for you, and you like the sound of the Magni, you're not...missing it. That's a good combination, at least in my opinion. It sounds wonderful, truly does especially for the insanely low price (of the Magni anyway). If you don't do a lot of acoustic stuff - symphonic or jazz/ vocals, and staging isn't your primary concern, the Magni does have a nice punch. The Burson has a lot more power and can kick well beyond the Magni, and never sounds, "loud" as the Magni will in fact get muddy but that may not be an issue with your cans. For low end, these Grados need insane power (and some extra help w/ the lowest side of things - but they'll go there if you tell them to, but you gotta help them because by default they are pretty attenuated below about 200 Hz).

I don't know if that helps any at all - but I can attest to the fact that the Bifrost 2/64 and Burson 3XP combo is or seems to be, in my book, one of those seemingly incompatible realities. But with the Lyr+ in-between? Yea, I know - cost and logic aside - the results are pure magic. In fact, the opposite of the Bifrost 2/64 + Burson. But I also believe that is partly because of the cans I have, which are rather hard to align (McIntosh being the other direction that works, with many other things simply not for me).

Feb 20, 2023 at 3:17 PM Post #2,883 of 3,139
I have a burson conductor 3x ref, the sparkos opamps are nice in it. But then I enjoy the burson vivid and classics in it too. My Sparkos Aries with a Chord qutest is next level, but more expensive. The burson products are insanely good value for money. Driving LCD4, LCDxc.

Feb 22, 2023 at 4:20 PM Post #2,884 of 3,139
I cannot comment directly to your question about op amps changes, however I have a Bifrost 2/64, a Magni+, a Lyr+, and a Burson 3XP w/ the original Grado Statement 1000e cans and can attest to the comments you've made about the Magni, assuming they're somewhat similar. The Magni is a tough little amp with good dynamics and tight bass. Solid offering for the money.

The frequency response of the Burson is extensively different than the Magni+, and for me the Magni+ gets sibilant w/ the Grado cans. No amount of EQ can stay away from this. The sound stage is large but not deep, and that's where Burson really stands out. The Bifrost has excellent depth, and the Burson + my cans render it well beyond the price.

That said, the Bifrost 2/64 -> Burson 3XP wasn't a good combination - at all. I agree - the general sonic profile of the Magni is actually preferable. BUT: For a hairbrained reason I chose to drop the Lyr+ in-between and run it as a preamp, knowing how insanely not-functional that consideration may be. Someone noted they were doing it, and somehow the results were absolute magic. I'm a EE and at one point in life had a chance to go into this industry building high end audio gear (for Jeff Rowland once upon a time), and I cannot begin to understand or draw a simple and distinct conclusion as to why this would ever work. But it does, and I can tube roll and the Burson + my cans will show me every little detail of those differences. The Magni surely cannot - not close.

All that said, if staging isn't critical for you, and you like the sound of the Magni, you're not...missing it. That's a good combination, at least in my opinion. It sounds wonderful, truly does especially for the insanely low price (of the Magni anyway). If you don't do a lot of acoustic stuff - symphonic or jazz/ vocals, and staging isn't your primary concern, the Magni does have a nice punch. The Burson has a lot more power and can kick well beyond the Magni, and never sounds, "loud" as the Magni will in fact get muddy but that may not be an issue with your cans. For low end, these Grados need insane power (and some extra help w/ the lowest side of things - but they'll go there if you tell them to, but you gotta help them because by default they are pretty attenuated below about 200 Hz).

I don't know if that helps any at all - but I can attest to the fact that the Bifrost 2/64 and Burson 3XP combo is or seems to be, in my book, one of those seemingly incompatible realities. But with the Lyr+ in-between? Yea, I know - cost and logic aside - the results are pure magic. In fact, the opposite of the Bifrost 2/64 + Burson. But I also believe that is partly because of the cans I have, which are rather hard to align (McIntosh being the other direction that works, with many other things simply not for me).
I have the Bifrost 2/64 running balanced into the Soloist 3XP. I think it sounds good with most of my headphones. But yea, the Grado GS1000e is just a horrible match with that combo.

Feb 22, 2023 at 4:31 PM Post #2,885 of 3,139
I have the Bifrost 2/64 running balanced into the Soloist 3XP. I think it sounds good with most of my headphones. But yea, the Grado GS1000e is just a horrible match with that combo.
Someone reading this forum later is going to see that and think, "yea, maybe not great but probably not horrible". No it's pretty bad.

I had just received my Burson (as a stand-in/ replacement for a broken Lyr+, I'm one of the lucky ones on that front) and was switching to TIDAL. Stupid me, I hit the hardware direct option or whatever they call it. Unlike Spotify, it goes full volume with no warning and I blew my head off. I was quick to disconnect but I was certain I'd ruined my cans.

And when I finally got all set back up and rendered the chain, I was convinced. That kind of horrible. Only shortly thereafter did I discover that it wasn't the cans, it's that combo. Just not a fit. Putting the Lyr+ in-between though? Somehow that's absolute magic. Expensive combo, but...finding something at that price that plays isn't automatic and would take some effort and for now I'm happy with it. And there are a few things I like the Lyr+ direct for, with certain tubes...(not many though, the Burson is my choice).

Mar 3, 2023 at 4:44 PM Post #2,886 of 3,139
Even in non-bit perfect mode where I'm using window mixer to control the volume, the power amp mode still give off a nice airy and 3-dimentional sound. I thought it wouldn't work with neutral bright headphone like Arya V2 but I think it works well and also helps with the timbre and tonality. Anybody use passive preamp to use the 3XP in power amp mode?

Mar 14, 2023 at 10:56 PM Post #2,887 of 3,139
Even in non-bit perfect mode where I'm using window mixer to control the volume, the power amp mode still give off a nice airy and 3-dimentional sound. I thought it wouldn't work with neutral bright headphone like Arya V2 but I think it works well and also helps with the timbre and tonality. Anybody use passive preamp to use the 3XP in power amp mode?
I have the same question.. Recently acquired an LCD4 and after much testing between the different gains and modes, I still prefer it in power amp mode on medium gain. Unfortunately no volume control on my Bifrost2 which leads me into looking at passive preamps. There's a Nobsound balanced preamp that has mixed reviews for quite cheap, and a Goldpoint SA1X which looks like it'll do the job well but is a bit more than I'm looking to splurge. Not sure what other options would work well outside of upgrading my DAC which I'd much rather leave alone. Overall, still extremely pleased with the Soloist as it drives my LCD4's comfortably.

Mar 18, 2023 at 4:55 PM Post #2,888 of 3,139
Running into a bit of a problem with my Soloist. Seem to have an occasional static noise in my left channel. Thought it might be a faulty op amp so swapped the volume control op amps (figuring I'd perhaps now start to notice occasional static in the right channel, but nope left channel noise persists. Left the cover off and in touching the left channel op amp slightly I noticed that the noise would either increase or go away. Anyone think I perhaps have a socket that might be failing?

Mar 20, 2023 at 1:24 AM Post #2,889 of 3,139
I have the same question.. Recently acquired an LCD4 and after much testing between the different gains and modes, I still prefer it in power amp mode on medium gain. Unfortunately no volume control on my Bifrost2 which leads me into looking at passive preamps. There's a Nobsound balanced preamp that has mixed reviews for quite cheap, and a Goldpoint SA1X which looks like it'll do the job well but is a bit more than I'm looking to splurge. Not sure what other options would work well outside of upgrading my DAC which I'd much rather leave alone. Overall, still extremely pleased with the Soloist as it drives my LCD4's comfortably.
If you're talking about the Nobsound NS-05P make sure you get one with 10k Alps pot and not the one with the 50k Alps pot. I read an old AudioCircle forum post where you lose dynamic range with the unit that uses the 50k Alps pot. With the 10k Alps pot the forum posts said it can get you to 95% of a Goldpoint SA1X. These posts were from about 5 years ago, but if you do a Google search you may find them.

Mar 21, 2023 at 11:54 AM Post #2,890 of 3,139
I've had so many headphone amps now in the $2k or less range (singxer, schiit, topping, smsl, violectric, lake people, audio master, flux labs, etc). This is the first amp that doesn't clip or shutdown when driving my HE6SEv2 (one of my test songs makes this happen consistently with other amps) and it sounds amazing.

Mar 21, 2023 at 1:57 PM Post #2,891 of 3,139
I have been using the nobsound for almost a year with no problems as a volume control. I have it between a denafrips ares 2 and soloist. I tried powered preamps but prefer the passive nobsound. I also prefer it with the soloist in power amp mode and the nobsound to the soloist in normal mode directly fed by the denafrips. I have used several different DACs and to my ears the nobsound doesnt seem to change the sound whether in or out of the signal chain. I have also tried using a mojo2 as a dac directly into the soloist and used the mojo for volume control, but really just prefer the denafrips/nobsound/soloist. All that being said I just got a hifiman ef400 and with a V2 Arya its hard to tell much difference between it and my denafrips/soloist. That opinion may change as I spend more time listening and have my wife blindly switch between them so I cant tell which one I am listening to, but for $499 that ef400 sounds pretty darn good.

Mar 21, 2023 at 3:24 PM Post #2,892 of 3,139
I have been using the nobsound for almost a year with no problems as a volume control. I have it between a denafrips ares 2 and soloist. I tried powered preamps but prefer the passive nobsound. I also prefer it with the soloist in power amp mode and the nobsound to the soloist in normal mode directly fed by the denafrips. I have used several different DACs and to my ears the nobsound doesnt seem to change the sound whether in or out of the signal chain. I have also tried using a mojo2 as a dac directly into the soloist and used the mojo for volume control, but really just prefer the denafrips/nobsound/soloist. All that being said I just got a hifiman ef400 and with a V2 Arya its hard to tell much difference between it and my denafrips/soloist. That opinion may change as I spend more time listening and have my wife blindly switch between them so I cant tell which one I am listening to, but for $499 that ef400 sounds pretty darn good.
Thanks for your input! Might just go that route considering how inexpensive it is, especially if its through Amazon with their return policy. I don't know much about the EF400 but definitely give yourself a bit of time exclusively listening to that amp before doing A/B tests. I really enjoy the Soloist's sound signature, especially at its price point. Definitely trying to maximize its potential as much as possible without having to fork up several thousand for an upgraded solid state amp.

Mar 23, 2023 at 12:42 PM Post #2,893 of 3,139
I don't know much about the EF400 but definitely give yourself a bit of time exclusively listening to that amp before doing A/B tests. I really enjoy the Soloist's sound signature, especially at its price point.
I have both - and a Lyr+ as well. The EF400 is a nice unit, and it does have a different general freq response however that can be changed with proper EQ so I'm not sure how much stock I'd put in the different general sonic profile you get, freq response wise. Though you won't be able to match them you can make those minor adjustments.

The EF400 has a slightly less articulate low end - it's toward the muddier side whereas the Burson is more precise. The Burson is also more dynamic, and despite all specs the Soloist has a good deal more real power for hard to drive headphones.

More importantly, the Soloist images far better than the EF400. If that isn't important, i.e. depth and placement of instruments, layering, the EF400 is a very nice DAC/ Amp combination. The DAC in some ways is more pleasing than my Bifrost 2/64 actually. You can hear more detail in the vibrato of strings, surprisingly enough, than with the Bifrost. Some of that is due to different frequencies being more pronounced in the mids...but again that can be tweaked a little bit, but not completely.

But the Soloist simply has more dynamic capability, it's tighter, far more articulate, and will bring out more of what you feed into it than the EF400 which will muddy it a little. Good in some cases, but with my Lyr+ as a preamp to the Burson, I can hear every tiny nuance to the different tubes I use. The EF400 amp can't do that. Sounds very nice and for the money a great unit (surprised me, I counted on sending it back and kept it). But for critical listening, the Soloist is in a different league.

The Lyr+ by comparison - a little tighter, power is maybe a little better than the EF400, different sound profile for sure. a little more detail in the amp output (obviously not comparing the DAC)...to me they're pretty close though I give the edge to the Lyr+ in detail and staging as well. But that one is far more subjective - the Soloist is a different league than both of them, amp-wise - but it doesn't always matter. Some orchestral stuff I prefer on the EF400, plain and simple. I don't care if the horns don't place explicitly 12' back vs. kind of over there...the ambience is more pleasing to me but on a jazz quartet, well, it's Soloist all the way for sure.

Forgive me the lengthy rambling input - these are of course my findings. I hope they help.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #2,894 of 3,139
I have both - and a Lyr+ as well. The EF400 is a nice unit, and it does have a different general freq response however that can be changed with proper EQ so I'm not sure how much stock I'd put in the different general sonic profile you get, freq response wise. Though you won't be able to match them you can make those minor adjustments.

The EF400 has a slightly less articulate low end - it's toward the muddier side whereas the Burson is more precise. The Burson is also more dynamic, and despite all specs the Soloist has a good deal more real power for hard to drive headphones.

More importantly, the Soloist images far better than the EF400. If that isn't important, i.e. depth and placement of instruments, layering, the EF400 is a very nice DAC/ Amp combination. The DAC in some ways is more pleasing than my Bifrost 2/64 actually. You can hear more detail in the vibrato of strings, surprisingly enough, than with the Bifrost. Some of that is due to different frequencies being more pronounced in the mids...but again that can be tweaked a little bit, but not completely.

But the Soloist simply has more dynamic capability, it's tighter, far more articulate, and will bring out more of what you feed into it than the EF400 which will muddy it a little. Good in some cases, but with my Lyr+ as a preamp to the Burson, I can hear every tiny nuance to the different tubes I use. The EF400 amp can't do that. Sounds very nice and for the money a great unit (surprised me, I counted on sending it back and kept it). But for critical listening, the Soloist is in a different league.

The Lyr+ by comparison - a little tighter, power is maybe a little better than the EF400, different sound profile for sure. a little more detail in the amp output (obviously not comparing the DAC)...to me they're pretty close though I give the edge to the Lyr+ in detail and staging as well. But that one is far more subjective - the Soloist is a different league than both of them, amp-wise - but it doesn't always matter. Some orchestral stuff I prefer on the EF400, plain and simple. I don't care if the horns don't place explicitly 12' back vs. kind of over there...the ambience is more pleasing to me but on a jazz quartet, well, it's Soloist all the way for sure.

Forgive me the lengthy rambling input - these are of course my findings. I hope they help.

Thanks for the comparison.

Mar 23, 2023 at 2:15 PM Post #2,895 of 3,139
Thanks for the comparison.
I'd take an interest in any input that compares the LCD-(x) or similar cans with Grado GS-1000e (original) on the Burson. I'm seriously considering picking up the LCD-4 but don't really want to spend that kind of money...I might be inclined to get one of the less-pricey models, but have no take, no way to listen to them other than to purchase and hope then return which I hate doing...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back