Burson Soloist 3X Performance Head/Pre Amp - 8Wpc XLR with MUSE72320 volume control
Feb 17, 2023 at 11:17 PM Post #2,866 of 3,128
Is it normal to hear a nominal noise floor with headphones on the medium gain with no music playing? I do have it hooked up to the supercharger. I got the amp in the used market and my understanding beforehand was that the amp should have a dead silent noise floor but maybe that's only for the low gain.

Feb 18, 2023 at 4:29 AM Post #2,867 of 3,128
Is it normal to hear a nominal noise floor with headphones on the medium gain with no music playing? I do have it hooked up to the supercharger.
"with headphones" is a really detailed description :D
With a Meze 109 Pro I can hear just a little bit of noise floor if no music plays. But with a HE1000V2 it is completly silent.
my understanding beforehand was that the amp should have a dead silent noise floor but maybe that's only for the low gain.
No. It is a class A design, they have usually some noise floor with really really efficient headphones / IEMs. But to be honest, it does not matter in practive. I even use the Soloist with IEMs. Because how often do you have your headphone on your head without any music and listen to "the nothing"? Not often I open :D

Feb 18, 2023 at 9:57 AM Post #2,868 of 3,128
Does anyone know if this mode bypasses both the Muse op-amps (responsible for volume control) and the V6 Vivid op-amps? My gut feeling that the latter would also be bypassed due to the rather significant change in the sound signature/presentation, which, by comparison, I would actually describe as "vivid" (as the op-amps' name would suggest) when the bypass mode is not engaged.
The 3XP in 'headphone power amp mode' bypasses the whole volume stage, so both Muse op-amps. The signal still goes through the Vivid op-amps in the amplification circuit.

Feb 18, 2023 at 1:05 PM Post #2,869 of 3,128
"with headphones" is a really detailed description :D
With a Meze 109 Pro I can hear just a little bit of noise floor if no music plays. But with a HE1000V2 it is completly silent.

No. It is a class A design, they have usually some noise floor with really really efficient headphones / IEMs. But to be honest, it does not matter in practive. I even use the Soloist with IEMs. Because how often do you have your headphone on your head without any music and listen to "the nothing"? Not often I open :D

It's funny, I was using 109 Pro as well when I wrote it. :) With Arya V2, the noise is very minimum. And you're right, I didn't find it to be any problem when playing music but was just curious. Thanks for replying!

BTW, how do you like HE1000V2 with the soloist? I plan on demoing it within the next few weeks to see if it's really an upgrade from the Arya v2.

Feb 18, 2023 at 1:39 PM Post #2,871 of 3,128
BTW, how do you like HE1000V2 with the soloist? I plan on demoing it within the next few weeks to see if it's really an upgrade from the Arya v2.

Best combination ever. I had so many headphones and so many amps that I am even not able to count. For me(!), it is the best combo so far. But everyone is different. So you have to check it out by yourself :)

Feb 18, 2023 at 2:05 PM Post #2,872 of 3,128
The 3XP in 'headphone power amp mode' bypasses the whole volume stage, so both Muse op-amps. The signal still goes through the Vivid op-amps in the amplification circuit.
I thought that was the case "on paper" but I found the two modes sounding so different on my headphones (in terms of holography and smoothness) that I thought it surely must be bypassing the Vivid op-amps too.

Feb 18, 2023 at 2:09 PM Post #2,873 of 3,128
I thought that was the case "on paper" but I found the two modes sounding so different on my headphones (in terms of holography and smoothness) that I thought it surely must be bypassing the Vivid op-amps too.
No, those are still in the circuit. 2 op-amps instead of 4, minus all the volume stage circuitry. The difference indeed is big. A lot more spacious, dynamic and clear in 'headphone power amp mode'. The downside is you need a DAC with volume control.

Feb 18, 2023 at 4:11 PM Post #2,874 of 3,128
No, those are still in the circuit. 2 op-amps instead of 4, minus all the volume stage circuitry. The difference indeed is big. A lot more spacious, dynamic and clear in 'headphone power amp mode'. The downside is you need a DAC with volume control.
I also like the soloist better in power amp mode. I have used several dacs and amps with a preamp function and my favorite is a denafrips ares2 going to a balanced passive preamp/volume control then into the soloist. I bought one on amazon for about $50 and it seems to be dead silent and my ears cannot tell any sound difference with or without the passive volume control in the chain. My second favorite is the mojo 2 as a dac into the soloist. Plus with the mojo 2 you also have eq.

Feb 18, 2023 at 7:26 PM Post #2,875 of 3,128
For me it's partly the other way round. It's much more spacious in "normal" mode, although I can sense that this effect is a little "coloured' (perhaps even a little V-shaped), hence I thought that it must be the Vivid op-amps that are taken out of the equation also in the power amp mode, I didn't think that the Muse op-amps would make that big of a difference. In "bypass mode" things are much more direct, more natural (although a little "dry") I would say, but the "wow" effect is also taken away. I initially preferred the bypass mode but I constantly find myself going back to the standard mode because it's just more pleasant to my ears, even though there's clearly some colouration going on. By it seems to be done in a really nice way and I guess that's partly the reason for this DAC's price. I'll do some more switching back and forth to see if I develop a clear preference.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2023 at 2:59 AM Post #2,876 of 3,128
For me it's partly the other way round. It's much more spacious in "normal" mode, although I can sense that this effect is a little "coloured' (perhaps even a little V-shaped), hence I thought that it must be the Vivid op-amps that are taken out of the equation also in the power amp mode, I didn't think that the Muse op-amps would make that big of a difference. In "bypass mode" things are much more direct, more natural (although a little "dry") I would say, but the "wow" effect is also taken away. I initially preferred the bypass mode but I constantly find myself going back to the standard mode because it's just more pleasant to my ears, even though there's clearly some colouration going on. By it seems to be done in a really nice way and I guess that's partly the reason for this DAC's price. I'll do some more switching back and forth to see if I develop a clear preference.
Yes, at the end of the day it is a preference thing. I think your observations are correct. Bypass mode is more neutral, punchier and above all, has improved clarity. At the same time it is a bit dry. Normal mode looses some clarity and it is more coloured, but also slightly warmer and more pleasant, especially in the mids. I think EDM probably sounds better in bypass mode, vocal/acoustic in normal mode. Good to have the options.

Feb 20, 2023 at 11:27 AM Post #2,877 of 3,128
Hi all,

I could use a some help here.

I've got both a Soloist 3XP and a Schiit Magni (original Magni from like 10 years ago) that I have being fed by the same DAC (A Schiit Bifrost 2/non 64) and are playing to a pair of HFM Arya stealth magnet edition headphones. The Soloist is being fed the signal via XLR's while the Magni is being fed via RCA's. I originally purchased the Burson as I thought it would potentially offer a sound improvement over the Schiit, it had a remote (which is uber handy as where I listen is not where the amp is located) and it offered both SE out as well as balanced out.

Unfortunately, what I appear to be finding is the Soloist doesn't seem to sound as good to me as the Schiit. The Soloist is in stock configuration using 4 V6 vivid opamps. To my ears the Schiit combo just seems to offer more oomph in the low end and more texture to the mids on the Arya SM vs the Soloist as well as the tone being a bit more natural. I know people recommend putting the Sparkos opamps in the volume stage of the amp to potentially pull down the treble a bit vs. stock, but I suppose what I'm wondering is whether or not anyone has any experience in coming from Schiit gear to the Burson with the Sparko opamp and whether the sound was comparable in overall tone? Or is there just better synergy between the Schiit DAC/amp and maybe spending money on another opamp wouldn't necessarily change the sound enough to where I'd just be better off selling the Soloist and picking up a Jot 2 instead. Kinda don't want to throw money at the amp thinking it will get closer to the sound I apparently like vs maybe just saying the Soloist purchase wasn't for me.

Feb 20, 2023 at 11:34 AM Post #2,878 of 3,128
Hi all,

I could use a some help here.

I've got both a Soloist 3XP and a Schiit Magni (original Magni from like 10 years ago) that I have being fed by the same DAC (A Schiit Bifrost 2/non 64) and are playing to a pair of HFM Arya stealth magnet edition headphones. The Soloist is being fed the signal via XLR's while the Magni is being fed via RCA's. I originally purchased the Burson as I thought it would potentially offer a sound improvement over the Schiit, it had a remote (which is uber handy as where I listen is not where the amp is located) and it offered both SE out as well as balanced out.

Unfortunately, what I appear to be finding is the Soloist doesn't seem to sound as good to me as the Schiit. The Soloist is in stock configuration using 4 V6 vivid opamps. To my ears the Schiit combo just seems to offer more oomph in the low end and more texture to the mids on the Arya SM vs the Soloist as well as the tone being a bit more natural. I know people recommend putting the Sparkos opamps in the volume stage of the amp to potentially pull down the treble a bit vs. stock, but I suppose what I'm wondering is whether or not anyone has any experience in coming from Schiit gear to the Burson with the Sparko opamp and whether the sound was comparable in overall tone? Or is there just better synergy between the Schiit DAC/amp and maybe spending money on another opamp wouldn't necessarily change the sound enough to where I'd just be better off selling the Soloist and picking up a Jot 2 instead. Kinda don't want to throw money at the amp thinking it will get closer to the sound I apparently like vs maybe just saying the Soloist purchase wasn't for me.
I would leave the op-amps for now.

Try to connect only the Soloist to your DAC and unplug the RCA from your Magni. There is a chance, if you connect two amps, the output voltage of the DAC gets halved which can lead to inadequate sound.

Feb 20, 2023 at 11:40 AM Post #2,879 of 3,128
I would leave the op-amps for now.

Try to connect only the Soloist to your DAC and unplug the RCA from your Magni. There is a chance, if you connect two amps, the output voltage of the DAC gets halved which can lead to inadequate sound.
Thanks. I should say I've had this amp connected by itself off the DAC as well and I don't feel it changed the overall signature.

Feb 20, 2023 at 11:43 AM Post #2,880 of 3,128
Thanks. I should say I've had this amp connected by itself off the DAC as well and I don't feel it changed the overall signature.
Then it might be that you simply prefer the Magni.

If you had a DAC with volume control, you could try 'headphone power amp mode' on the 3XP which sound very different to normal mode.

If you don't like the 3XP, no op-amp will change that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back