Burson Soloist 3X Performance Head/Pre Amp - 8Wpc XLR with MUSE72320 volume control
Nov 18, 2021 at 5:41 AM Post #1,876 of 3,128
Thanks for all the replies on regarding preamps. I thought I was done after getting the dac, amp, supercharger and multiple headphones... but no... the rabbit hole is endless... preamps, tubes, non-tube, passive, active....

And now I've learned about DDCs...... (btw Golden Sound's Youtube channel is fantastic)

Nov 18, 2021 at 6:09 AM Post #1,877 of 3,128
Thanks for all the replies on regarding preamps. I thought I was done after getting the dac, amp, supercharger and multiple headphones... but no... the rabbit hole is endless... preamps, tubes, non-tube, passive, active....

And now I've learned about DDCs...... (btw Golden Sound's Youtube channel is fantastic)
And a good streamer to further isolate electrical noise too. Maybe also dabble into the controversial world of cables so you can decide if it makes an audible improvement in your chain too :)

Nov 18, 2021 at 8:17 AM Post #1,878 of 3,128
50% off the super charger power supply right now. Pretty good deal on it if you were on the fence.

Nov 18, 2021 at 9:36 PM Post #1,880 of 3,128

Attachments

• 22B16CD2-664A-494B-918A-245749255E52.jpeg
    22B16CD2-664A-494B-918A-245749255E52.jpeg
    408.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 19, 2021 at 1:51 AM Post #1,881 of 3,128
Don't know if any of you guys also experienced the same, I recently noticed that my Soloist 3xp start to have a higher noise floor, I'm using low sensitive planars like Arya and Empyrean, but when I turn Soloist to power amp mode, even on Mid gain, there's clearly some audible noise when nothing is being played or no source is plugged, and when I turn to High gain, the noise is much louder, like 'ta ta ta ta ta .....'
Also when I turn off power amp mode, and use High gain for my Arya, I find that when volume is below 51, there's a very audible noise, but when volume set to over 52, the noise is much lower, which is really weird.....
BTW I'm using their Super Charger as power source

Nov 19, 2021 at 3:44 AM Post #1,882 of 3,128
Don't know if any of you guys also experienced the same, I recently noticed that my Soloist 3xp start to have a higher noise floor, I'm using low sensitive planars like Arya and Empyrean, but when I turn Soloist to power amp mode, even on Mid gain, there's clearly some audible noise when nothing is being played or no source is plugged, and when I turn to High gain, the noise is much louder, like 'ta ta ta ta ta .....'
Also when I turn off power amp mode, and use High gain for my Arya, I find that when volume is below 51, there's a very audible noise, but when volume set to over 52, the noise is much lower, which is really weird.....
BTW I'm using their Super Charger as power source

Maybe you have one or more faulty opamps, you should the extra included opamps to determine if that’s the problem.

Nov 19, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #1,883 of 3,128
And a good streamer to further isolate electrical noise too. Maybe also dabble into the controversial world of cables so you can decide if it makes an audible improvement in your chain too :)
Interesting!

Doubt I'll be going down then cable route but the streamer is possible.
Adding all components prices it makes me wonder if one could have same if not better sq using simply better headamp...? If you add dac price to the equation - like Chord Qutest - you are close to new Hugo TT2 cost for example.

Now that I've seen what preamps do, I do like the flexibility that some of them allow... (e.g. the ability to switch between multiple dacs I'm addition to the volume control)

Anyone here have experience with the topping pre90?

Goldpoint and Gustard p26 also seem like viable options

Nov 20, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #1,884 of 3,128
Maybe you have one or more faulty opamps, you should the extra included opamps to determine if that’s the problem.
I just tried it again, I found that both channel share the same noise, so I feel it probably not because of the Opamps, otherwise it would be too coincident that the Opamps on both channel broke together... I wondering can you guys hear noise when using high gain in power amp mode when no source is connected?

Nov 20, 2021 at 5:28 PM Post #1,885 of 3,128
I just tried it again, I found that both channel share the same noise, so I feel it probably not because of the Opamps, otherwise it would be too coincident that the Opamps on both channel broke together... I wondering can you guys hear noise when using high gain in power amp mode when no source is connected?
Contact Burson if they know the solution or can advise on the matter. I dont have any noise issue unless I use high gain. I am using Verite Closed. When I contacted them, they said VC is fairly sensitive headphone hence impedance mismatch led to such noise in high gain. I have plenty of headroom in medium gain for all my music types so I am happy. Check if you get same noise with other headphones or DACS as well.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2021 at 3:05 PM Post #1,886 of 3,128
So reading through the thread I haven’t seen a full comparison between the Sparkos Aries and the 3XP. I got the 3XP as a SS upgrade to my Mainline. It has way better soundstage and gain and feels less flat with my HEKv1s but curious if the Aries would be worth it at twice the cost. I do really like the nonfatiguing treble of the 3X while still bringing good amounts of detail. Thoughts?

Nov 22, 2021 at 5:30 AM Post #1,888 of 3,128
Just got my 3 GT ... the fan is signifficantly louder than the i9 macbook pro when running at half blast, which is considered a relatively loud laptop ... I'm sitting about 1.5m from my stack when I work, I like to have a quiet environment and the fan noise is a killer for me I think.

Sound quality wise it looks like a nice upgrade from the 3xp (I still need some burn in and compare it with stock vivids in the 3xp) so I will come back with more detailed impressions.

... but the fan is a deal breaker for me I think unfortunately ... let's see if I manage to get over it. I mean I can hear the fan easily during quiet passages in my headphones ... 0_o

Nov 22, 2021 at 5:52 AM Post #1,889 of 3,128
I'm sitting about 1.5m from my stack when I work, I like to have a quiet environment and the fan noise is a killer for me I think.
Let's see if I have a problem with the fan noise.
It will be also in 1.5 m distance but there are 2 x NUC, 2 x NAS on the same shelf. So I got used to a not very quiet environment :wink:

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2021 at 6:33 AM Post #1,890 of 3,128
My air conditioning will always be noisier than any fan so I think I’ll be okay. Based on measurements, the fan is supposed to be quieter than the ambient noise or a recording studio too. And I don’t listen too near the amp anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back