Burson Soloist 3X Performance Head/Pre Amp - 8Wpc XLR with MUSE72320 volume control
Nov 13, 2021 at 3:48 AM Post #1,846 of 3,128
What Op amps have you got at the moment ? Let us know for sure how GT compares to Soloist with your current Op amps when you get GT.
Cassics on input and Sparkos on volume. Will post some impressions and comparison when I get it ... maybe this year

Nov 13, 2021 at 4:58 AM Post #1,848 of 3,128
Nov 13, 2021 at 5:11 AM Post #1,850 of 3,128
Do Sparkos Op-amps fit well under the hood of Soloist easily ? and Do I replace all four ? Anything else like soundstage, separation and layering different between the two ?
I've posted some relatively detailed impressions before in this thread. They fit no problem, if you get around to fitting I can advise. I also got help here when I was fitting mine.

Nov 13, 2021 at 6:05 AM Post #1,852 of 3,128
@PoSR77 I am listening with Fiio FH5 right now to amazing Misty album by Tsuyoshi Yamamoto Trio. The piano sounds great if not amazing sometimes, however both in power amp mode and in medium and high gain the background is not black and I do hear some noise. I have Soloist connected to Mytek Brooklyn Bridge and I hear the same issues regardless of used volume control: digital or analog (I prefer analog). Keep in mind it maybe a problem in my system.

Even on low gain I can hear music at volume level set to 1. I can not cross 50 so there is planty of headroom.

Just for clarification: my Soloist runs on stock opamps and is currently connected with RCA inputs to the dac.

Love Tsuyoshi Yamamoto! Some great sound on those Three Blind Mice recordings. :L3000:

Thanks for checking; I did again as well and with the Odin and all my major amps I just hear nothing but silence, even with the volume turned up higher than normal.

Hi, I’m using Soloist 3xp with Odins. On my stack it’s close to perfection. Odins are amazing and pretty much on par with 1266 tc / Susvara.

Low gain works great. You can do (and should) op amp rolling. If you do, get it with the Supercharger.

I like mine so much I pre ordered the GT as well, so may be selling my 3xp (or GT :p ) in a few weeks.

Also if you ever get other headphones to drive you will already have one of the best amps on the market.

The Odins blow away my Auteur and Arya...I don't even use them for music anymore. I'm not surprised they are close to summit-fi headphones like the 1266 tc or Susvara. They sound to me almost like my best speaker systems were shrunk down and put into my ear. Amazing. I realized that I'd have to spend 3k+ on full sized headphones to match them, which, as of now, I'm not willing to do (basically I would want the Odin sound in a full sized headphone). But yes, if I did, I'm aware that the Soloist would be there waiting to drive them well. :thumbsup:Thanks for the helpful info!

Honestly I wouldn't get either if I was listening to iem's. I would buy a dx300. I highly enjoy my dx300 and enjoy it more with iem's than I do when paired to my Soloist. The dx300 pairs better with iem's.

I second this. DX300 is a better buy.

I have considered this too. I just worry that DAPs are more for portability rather than the best option in sound. I have read that the DX300 is a great match for the Odin; however I've also read that it's only an incremental improvement over the DX160. That worries me as all of my full sized amps are a significant improvement over the DX160 (even my old Asgard 2 which I've never really liked).

Also, I hate messing around with charging portable sources and am looking at an "always on" desktop solution.

But your endorsements here are making me question all this, so thanks and I will consider this option again. (Ugh! Too many options!).

EDIT: I've decided to go with the Funk. Depending on how much I enjoy it, I will probably advance to the Soloist; especially if I decide to get some summitt-fi over the ear cans in the future. Thanks to all who proffered their experience and views: they were helpful. :smile_phones:

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #1,853 of 3,128
I got 2 superchargers yesterday for my composer and soloist stack. I couldn't tell the direct difference because I was to lazy to switch the power back and forth.

However, I don't know if it is placebo effect or not. I felt less fatigue and intended to listen for a longer period of time.

Nov 14, 2021 at 11:32 AM Post #1,854 of 3,128
Does anyone know how to dim (or preferably completely turn off) the screen on the Soloist 3xp? I didn't see anything in the manual about this. Would like to eventually use this at nighttime in the bedroom eventually but the screen seems way too bright to do so.

Also, would love for the blue standby light to turn off when the unit isn't on, but figure that might be a stretch.

Nov 14, 2021 at 12:38 PM Post #1,855 of 3,128
If you like a bit of warmth I would also check out second hand ifi Pro iCan (just keep in mind it has iem match).

Pro iCAN's 3.5mm outputs have inline iEMatch modules to work with sensitive loads, but its XLR/6.3mm combo sockets and 4-pin XLR don't feature these.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Nov 14, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #1,856 of 3,128
Does anyone know how to dim (or preferably completely turn off) the screen on the Soloist 3xp? I didn't see anything in the manual about this. Would like to eventually use this at nighttime in the bedroom eventually but the screen seems way too bright to do so.

Also, would love for the blue standby light to turn off when the unit isn't on, but figure that might be a stretch.
I buy sample sheets of car window tint film - the darkest one available. Cut tiny pieces and affix to LED lights/display panels with Scotch Invisible Magictape. Yes, it's ugly, but it works and is very cheap. For particularly bright LEDs I use a stack of two pieces of car window tint film. Practically every electronic device in my bedroom has had this 'treatment'!

Nov 14, 2021 at 5:29 PM Post #1,857 of 3,128
I am never a cable or power guy, but this time I gave the Superchargers a try. I bought two of these for my composer and soloist, just for curiosity and not expecting too much before I made the purchase.

I didn't bother doing AB test with my stock power bars since I find it too annoying to switch around. After two nights listening, I found myself less easily get fatigue during long listening sessions. More surprisingly, I found some considered bad quality tracks are now working very well. I always thought that I had clean enough power in my area and I also use a Furman power conditioner, so that I shouldn't get any poweor issue. Maybe I am wrong. So far, I am pretty happy with this new purchase. :)

I feel so bad that Burson don't use these for their products by default.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2021 at 1:03 AM Post #1,858 of 3,128
Can you please advise me what gain should be used with Sennheiser HD650?
I tend to listen on low levels when I am working and found that on high gain still there is significant volume at 1 on volume dial.
Thanks,

Nov 17, 2021 at 1:13 AM Post #1,859 of 3,128
Can you please advise me what gain should be used with Sennheiser HD650?
I tend to listen on low levels when I am working and found that on high gain still there is significant volume at 1 on volume dial.
Thanks,
I find the best gain for me is usually the one that has the right listening volume when i am at 65-75% on the dial. Prefer lower gain over higher, but may need to go higher if I am having to crank the volume much higher than 75%. Right now I am using medium gain and am at 69% for my headphones.

Nov 17, 2021 at 2:30 AM Post #1,860 of 3,128
I find the best gain for me is usually the one that has the right listening volume when i am at 65-75% on the dial. Prefer lower gain over higher, but may need to go higher if I am having to crank the volume much higher than 75%. Right now I am using medium gain and am at 69% for my headphones.

Interesting, I usually listen at the 25-35 volume range on the dial. Perhaps I should set a lower gain? I'm not sure where the sweet spot is for the 3XP in terms of volume level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back