Burson Soloist 3X Performance Head/Pre Amp - 8Wpc XLR with MUSE72320 volume control
Nov 11, 2021 at 3:33 AM Post #1,816 of 3,128
I am in need of a dac for my Soloist. I was considering the qutest but I prefer listening to the soloist in power amp mode. I would hate to purchase the qutest and not like the sound without power amp mode. I am considering the denafrips ares, adi dac 2,and the composer. If anyone could help steer me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. Pros and cons? Any suggestions for dac's are welcomed also.
What sort of sound signature do you like ?

Nov 11, 2021 at 3:34 AM Post #1,817 of 3,128
My reactions when
Put my order in for the supercharger.. Hope it's a worthy upgrade!
OK Got the supercharger today. These represent the different expressions I had when I listened to it.

First receiving it.....Apprehension at spending $440 AUD on the super charger.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

After 5 minutes

giphy.gif

After 3 hours going through my library

giphy.gif

I am freaking impressed. Blacker Background, Much smoother but still an extremely detailed presentation. That hint of glare I get from the soloist listening to female voices such as Lauren Mayberry from CHVRCHES or my beautiful Kpop Girls from TWICE especially after 2 hours gone. like gone. Can now just enjoy the ride.

Didn't believe it would make THAT much of a difference, but for me The Super Charger is a no brainer for me.

Highly recommend getting it despite the apprehension in the price.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2021 at 3:43 AM Post #1,818 of 3,128
I am in need of a dac for my Soloist. I was considering the qutest but I prefer listening to the soloist in power amp mode. I would hate to purchase the qutest and not like the sound without power amp mode. I am considering the denafrips ares, adi dac 2,and the composer. If anyone could help steer me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. Pros and cons? Any suggestions for dac's are welcomed also.
I am using a Bifrost 2. I can see this not being the "right" DAC for everyone, especially if you like orchestral or very nuanced recordings, but these sound absolutely "correct" with the soloist and my empyreans. Significant upgrade over my tone 2 pro and 80 percent of genres sound very lush and musical. Not overly warm like a lot of people say it is but its main goal surely isnt being bright or airy. I would think this is a clear choice over the Ares 2 at least.

Nov 11, 2021 at 3:46 AM Post #1,819 of 3,128
also the adi you should only buy if you need the features imo. as a pure DAC it isnt worth quite that amount and in this price range you should be considering R2R if your main goal is pleasure. Composer im neutral on and havent tried, probably isnt bad. The Pontus 2 is worth consideration too if you can step up a little bit in price.

Nov 11, 2021 at 4:05 AM Post #1,820 of 3,128
My reactions when

OK Got the supercharger today. These represent the different expressions I had when I listened to it.

After 5 minutes

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I am freaking impressed. Blacker Background, Much smoother but still an extremely detailed presentation. That hint of glare I get from the soloist listening to female voices such as Lauren Mayberry from CHVRCHES or my beautiful Kpop Girls from TWICE especially after 2 hours gone. like gone. Can now just enjoy the ride.

Didn't believe it would make THAT much of a difference, but for me The Super Charger is a no brainer for me.

Good to know! Looking at some of the competition (e.g Ferrum Hypsos), it is relatively inexpensive. I would be curious to know how the Supercharger compares to other PSU options! I imagine one couldn’t go better than a psu specifically designed to Burson but I dunno yet.

Nov 11, 2021 at 4:19 AM Post #1,821 of 3,128
Good to know! Looking at some of the competition (e.g Ferrum Hypsos), it is relatively inexpensive. I would be curious to know how the Supercharger compares to other PSU options! I imagine one couldn’t go better than a psu specifically designed to Burson but I dunno yet.
yeah its nearly perfect imo, didnt even know you could get this out of the soloist. I really really like Burson and trust that their product is of incredibly high quality and more than worth the price. however keep in mind a 5A version is coming soon if you think youd prefer that. would have more compatibility with different amps

Nov 11, 2021 at 4:19 AM Post #1,822 of 3,128
also the adi you should only buy if you need the features imo. as a pure DAC it isnt worth quite that amount and in this price range you should be considering R2R if your main goal is pleasure. Composer im neutral on and havent tried, probably isnt bad. The Pontus 2 is worth consideration too if you can step up a little bit in price.
I was looking at the ares too. I want to use the soloist in power amp mode so I would need to ha e volume control. Does the area and pontus 2 have volume control?

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2021 at 4:21 AM Post #1,823 of 3,128
Been weighing up an 24v Sbooster botw LPS, £330 in the UK. A well reviewed unit but just 1.1amp current.

Nov 11, 2021 at 4:36 AM Post #1,824 of 3,128
yeah its nearly perfect imo, didnt even know you could get this out of the soloist. I really really like Burson and trust that their product is of incredibly high quality and more than worth the price. however keep in mind a 5A version is coming soon if you think youd prefer that. would have more compatibility with different amps
I pre-ordered the GT back in September, and it turns out I will receive it with a suprise free 5A supercharger so I am very much excited!

Nov 11, 2021 at 4:50 AM Post #1,825 of 3,128
I pre-ordered the GT back in September, and it turns out I will receive it with a suprise free 5A supercharger so I am very much excited!
thats amazing, i wish i could justify buying that instead but 900 dollars right now is just too easy to justify. I cant imagine this being that much better tbh, so if it is im jealous.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2021 at 4:55 AM Post #1,826 of 3,128
I was looking at the ares too. I want to use the soloist in power amp mode so I would need to ha e volume control. Does the area and pontus 2 have volume control?
not sure I am using my A90 as a preamp. i asked before about whether this affected or colored sound but after testing its superior in headamp mode regardless. I would at least make sure you have some kind of volume control for headamp mode as there is simply not even a real comparison here as for quality. I think its worth just worrying about whether the DAC will do its own job and worry about volume separately. I think the ADI purchase alone is worth an A90 less than its actual performance as just a DAC, so in that regard an A90 and Bifrost is likely going to serve you better or at least as good as the ADI. as for the Ares if it has a real preamp volume control, i forget, that could be a value proposition. just keep in mind it is lacking in some critical areas and is mostly overhyped imo. The bifrost isnt perfect either but i just love the sound being so full and organic. its a flavor dac that i can see people that own even the holo may or something switching to occasionally.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2021 at 9:27 AM Post #1,827 of 3,128
My reactions when

After 5 minutes

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

High five, I am also fan of Twice and really like listening to them when I got the supercharger :)

Nov 12, 2021 at 11:14 AM Post #1,829 of 3,128
Currently trying to decide between this or the Funk. I don't need the extra power as I'll be using it primarily for IEM's (Odins), but if the Soloist has better sound quality too (on the single ended out) it would be worth it.

Kind of wondering if I should just get the cheaper Funk first to try the Burson sound and then later use it in a bedroom set up if I decided to go up the the Soloist for my main.

Anyone compare the Funk to the Soloist? Is the Soloist about the same sound with just more power, or better sound as well? Again, really only concerned with comparing the single ended outs on both for now. Thanks for any help.

Nov 12, 2021 at 12:23 PM Post #1,830 of 3,128
Currently trying to decide between this or the Funk. I don't need the extra power as I'll be using it primarily for IEM's (Odins), but if the Soloist has better sound quality too (on the single ended out) it would be worth it.

Kind of wondering if I should just get the cheaper Funk first to try the Burson sound and then later use it in a bedroom set up if I decided to go up the the Soloist for my main.

Anyone compare the Funk to the Soloist? Is the Soloist about the same sound with just more power, or better sound as well? Again, really only concerned with comparing the single ended outs on both for now. Thanks for any help.
@PoSR77 I'm not much of IEM user, but I have some noise on mid and high gain with Soloist with full size dynamic cans. If you would like to control volume using Soloist knob be aware that sometimes circuitry gets lost and setups wrong volume value for a while. This is quite annoying. Some Soloists have problem with volume jump, however Burson helps to fix it.

Overall I would reconsider getting Burson Soloist especially for IEMs. Have not experience with Funk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back