Burson Soloist 3X Performance Head/Pre Amp - 8Wpc XLR with MUSE72320 volume control
Nov 8, 2021 at 4:45 AM Post #1,802 of 3,132
Does anyone know the standby power consumption of the Burson Soloist 3XP?

With energy prices in the UK rising to record levels over the next year, I'm going around my house and switching off any electrical item that I am not actively using. I think the 3XP uses negligible energy when in standby mode (blue light showing) as it's cold to the touch so I think I can leave it in standby mode and not worry about the energy consumption.

Nov 8, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #1,803 of 3,132
Does anyone know the standby power consumption of the Burson Soloist 3XP?

With energy prices in the UK rising to record levels over the next year, I'm going around my house and switching off any electrical item that I am not actively using. I think the 3XP uses negligible energy when in standby mode (blue light showing) as it's cold to the touch so I think I can leave it in standby mode and not worry about the energy consumption.
I think you will be fine with the Soloist in stand by mode.

Nov 9, 2021 at 3:19 AM Post #1,804 of 3,132
Trigger warning - I'm gonna put out what I think is going to be an unpopular take but I'm doing this not to offend anyone, but to ask for advice.

I've just spent the last hour switching between my Soloist 3XP with supercharger and a regular old THX 789. Both are hooked up to a Denafrips Aries II. Started this experiment with Focal Clears then switched to Aryas which are known to be amp dependant.

I cannot hear a difference between the two amps - not in tonality, clarity, stage... Nada.

I'm wondering what I just spent three / four times the price of the thx for.

A couple of points. I assume I'm using the stock Op-Amps. I haven't opened it yet but will soon as I have a faulty select button in then soloist volume dial. Burson are sending me a replacement part. Will see how that goes.

Back to the main point/question, if there is a difference between the Soloist and the 789 I really seem to be missing it. Can anyone here who has compared both amps properly (i.e. using the same DAC and headphones) tell me what audible differences you've heard? Song references would be great so I can look out for them.

I was expecting a warm and engaging "class A" sound (whatever that means). As a further test I've hooked up the same DAC and headphones to my Tor Balanced... now that is a warm and engaging experience! Lush!!!

The soloist is my first class A solid state so I'd really like to understand what most people look for in these amps Vs a class D or other class (in addition to differences Vs the 789 from anyone who has run that test).

Thanks in advance
I think class A is often associated with a warmer character but not all Class A amps share this sonic character, just like not all Tube amps are warm sounding per se. Jot 2, for example, is class A but sounds closer to the neutral-sounding THX 789 which is class D, but A90 sounds much warmer than 789 which is also class D.

I actually have both amps in question and an Arya V2. It can be kinda difficult to hear the stage differences between amps with Arya since it's already a wide staging headphone. The differences in stage are a little easier to hear through a HE6SE.

A song I had picked apart and would like to share as an example is "Flowers" by GeeJay. I volume matched 789 and Soloist to the vocalist's sustained note from 2:28-2:32 as close as possible. From the chorus (0:59 to 1:19), you can hear the bass on 3XP has more weight and texture. You can also hear the decay of the piano a little better through 3XP, whereas the 789 "hides" the decay a little more and thus gets lost in the background. Second verse (1:19 to 1:39) there's a little synth you can hear riffing above (and possibly slightly to the right of) the vocalists position. The leading edge of each note is blunted in the 789, smearing the movement between notes. On the Soloist, the leading edges are better defined and effectively makes it sound like it isn't buried in the background. Second pre-chorus (1:38 to 1:48) there's a certain timbre to the bass synth stabs that sound different between each note, whereas each note sounds texturally similar as the next on the 789. Finally, at the piano solo at the end of the song (2:08-2:49), you can appreciate the piano's decay better on Soloist and again has better reproduction of the leading edge here; most evidently with the piano's lower notes being played with the pianists left hand. Towards the end of the solo as the pianist hits higher notes (2:37-2:48), the 789 sounds thinner and dynamically cannot keep up with the song, whereas the Soloist conveys the piano's crescendo more accurately with weight and cleanliness of each note.

I have to say the differences between amps can be subtle a lot of the time but whether that difference justifies the price difference is up to each listener individually. I hope this comparison has been helpful.
In my experience with qutest, soloist and verite closed, it was very much worthy upgrade. Incremental upgrade but noticeable. If you like open sound, great soundstage and Instrument separation with great micro details, Changing xlr or RCA interconnect to Pure Silver will even give you more noticeable sound upgrade in aforementioned areas. Changing from copper or Silver plated copper headphone cable to pure silver does the same thing. Ofcourse provided if you dont have bright headphones, dac or amp already in your system set up.
I like how I'm not the only one with a Qutest / Soloist combo and am upgrading from a 789.
It is, you won't regret the purchase especially if you are treble sensitive person.
The only downside of the Soloist to my ears is the emphasized treble. I usually hear it in "trap hi-hats" and sometimes in snare drums. Does the Super Charger alleviate the "emphasis" to these areas?

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2021 at 5:07 AM Post #1,805 of 3,132
I think class A is often associated with a warmer character but not all Class A amps share this sonic character, just like not all Tube amps are warm sounding per se. Jot 2, for example, is class A but sounds closer to the neutral-sounding THX 789 which is class D, but A90 sounds much warmer than 789 which is also class D.

I actually have both amps in question and an Arya V2. It can be kinda difficult to hear the stage differences between amps with Arya since it's already a wide staging headphone. The differences in stage are a little easier to hear through a HE6SE.

A song I had picked apart and would like to share as an example is "Flowers" by GeeJay. I volume matched 789 and Soloist to the vocalist's sustained note from 2:28-2:32 as close as possible. From the chorus (0:59 to 1:19), you can hear the bass on 3XP has more weight and texture. You can also hear the decay of the piano a little better through 3XP, whereas the 789 "hides" the decay a little more and thus gets lost in the background. Second verse (1:19 to 1:39) there's a little synth you can hear riffing above (and possibly slightly to the right of) the vocalists position. The leading edge of each note is blunted in the 789, smearing the movement between notes. On the Soloist, the leading edges are better defined and effectively makes it sound like it isn't buried in the background. Second pre-chorus (1:38 to 1:48) there's a certain timbre to the bass synth stabs that sound different between each note, whereas each note sounds texturally similar as the next on the 789. Finally, at the piano solo at the end of the song (2:08-2:49), you can appreciate the piano's decay better on Soloist and again has better reproduction of the leading edge here; most evidently with the piano's lower notes being played with the pianists left hand. Towards the end of the solo as the pianist hits higher notes (2:37-2:48), the 789 sounds thinner and dynamically cannot keep up with the song, whereas the Soloist conveys the piano's crescendo more accurately with weight and cleanliness of each note.

I have to say the differences between amps can be subtle a lot of the time but whether that difference justifies the price difference is up to each listener individually. I hope this comparison has been helpful.

I like how I'm not the only one with a Qutest / Soloist combo and am upgrading from a 789.

The only downside of the Soloist to my ears is the emphasized treble. I usually hear it in "trap hi-hats" and sometimes in snare drums. Does the Super Charger alleviate the "emphasis" to these areas?
Best way to feel the effect of Supercharger on treble harshness is by using DT770 pro. It is V shaped headphone with really piercing highs on some songs. Use of supercharger with the DT770 pro makes highs smooth but detailed at the same time.

Nov 9, 2021 at 6:01 AM Post #1,806 of 3,132

For me yes, it is a lot smoother across the entire frequency. This is with my He1000 v1 and ad2000x.

Nov 9, 2021 at 3:45 PM Post #1,807 of 3,132

I am using the Super Charger with the Soloist 3XP with the Composer 3XP (stock power supply) and notice less treble peak and slightly improved dynamics with the Arya V2. I had to switch back and forth between the Super Charger and stock power supply for the Soloist to really notice the changes. Before the Super Charger, I had to EQ the Arya in the 6-7khz range to calm the treble peak; otherwise they quickly became fatiguing. I can now listen to the Arya without EQ and not encounter any fatigue. The bass slam has also improved, but I am not certain if this is a result of smoothing out the treble.

I am curious to hear any feedback on using two Super Chargers to power the Composer 3XP and the Soloist 3XP as a stack. I used the Super Charger to power the Composer and the stock power supply with the Soloist (in Headphone Power Amp Mode) and I did not notice as much of an improvement as when used the Super Charger with the Soloist.

Nov 10, 2021 at 8:33 AM Post #1,808 of 3,132
20211110_142527~2.JPG

I use Ferrum Hypsos as power supply.

For I/V stage i use vivid 6 dual op-amps

For LP..i use Orange Dual Op-amps. Why do i prefer the Orange amps ones? because the music sounds more correct, natural and i can listen for hours with engangement and little fatigue.

Burson Solist 3x..requires 4 Orange Dual op-amps.

Attachments

• 20211110_143029~2.JPG
    20211110_143029~2.JPG
    484.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 10, 2021 at 10:09 AM Post #1,809 of 3,132
Using the Hugo2 / 2go as source&DAC , Soloist is on headphone power amp mode.
Seriously considering the supercharger 3a but also the classic op amps.

Would I need 4 and swap out the set, or just two because I'm bypassing the internal volume ?

Nov 11, 2021 at 1:41 AM Post #1,811 of 3,132
I am in need of a dac for my Soloist. I was considering the qutest but I prefer listening to the soloist in power amp mode. I would hate to purchase the qutest and not like the sound without power amp mode. I am considering the denafrips ares, adi dac 2,and the composer. If anyone could help steer me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. Pros and cons? Any suggestions for dac's are welcomed also.

Nov 11, 2021 at 2:17 AM Post #1,812 of 3,132
I am in need of a dac for my Soloist. I was considering the qutest but I prefer listening to the soloist in power amp mode. I would hate to purchase the qutest and not like the sound without power amp mode. I am considering the denafrips ares, adi dac 2,and the composer. If anyone could help steer me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. Pros and cons? Any suggestions for dac's are welcomed also.
I'm using the Hugo2/2go as streaming source and DAC, with the soloist in headphone PA mode. It's got the special sauce !

Would totally consider a ladder DAC on my main rig though so gonna watch this post 🙌🏻

Nov 11, 2021 at 2:20 AM Post #1,813 of 3,132
What's your max budget? Any specifics you are looking for? After a lot of research, I just purchased a Matrix Audio X-Sabre 3 DAC to use as a Roon endpoint with my Soloist 3xp and am very satisfied with it. That said, it is quite a bit costlier than those other DACs you mention.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2021 at 2:55 AM Post #1,814 of 3,132
What's your max budget? Any specifics you are looking for? After a lot of research, I just purchased a Matrix Audio X-Sabre 3 DAC to use as a Roon endpoint with my Soloist 3xp and am very satisfied with it. That said, it is quite a bit costlier than those other DACs you mention.
Max budget is about $1500.

Nov 11, 2021 at 3:18 AM Post #1,815 of 3,132
can confirm here on the supercharger, just got mine. it's not something you need to A/B to find imo, its immediately noticeable. this isnt a crazy upgrade but it has the amp sounding exactly how it should, versus before where there was something not quite right. gets rid of that "its a great amp, BUT..." part of the equation. should be something its packaged with tbh, but dont order one without the other imo if you can afford to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back