Burson Soloist 3X Performance Head/Pre Amp - 8Wpc XLR with MUSE72320 volume control
Oct 29, 2021 at 6:10 PM Post #1,786 of 3,139
Trigger warning - I'm gonna put out what I think is going to be an unpopular take but I'm doing this not to offend anyone, but to ask for advice.

I've just spent the last hour switching between my Soloist 3XP with supercharger and a regular old THX 789. Both are hooked up to a Denafrips Aries II. Started this experiment with Focal Clears then switched to Aryas which are known to be amp dependant.

I cannot hear a difference between the two amps - not in tonality, clarity, stage... Nada.

I'm wondering what I just spent three / four times the price of the thx for.

A couple of points. I assume I'm using the stock Op-Amps. I haven't opened it yet but will soon as I have a faulty select button in then soloist volume dial. Burson are sending me a replacement part. Will see how that goes.

Back to the main point/question, if there is a difference between the Soloist and the 789 I really seem to be missing it. Can anyone here who has compared both amps properly (i.e. using the same DAC and headphones) tell me what audible differences you've heard? Song references would be great so I can look out for them.

I was expecting a warm and engaging "class A" sound (whatever that means). As a further test I've hooked up the same DAC and headphones to my Tor Balanced... now that is a warm and engaging experience! Lush!!!

The soloist is my first class A solid state so I'd really like to understand what most people look for in these amps Vs a class D or other class (in addition to differences Vs the 789 from anyone who has run that test).

Thanks in advance
Listen to the 3xp exclusively for a week and then go back to the Thx789.
Also try 'headphone power amp mode' on the 3xp.

Nov 1, 2021 at 12:20 PM Post #1,787 of 3,139
Wow I didn't realize there was such a big difference between single ended and balanced on the Soloist! I just decided to try my stock cable for my lcd x and I had to crank the volume way up.

Nov 2, 2021 at 5:08 PM Post #1,788 of 3,139
Can anyone tell me what they thought after using the supercharger? Did you hear immediate changes within the sound? My supercharger reached me today and I got very little listening time in because I ha e to go to work but I immediately noticed a smoother presentation and better dynamics. I didn't have to turn the volume up as much it seems. So far so good in the short amount of time I have been able to listen.

Nov 2, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #1,789 of 3,139
Can anyone tell me what they thought after using the supercharger? Did you hear immediate changes within the sound? My supercharger reached me today and I got very little listening time in because I ha e to go to work but I immediately noticed a smoother presentation and better dynamics. I didn't have to turn the volume up as much it seems. So far so good in the short amount of time I have been able to listen.
If you use the search function you can find several impressions about the Super Charger in this thread.

Nov 2, 2021 at 6:48 PM Post #1,790 of 3,139
Immediate improvements to me were tighter bass, increase in gain and blacker background which in my opinion gave me a bigger sense in soundstage.

Nov 2, 2021 at 7:10 PM Post #1,791 of 3,139
Immediate improvements to me were tighter bass, increase in gain and blacker background which in my opinion gave me a bigger sense in soundstage.
I got very little time with the supercharger before I had to go to work. It seems like everytime I get something new, work causes me to delay a proper listening session! Lol. I definitely noticed the gain, dynamics, and a smoother presentation. I only listened to some of the newest Tool album so tomorrow I will have to try some different genres to see if I can pick up any more changes. So far so good. I have to say I honestly was expecting to have to strain or convince myself of the impact it would have but it is clear from the get go that there are some good changes to the sound of the soloist.

Nov 3, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #1,792 of 3,139
I had some questions about the headphone amp power mode and whether a topping A90 would be suitable to use as a preamp, I guess more so about how preamps would affect the sound. I don't know why knowledge in this topic of preamps and sound coloration is very hard to find, but would an A90 color/hinder the sound in preamp mode? I know some preamps go for thousands but a lot of people just say it's for the amount of ins/outs and quality of life features, but I've seen ones with tubes and everything so that's likely not true. Also would there be an inherent downside with using amps in preamp mode? Seems kind ludicrous the pre90 is twice the price of the A90 if not.

I guess my main question also comes down to whether it's worth using this setup or just going straight from the DAC into the soloist 3x.

Nov 7, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #1,793 of 3,139
Nov 7, 2021 at 9:21 PM Post #1,795 of 3,139
Is there a comparison between non-supercharger vs supercharger for a relative comparison?
1636338081954.png

Nov 7, 2021 at 9:56 PM Post #1,796 of 3,139
Put my order in for the supercharger.. Hope it's a worthy upgrade!

Nov 7, 2021 at 11:33 PM Post #1,797 of 3,139
It is. I heard an immediate difference. Blacker background, tighter bass, more dynamics and an overall smoother presentation. I'm not just trying to hype up a product I bought either. Let us know what you think after you get the supercharger in.

Nov 7, 2021 at 11:35 PM Post #1,798 of 3,139
In my experience with qutest, soloist and verite closed, it was very much worthy upgrade. Incremental upgrade but noticeable. If you like open sound, great soundstage and Instrument separation with great micro details, Changing xlr or RCA interconnect to Pure Silver will even give you more noticeable sound upgrade in aforementioned areas. Changing from copper or Silver plated copper headphone cable to pure silver does the same thing. Ofcourse provided if you dont have bright headphones, dac or amp already in your system set up.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2021 at 11:41 PM Post #1,799 of 3,139
It is, you won't regret the purchase especially if you are treble sensitive person.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back