Burson Soloist 3X Performance Head/Pre Amp - 8Wpc XLR with MUSE72320 volume control
Apr 9, 2024 at 2:46 AM Post #3,106 of 3,128
Nah. Save up for the Gustard x26pro or the A26.

I have had the Soloist paired with the Ares2 for a month.
The Ares 2 is good for classical and acoustic and average for rock, pop and electronics.
The soundstage is great as it has good width, depth, and layering. The vocals and timbre are great. The issue is that background instruments are soft, and diffused.
Ares 2 is average for bass as well.
TerrorSandmann stated a while back R2R dacs might not be the best pairing for the Soloist.
I am on the lookout for a Gustard for an upgrade.
I can't find that reference, do you think the A26 would fit better than the R26?

Apr 9, 2024 at 10:56 AM Post #3,108 of 3,128
What do you thing about the Gustard R26, would it be a good fit for the 3XP in Power Amp mode?
R2R with the Soloist is an excellent choice. I ran the Soloist with a Pegasus in power amp mode, using the Goldpoint passive preamp to control volume.

You can't beat Gustard R26 in terms of price to features. 1 bit DAC for DSD, built in streamer, volume control, and if you care MQA. From the reviews it punches above it's price point in terms of sound.

Apr 9, 2024 at 11:30 PM Post #3,109 of 3,128
Hi all, question regarding an issue I’m having with the soloist 3xgt. Recently, in the right channel when listening through the xlr headphone out, I hear like a static like noise that varies with amplitude louder and quieter. Tried various headphones and cables, didn’t make a difference. Tried with different stock power cable vs supercharger 5a , different outlets, also without any source connected.

The issue comes and goes, and is only noticeable on one channel. I swapped opamps from left to right and vice versa and then the issue appeared on the left channel. I’m assuming the issue is with one of the opamps on the left channel then. They are the stock v6 vivids. I’ve never touched them before this issue.

I’m assuming a simple opamp exchange would help this issue, but the last time I opened it up to swap the opamps, I found 2 little round metal pieces, one side flat and one side with a divot. I’ve attached photos. I don’t see any damage visible anywhere, they look like cutouts from the casing.

My question is do I request replacement opamps or send the unit for repair (obviously like to avoid as need to ship from Canada and then 3 week turnaround time)

Thanks for your input

Attachments

• IMG_0228.jpeg
    IMG_0228.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0229.jpeg
    IMG_0229.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Apr 10, 2024 at 1:32 AM Post #3,110 of 3,128
Hi all, question regarding an issue I’m having with the soloist 3xgt. Recently, in the right channel when listening through the xlr headphone out, I hear like a static like noise that varies with amplitude louder and quieter. Tried various headphones and cables, didn’t make a difference. Tried with different stock power cable vs supercharger 5a , different outlets, also without any source connected.

The issue comes and goes, and is only noticeable on one channel. I swapped opamps from left to right and vice versa and then the issue appeared on the left channel. I’m assuming the issue is with one of the opamps on the left channel then. They are the stock v6 vivids. I’ve never touched them before this issue.

I’m assuming a simple opamp exchange would help this issue, but the last time I opened it up to swap the opamps, I found 2 little round metal pieces, one side flat and one side with a divot. I’ve attached photos. I don’t see any damage visible anywhere, they look like cutouts from the casing.

My question is do I request replacement opamps or send the unit for repair (obviously like to avoid as need to ship from Canada and then 3 week turnaround time)

Thanks for your input

opamps have lifetime warranty FROM Burson, ask for replacements

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2024 at 7:39 AM Post #3,111 of 3,128
opamps have lifetime warranty FROM Burson, ask for replacements
Now is a good time to consider to upgrade to the V7s - but agree Burson should replace— also you should’ve received in your original packaging a small plastic box with six tiny op amps in it. These are test opamps and can be inserted into the same receptacles that your V6s fit, you can use them to test to see which op amp is the bad one.

Apr 10, 2024 at 7:45 AM Post #3,112 of 3,128
Does anyone have pics of the 3XP with Sparkos SS3602 in the volume control stage?
I want to make sure I get the pin 1 orientation correct!

Apr 11, 2024 at 1:36 AM Post #3,114 of 3,128
y
Does anyone have pics of the 3XP with Sparkos SS3602 in the volume control stage?
I want to make sure I get the pin 1 orientation correct!
you can check the passion for sound op-amp video, he has some shoots there

Apr 11, 2024 at 1:39 AM Post #3,115 of 3,128
[Having a few days on the 3xp I can see alittle better what's going on. What this amp lacks in absolute detail retrieval and sound stage ( still large) it makes up with its amazing ability to separate individual instruments into their own 3d space, really unlike anything I've heard in a solid state amp. Really organic sounding and clear. Drives my Ca1a, Ed5, Susvara beautifully. Still Volot rules the day with Susvara with better resolution, stage size and power but this 3xp is something special as well imo
The supercharger will make it more detailed but also more smooth, but be careful, some headphones are more detailed /sound better in poweramp mode but others are MUCH better in normal mode, like AD2000 or AD2000X( when you use it with the poweramp mode they lack a lot of the resolution , clarity and detail of the normal mode)

:)

Apr 11, 2024 at 7:44 AM Post #3,116 of 3,128
I posted the below over on the Susvara thread at the request of a user there and then got crickets in response - so reposting here fwiw. Hope it helps somebody.

Ok so I have done as I promised and conducted A/B comparison for Burson 3xGT with V6 vs V7 Vivid op amps. I replaced all 6 op amps - volume and gain stage. Note that given the nature of the comparison and that I only have 1 3XGT, I made notes while listening rather than rapid back to back A/B. If you want that you’ll need to recruit someone with 2 units and a switch box. I used no EQ.

Chain is Roon (dedicated MacBook server- I recognize this is suboptimal but as it’s what I’ve been using with the V6s I kept it the same for V7s) ->Sonore Optical Rendu-> Yggdrasil OG-> 3XGt 2023 with SpO2 power modules. Tracks are Fruhlingsgefuhle by Melokind, Magnetar by Mark Lettieri, Beldiya by Triplego, Drover by Bill Callahan, Twice by Ludovici Einaudi (Reimagined by Mercan Dede). Susvaras are with OG Stock pads and cables (XLR)

On V6 I hear both good quality (texture) and quantity in the bass, with good attack and just right decay. Bass does not bleed into mids. Mids are quite forward though lower mids a bit less than upper. Treble is good, snappy, not sibliant and well extended. Soundstage was outside the head and instrument separation still good but not pinpoint. Head stage is perceptible about 2-3’ outside the head wider than deep- sometimes there is an echo that extends further into the distance. Detail retrieval is good - on the Melokind track I can hear some details high up in the treble register. Dynamic swings are good but not impressive- little sense of ‘blackground’

With V7 installed, FR is quite similar, but timbre is better- more realistic. Stage size and image precision and separation are all bigger/ better. Stage depth improves with images more widely separated in it. Images are more pinpoint and clearly defined with respect to each other. bass is impactful well textured, but the decay structure is even more believable. There is more ‘blackground’. Dynamic swings are bigger, especially noticeable above 70 dB.

I have to say, HD6XX and Arya were MORE elevated than Sus in all these regards. On HD6XX with V7, dynamic drivers LIT UP the bass - I think the V7s maybe are particularly good for DD headphones, I could feel the drivers moving. On Arya I was also hearing a lot more subtle details high in the treble register and imaging improved a LOT- really across the FR but most noticeably up there.

I did not notice these differences as much with Sus- they are still there but Sus is already so good- it more narrowed the difference between them and the lower tier HPs

Conclusion: The V7s are a worthy upgrade for the 3XGT. They elevate mid-fi HPs VERY MUCH in terms of dynamics and especially staging. For Susvara the improvements are there but more subtle. You can only polish a diamond so much- at least with this tool. A more powerful one may be needed. V6s are already doing a very good job with it.

At the end of the trials I am left still feeling ‘there is more’ for the Susvaras- especially in terms of stage improvements- yet I wonder if I will not have to invest MUCH more to squeeze that out.

Question (tube-amp lovers pls hold back here, I know what you’d do with it 😉) : where would you go next with the 3XGT and Susvaras?
A) use 3XGT as a pre-amp out into a solid state speaker amp (with the risks and benefits that entails) and attach Sus to the speaker posts via spades or an adapter box vs
B) use the 3XGT “headphone + sub out” feature to add a sub- other Sus users have reported positive experiences ie @Pashmeister with the KC62
C) Or???

Apr 14, 2024 at 3:06 AM Post #3,117 of 3,128
The supercharger will make it more detailed but also more smooth, but be careful, some headphones are more detailed /sound better in poweramp mode but others are MUCH better in normal mode, like AD2000 or AD2000X( when you use it with the poweramp mode they lack a lot of the resolution , clarity and detail of the normal mode)

:)
What do you think when it comes to Hifiman Arya Stealth when it comes to poweramp vs normal mode? I'm thinking of getting a preamp just to try this.

Apr 14, 2024 at 2:49 PM Post #3,119 of 3,128
What do you think when it comes to Hifiman Arya Stealth when it comes to poweramp vs normal mode? I'm thinking of getting a preamp just to try this.
I had this combo along with a D70 Pro Octo for dac. I much prefer poweramp mode for most Hifiman headphones (including Arya Stealth). Normal mode gives a somewhat v shaped signature and with Aryas already boosted treble and slightly pulled back mids it sounded a bit wonky to me. Poweramp mode sounded great. Similar, but with a more natural and neutral midrange. Susvara is the only headphone I preferred on normal mode. It is very mid-centric and the v shaped sound was somewhat complimentary.

Apr 18, 2024 at 9:01 PM Post #3,120 of 3,128
Received my supercharger for my 3xp I'll admit so far in the minority, for my headphones music is much crisper without it and isn't near as forward.. maybe it needs to break in or there is something going on with its impedance pushing the sound Forward.. sounding very "forward" for lack of a better definition.. especially with my Ca1a and it's Ti-1b trodial convertor box maybe something to do with dampening who knows but so far things sound less stressed more fluid without the supercharger.

Not totally surprised as I had a similar experience with the ifi supercharger and sent it back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back