Burson Soloist 3X Performance Head/Pre Amp - 8Wpc XLR with MUSE72320 volume control
Mar 31, 2024 at 7:33 AM Post #3,091 of 3,128
Hi new owner here, should have a open box 3xp delivered Tuesday from headphones.com to good of a deal to pass up!

Just ordered this beast after selling my secondary system amp which was running my Raal CA-1A, a Kinki Studio Thr-1 can't wait to hear if it can run it as well as the Kinki did, as well as seeing if it'll run my Susvara, but I already have a amp for that, Volot.

I was looking at the superchargers and noticed both 5a and 3a are compatible just curious what the difference would be running it underpowered with the 3a a lower noise floor than the 5a? Thanks and can't wait to hear this beast
Check with Burson first before going with the 5A supercharger for 3XP- I don’t think they recommend doing this and it could void your warranty. Good to check.

I never found the 3A supercharger to be in any way deficient. There are lots of other ways to optimize your 3XP than using the 5A which are Burson approved, like op amp rolling and using the 3XP as a poweramp (running a preamp into it, bypassing the 3XP’s volume stage).

It’s a great amp and it will run Susvaras fine. It’s a great ‘gateway drug’ into the Burson system, and can itself also be used as a pre-amp. In the end I returned mine and upgraded to a 3XGT 2023, which does use the 5A and has lots of upgrade options, ie power modules as well as op amps. But the 3XP is a fine amp and now I wish I’d kept it.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2024 at 10:42 AM Post #3,092 of 3,128
Hi new owner here, should have a open box 3xp delivered Tuesday from headphones.com to good of a deal to pass up!

Just ordered this beast after selling my secondary system amp which was running my Raal CA-1A, a Kinki Studio Thr-1 can't wait to hear if it can run it as well as the Kinki did, as well as seeing if it'll run my Susvara, but I already have a amp for that, Volot.

I was looking at the superchargers and noticed both 5a and 3a are compatible just curious what the difference would be running it underpowered with the 3a a lower noise floor than the 5a? Thanks and can't wait to hear this beast
Nice! I went the other way, from the Burson to the Kinki. They traded blows like crazy. What I missed from the Burson with the Kinki was a sense of tactility and physicality in the sound. But switching to the Kinki I got a much wider stage, and deeper bass, just with less definition and imaging specificity. I bet you’ll like it. I still haven’t heard another amp that does quite what it does.

Mar 31, 2024 at 2:13 PM Post #3,093 of 3,128
Nice! I went the other way, from the Burson to the Kinki. They traded blows like crazy. What I missed from the Burson with the Kinki was a sense of tactility and physicality in the sound. But switching to the Kinki I got a much wider stage, and deeper bass, just with less definition and imaging specificity. I bet you’ll like it. I still haven’t heard another amp that does quite what it does.
Yes Thr1 is a very special amp, I wouldn't have sold it but needed something that might flesh out the mids on my ed5 and took a gamble on the 3x as it should be able to, much like the thr1 drive my Susvara and Ca1a of which it really paired well with Susvara imo but I have Volot and its place as my main amp is sealed until I get a raise and can afford a ef1000 😆.

Apr 2, 2024 at 5:30 PM Post #3,095 of 3,128
Received my open box 3xp from headphones.com IMG_20240402_162920972.jpgand not sure what these are?

Apr 2, 2024 at 8:04 PM Post #3,098 of 3,128
Haa yes, posted too soon I see they are op amps for warranty. What a great sounding amp drives my CA-1A brilliantly imo in Poweramp mode. Maybe the most holographic ss amp I've heard
Yes, this is still an amp I use at my office at work along with my RS6 DAP. When I got the Bliss, I thought about selling it. I just couldn't part with it, so I put it to my desk at work.

I plan on purchasing the V7s, but that will have to wait a bit as ZMF is releasing the Caldera Closed soon.

Apr 4, 2024 at 6:37 PM Post #3,101 of 3,128
[Having a few days on the 3xp I can see alittle better what's going on. What this amp lacks in absolute detail retrieval and sound stage ( still large) it makes up with its amazing ability to separate individual instruments into their own 3d space, really unlike anything I've heard in a solid state amp. Really organic sounding and clear. Drives my Ca1a, Ed5, Susvara beautifully. Still Volot rules the day with Susvara with better resolution, stage size and power but this 3xp is something special as well imo

Apr 4, 2024 at 10:07 PM Post #3,102 of 3,128
The difference between poweramp and regular is pretty impressive and imo puts 3x up a level. Interested to see if adding the supercharger will help or crush the dynamics as Ive experienced with other aftermarket power supplies
I agree completely. Power amp fed by Ares II sounds great to me but the only headphone in my possession that can handle the 4v from ares into power amp in low gain is HE6v2 😂. I need a r2r dac with volume control….

Apr 4, 2024 at 10:23 PM Post #3,103 of 3,128
I agree completely. Power amp fed by Ares II sounds great to me but the only headphone in my possession that can handle the 4v from ares into power amp in low gain is HE6v2 😂. I need a r2r dac with volume control….
Haa I feel you my friend, my M2Tech Young Mkiv puts out either 5v or 12 volts balanced

Which was great when I had the Young Mkiii version paired with a Taurus, I had just bought my Susvara and after hearing how the Taurus was "under powering them" I was left scratching my head as i had all twelve volts blooming melody's through its veins sounding just fine 😆

Apr 4, 2024 at 10:32 PM Post #3,104 of 3,128
Forgot to mention in the prior post that from what I’ve read/seen, the super charger supposedly refines the upper frequencies. Didn't validate myself as I’ve been inly using the supercharger but there appeared to be a consensus on how the supercharger improved the soloist sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back