Burson Soloist 3X Performance Head/Pre Amp - 8Wpc XLR with MUSE72320 volume control
Jan 16, 2024 at 9:18 PM Post #3,076 of 3,128
I tried a pair of E3’s, unplugged so as to not walk out feeling sad lol.

They are very light indeed. As I said I’m new to the higher end of this, but compared to my Arya Stealths they were weightless, equal to the Nightowls

I don’t have the HD800’s, so wouldn’t know if the 3xGT could tame them, I would guess so a little?? It might be defeating the object a little, but adjusting the crossover obviously closes the sound stage and from what I heard brought down the highs a little.
3XGT…it’s all that. Eventually though, you will start to wonder about those pre-outs- what could I drive with those? Could the SQ be even better?. Also, the LR balance only operates for the pre-outs. Active speakers? Speaker amp(s)? Teaser: https://forum.headphones.com/t/benc...-your-headphone-and-a-guide-walkthrough/16226

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2024 at 9:51 AM Post #3,077 of 3,128
3XGT…it’s all that. Eventually though, you will start to wonder about those pre-outs- what could I drive with those? Could the SQ be even better?. Also, the LR balance only operates for the pre-outs. Active speakers? Speaker amp(s)? Teaser: https://forum.headphones.com/t/benc...-your-headphone-and-a-guide-walkthrough/16226
Haha. No chance yet as I don’t have a spare inch to put anything. But if I get approval for our outdoor craft room/office/media room (listed in order of space allocation as the wife has told me), then I’ll be at that stage.

Feb 1, 2024 at 2:38 PM Post #3,078 of 3,128
I know this was talked about before, but running the Burson in power-amp mode and pre-amping it with a tube amp is sublime. I don't know why I didn't think about doing this until now. The increase in soundstage is ridiculous. The sound is big and yet intimate. I highly recommend trying it out if you have a tube amp with a pre-out.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2024 at 2:49 PM Post #3,079 of 3,128
I know this was talked about before, but running the Burson in power-amp mode and pre-amping it with a tube amp is sublime. I don't know why I didn't think about doing this until now. The increase in soudstage ridiculous. The sound is big and yet intimate. I highly recommend trying it if you have a tube amp with a pre-out.
I wish the 3XGT had retained power- amp mode but Burson have assured us that the volume chip is transparent enough that one can use a tube amp with a pre-out with 3XGT also, even though it has no power amp mode. I plan to try this with Schiit Freya+ with upgraded NOS tubes, and hope to hear a similar SQ as you describe. My sources suggest in this situation to set the tube amp pre-out volume to about 50% and the 3XGT to 0 volume and gradually increase to appropriate listening levels. There are 3 gain levels on the 3XGT so I will experiment to see which sounds best.

What tube amp did you use for the setup you decribed?

Feb 1, 2024 at 3:05 PM Post #3,080 of 3,128
What tube amp did you use for the setup you decribed?
I'm using the Decware CSP2 with Sophia 274B and 6N23P tubes. This combination already provides nice holographic sounds. Combine that with the 3 XP's power-amp mode takes it to a whole new level I haven't heard before. I was actually thinking about possibly trying out the GSX-mini since, stock-to-stock, the GSX-mini is supposed to provide a wider soundstage with more depth and warmth. However, after trying out this combo, I don't think I'll be looking for another amp for foreseeable future. :)

If I do upgrade, it will most likely be the 3X GT. Do you have the latest 2023 GT?

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2024 at 5:11 PM Post #3,081 of 3,128
I'm using the Decware CSP2 with Sophia 274B and 6N23P tubes. This combination already provides nice holographic sounds. Combine that with the 3 XP's power-amp mode takes it to a whole new level I haven't heard before. I was actually thinking about possibly trying out the GSX-mini since, stock-to-stock, the GSX-mini is supposed to provide a wider soundstage with more depth and warmth. However, after trying out this combo, I don't think I'll be looking for another amp for foreseeable future. :)

If I do upgrade, it will most likely be the 3 XP GT. Do you have the latest 2023 GT?
Yes- I will report back here after I have some user impressions. I haven’t got the Freya yet.

Feb 28, 2024 at 9:16 AM Post #3,083 of 3,128
Feb 28, 2024 at 9:31 AM Post #3,084 of 3,128
My unit sometimes switches back to XLR input even though I run it in RCA at the moment. Anyone else have it change inputs?

I used to have a SMSL SU-9N DAC and when I pressed mute on the SMSL's remote it would also switch my Burson from XLR to RCA.

It took me ages to work out why I wasn't getting any sound output 😂

Feb 28, 2024 at 9:41 AM Post #3,085 of 3,128
V7 op amps out and available for rolling. No impressions /reviews out yet. $430 USD for a full set of 6 for the 3XGT- I will probably wait for some impressions before jumping. It won’t break the bank but need to spend the dough I have on above-mentioned Freya and tubes. https://bursonaudio.us19.list-manag...aa5ca752488f3c8b08&id=45d97d8d68&e=ffc19e384a
Very tempted. But might wait for reviews too. Might get the super charger instead for now
I used to have a SMSL SU-9N DAC and when I pressed mute on the SMSL's remote it would also switch my Burson from XLR to RCA.

It took me ages to work out why I wasn't getting any sound output 😂
Yeah my SMSL d1se remote changes the input of the amp too.

Mar 31, 2024 at 12:07 AM Post #3,088 of 3,128
Hi new owner here, should have a open box 3xp delivered Tuesday from headphones.com to good of a deal to pass up!

Just ordered this beast after selling my secondary system amp which was running my Raal CA-1A, a Kinki Studio Thr-1 can't wait to hear if it can run it as well as the Kinki did, as well as seeing if it'll run my Susvara, but I already have a amp for that, Volot.

I was looking at the superchargers and noticed both 5a and 3a are compatible just curious what the difference would be running it underpowered with the 3a a lower noise floor than the 5a? Thanks and can't wait to hear this beast

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2024 at 12:41 AM Post #3,089 of 3,128
Hi new owner here, should have a open box 3xp delivered Tuesday from headphones.com to good of a deal to pass up!

Just ordered this beast after selling my secondary system amp which was running my Raal CA-1A, a Kinki Studio Thr-1 can't wait to hear if it can run it as well as the Kinki did, as well as seeing if it'll run my Susvara, but I already have a amp for that, Volot.

I was looking at the superchargers and noticed both 5a and 3a are compatible just curious what the difference would be running it underpowered with the 3a a lower noise floor than the 5a? Thanks and can't wait to hear this beast
You would not be running under powered with the 3a. The 3a was made for the 3XP and other Burson devices out at the time.

The 5a was made specifically for the 3X GT when it was released a couple of years after the 3XP.

Mar 31, 2024 at 5:28 AM Post #3,090 of 3,128

For the extra 100 USD, 5A is a no-brainer to me. Going back to 2019 when I got the 3 Reference, I would grab a 5A if I could. The more powerful version covers both amp categories (just in case you get an "itch"!), but also for drivability reasons. Less fatigue (some Superchargers do fail) and there's a chance that the headroom might be beneficial for the 3XP too. You may experience slightly better sonic performance because of the extra current on tap. I never tried 5A on a 3A Burson amp so I don't know. Just saying. I've seen manufacturers recommending more amps than the rated for their devices for reliability (fuses) and for performance (Linear PSUs). I think it is a wise choice to go a step higher in that regard, when the cost isn't prohibitive of course.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back