Burson HA160D or wait for Violectric V282 (balanced amp)
Jan 13, 2011 at 10:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

WindyCityCy

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a 2nd rig (my first is a Woo WA22 with w4s DAC).  Current headphones are HD800 and D7000 both balanced and planning on getting LCD2 with balanced cable.  I like the fact that the Burson has a built in DAC that is supposedly pretty good but I do have a modded PS Audio DL3 that I could use if I go the Violectric route.  In either case the source will probably be a Squeezebox Touch.

Looking for some guidance from people who might have experience with Violectric amps and/or the Burson HA160D.

What would be pluses and minuses of choosing each amp.

Jan 19, 2011 at 9:38 AM Post #2 of 2
The Burson is a full discrete design off two discrete PSU's, a high grade stepped volume attenuator and a 24/96 USB input. The Violetric's are often using good ole' 5532 IC opamps designs off a cheap ALPS pot...completely different animals. Whether the hypothetical SQ improvement due to the balanced connection would overcome those 2 points is up for debate...get both and send back the one you like the least?

PS: that's the V181: http://www.trinaural.de/vb3/showthread.php?t=2523

cheapo ALPS pot(stereo imbalance FTW), old 16/48 USB chip, 5532 dual opamps...Violetric are living in the past IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back