Burson HA-160D Impressions from the Burson Loaner Program at Headfonia
Feb 2, 2012 at 5:37 AM Post #182 of 191
I use the Burson as a reference DAC and reference desktop amp.  Everything about the sound screams precision.  It keeps the music together better than any of my other gear.  I haven't delved into more expensive amps, but it is far and away the most impressive piece of gear I own.  

I use it to drive my Sennheiser 650s direct, my Woo WA6, and my Genelec 8040s through a CleanBox Pro.  My old rig (not really that old!) was an Apogee Duet, which struggles with echoes and transients.  The Burson is clean and spacious.  It's not even a contest.  The Apogee D/As, which make a lot of today's modern music, pale by comparison.

The solid state amp took the doors off the Woo WA6 with a standard tube set.  Once I put the Princess tube in, it became a closer match with the Burson still in the lead.  Subbing a GZ34 tube and they're virtually neck and neck (though the GZ34 still needs burn in time).  I doubt I could tell which is which in a blind taste test.  It's splitting hairs.  The bass sounds slightly cleaner on the Burson, which I tend to like.  But honestly, when you get to this level of performance, there's no right answer, it comes down to preference.  

The point being-- the Burson is dang-good.  The pre-amp is the best I've heard.  I could easily get by with just this box and be perfectly happy, but I love playing with the Woo.  Once the honeymoon fades, I could see myself selling the Woo down the road.  I'll be spending money on a pair of LCD-2s or Sennie 800s before I bother with the signal again.  If I were building a rig from scratch-- the Burson would be at the top of my shopping list.

Feb 6, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #183 of 191
Is there a new loaner program? anyone can confirm this? 

Feb 7, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #185 of 191

Quote:
Not on Headfonia that I could see on their site, maybe one directly from Burson? Have you mailed them?

Right, i saw something on their Fb page. This time is not with headfonia. 

Feb 20, 2012 at 1:33 PM Post #186 of 191

Quote:
Right, i saw something on their Fb page. This time is not with headfonia. 

Probably fabio is talking about the new loaner program with Audeze. They announced last week that they are running a new loaner program where people from Europe will have the chance to try the 160D+LCD-2 combo for a few days.
Registration ends on feb 28th, link here:
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/burson8/1.html

Jun 10, 2022 at 4:34 PM Post #189 of 191
i just bought a ha 160 and with my hd 650 the static noise when the volume changes is unbearable, are there any remedies so far?
I still think it's scandalous as a thing.

Jun 11, 2022 at 10:20 PM Post #190 of 191
i just bought a ha 160 and with my hd 650 the static noise when the volume changes is unbearable, are there any remedies so far?
I still think it's scandalous as a thing.
Open up the case and clean the vol pot with contact cleaner. Rotate the pot through it's full range of travel several times to clean the pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back