Burson Conductor - DAC/amp successor to the HA-160D
Aug 29, 2014 at 4:28 AM Post #1,831 of 1,995
It depends... In some cases Class A equipment runs pretty hot and the capacitors should cool down once in a while. But the Conductor isn't that hot so it's ok to leave it on all the time. Burson confirmed this to me.

Aug 29, 2014 at 9:52 AM Post #1,832 of 1,995
I leave my Burson on for a period of three day's and nights. Then let it rest until it cools back down. We began to leave it on all the time because of past driver issue's but these should have been fixed by now. I run a ceiling fan constantly and the enclosure is only slightly warm to the touch. I believe everything needs to rest occasionally and once I even smelled an odor of hot electronics. So maybe use the touch method as it should not be hot but rather warm. Maybe it's placebo but when hot the bass seemed to sound off or more wooly to me.

All this being said I agree with the above posters that it does not hurt to leave it on all the time.

Just my two cents.

Aug 29, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #1,833 of 1,995
I do turn my Conductor off once in a while, mainly when I'm not going to be around for a while or I'm leaving for vacation, etc. That's probably the old safety engineer in me just wanting to be extra careful! However, I've never heard any difference in temp or SQ if the amp has been on a long time. 

My biggest issue these days is that I now use a Bakoon HPA-21 as my HP amplifier, and it runs on batteries that only charge when you turn it off. It's an awesome amp, and per my earlier posts beats the amp section in the Conductor, but it has taken a while to get used to turning it off versus leaving the Burson on all the time. 

Thx

Sep 19, 2014 at 1:54 AM Post #1,835 of 1,995
Got a USB OTG adapter cable for my Tab S 10.5 the other day and thought I would see if it worked with the Conductor (with Tenor) and to my surprise it worked first go. No setup is required at all, just plug it straight into the USB on the Conductor and it works with any app (on KitKat 4.4.2). I have been playing FLACS and they sound the same as they did from on my desktop PC.

Sep 19, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #1,836 of 1,995
Can someone post pictures of the markings on the USB cable that was supplied with their Burson amp? Want to see who makes it for Burson.

Thank you.  

PS. If you want to sell your original Burson USB cable, I want to buy it. 

Sep 25, 2014 at 8:13 AM Post #1,837 of 1,995
I have now used the Conductor for a couple of weeks.

Something that irritates me is that I often get static noise from time to time whenever I start to play music after having paused it for a while. Does anyone know why this keeps happening?

Then there is this clicking noise when you raise the volume Is this a driver problem?

Sep 25, 2014 at 8:56 AM Post #1,838 of 1,995
  I have now used the Conductor for a couple of weeks.

Something that irritates me is that I often get static noise from time to time whenever I start to play music after having paused it for a while. Does anyone know why this keeps happening?

Then there is this clicking noise when you raise the volume Is this a driver problem?

i had the same clicking popping with my Conductor that comes from your volume attenuator i asked Burson about this once and they told me to spray WD 40 it worked for a bit but is not a permanent fix it always come back but that involve removing it from amp and unscrew 2 nuts slightly and spraying inside but theres no room to do this and what had to happen happened my screwdriver slipped and i broke off one side of a resistor because of lack of space to work after that i changed to a khozmo 50k attenuator  and it still pops slightly ask about it to  the tech he told me its gear related because it was silent when they tried it .So theres suppose to be some silent attenuator according to rumours out there lol  but you gotta find them i heard of goldpoint possibly are silent  .                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  And about the static i dont have this problem i use tube amps with Conductors dac and i keep wireless phones somewhere else because of interference, maybe use another ac outlet and see if it still happens.or maybe its gear related Maybe others can chime in also

Sep 25, 2014 at 9:04 AM Post #1,839 of 1,995
Sioban - Welcome to the Conductor club! Regarding your two issues. First the clicking when you change volume is most likely just the type of volume control they used, which is a stepped attenuator and has definite "clicks' between settings. This is 'normal' for Conductors. Second the issue with the static, this doesn't sound normal. My guess would be to make sure you are using the correct driver in your computer for the Conductor. Go through and make sure you installed the correct driver for the version of the USB card in your Conductor. For example when I switched from the Tenor card to the CM6631A card and had not yet installed the new driver I had some static/resolution type of issues. If this doesn't work then reach out to Burson. Good luck! mscott58

Sep 27, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #1,842 of 1,995
Sep 28, 2014 at 2:14 AM Post #1,843 of 1,995
Well, i contacted them and told me they are in the middle of a hosting switch. Things should be back to normal this week..

Sep 29, 2014 at 2:25 AM Post #1,844 of 1,995
I've been running the Conductor + the. HD800, for the better part of an year now, so I know what it can do...or at least I thought so until last night :)
I'm using it through a Macbook Air with Amarra playing flac's through the USB conection and the sound is Ok - a bit grainy, the soundstage is smaller than I expected and the bass is limited. So for an year I thought - Ok the HD800 is a bit overrated. But last night I did some moving and connected the Conductor to the PS3 through the optical cable, to play Watch Dogs, and it sounded amazing, so naturally the next step I took was to listen to my music through the PS3 and it was everything that was missing from the USB connection. The grainyness was gone, the bass became quick and powerfull and the soundstage is ethereal to say the least. So I suggest you guys to try the Conductor through the optical connection as it bypasses the USB Tenor.

Sep 29, 2014 at 3:46 AM Post #1,845 of 1,995
I've been running the Conductor + the. HD800, for the better part of an year now, so I know what it can do...or at least I thought so until last night :)
I'm using it through a Macbook Air with Amarra playing flac's through the USB conection and the sound is Ok - a bit grainy, the soundstage is smaller than I expected and the bass is limited. So for an year I thought - Ok the HD800 is a bit overrated. But last night I did some moving and connected the Conductor to the PS3 through the optical cable, to play Watch Dogs, and it sounded amazing, so naturally the next step I took was to listen to my music through the PS3 and it was everything that was missing from the USB connection. The grainyness was gone, the bass became quick and powerfull and the soundstage is ethereal to say the least. So I suggest you guys to try the Conductor through the optical connection as it bypasses the USB Tenor.

The same and more applies to an USB interface like the HYDRA :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back