Burson Conductor - DAC/amp successor to the HA-160D
Mar 21, 2014 at 8:02 AM Post #1,576 of 1,995
Hmm, DarKu is there something you're not telling us? :) Are you considering an upgrade? :p

Mar 25, 2014 at 8:42 AM Post #1,578 of 1,995
Hey RubyTiger,
Thanks for your photo!
Indeed looks as good as the stock one, I mean the workmanship is top notch.

@citraian
Now half of me tells to stay with the stock one as it sounds really good, and other dirtier half of me says: UPGRADE NOW! Wife will not notice anything! DO EEEEET NOW!
beyersmile.png

Mar 25, 2014 at 9:03 AM Post #1,579 of 1,995
  Hey RubyTiger,
Thanks for your photo!
Indeed looks as good as the stock one, I mean the workmanship is top notch.

@citraian
Now half of me tells to stay with the stock one as it sounds really good, and other dirtier half of me says: UPGRADE NOW! Wife will not notice anything! DO EEEEET NOW!
beyersmile.png

Mar 25, 2014 at 9:21 AM Post #1,580 of 1,995
Mar 25, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #1,581 of 1,995
Mar 25, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #1,583 of 1,995

Yeah, that little fella "sings" to me every day......and night aaaand it doesn't matter if I want that or not
biggrin.gif

I know :p
So why the hell are you looking for an upgrade? :))
It's not like you have the time and place to listen to it anyway :)

Mar 25, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #1,585 of 1,995
  I know :p
So why the hell are you looking for an upgrade? :))
It's not like you have the time and place to listen to it anyway :)

SANITY !

Mar 25, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #1,586 of 1,995
Hi all!

I've been thinking about getting the Conductor SL 9018 (I don't need a preamp) and Sennheiser HD800. I've been looking for an ultimate solid-state DAC/AMP that has great synergy with HD800. I'm not interested in tube amps. Vioelectric V200 + V800 is another contender but I like the all-in-one package Conductor offers and it's way cheaper. Also, no need for an interconnect cable and Conductor would match nicely with the looks of HD800 and my MacBook Pro. Contender looks better than most of the AMPs and DACs I've seen so far, actually!

I was almost ready to make an order but then I read this thread. There seems to be some problems with the USB interface of Conductor. I have absolutely no interest to buy Audiobyte Hydra-X which has been mentioned here - Conductor + HD800 costs enough already and it seems insane that a DAC/AMP this expensive has a problem like this.

Is the default USB interface really THAT bad? Could I avoid the problem by hooking my MacBook Pro via optical into the Conductor? Late 2013 MacBook Pros support 192KHz via headphone output.

And just to be sure, is HD800 a good match with SL 9018? It doesn't have to sound as good as it sounds with tube amps but there has to be good synergy. I've read mostly positive feedback about this pair.

Thanks a lot if someone cares to answer!

Mar 25, 2014 at 4:49 PM Post #1,587 of 1,995
Well i dont know about the sinergy between conductor sl and hd800
But some friends tried to compare soloist to soloist sl and they didn't like the sl version..
I have a conductor and no problem with usb so far
But For sure, unfortunately(for my wallet) with my usb/spdif bridge sound better- I use a concero hd that I had from before as a stand alone dac-
I'm still trying to convince me that the usb of the Burson is great stand alone, but then I connect the converter and I keep it plugged..
Of course you can connect it by mac optical..

Mar 25, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #1,588 of 1,995

Is the default USB interface really THAT bad? Could I avoid the problem by hooking my MacBook Pro via optical into the Conductor? Late 2013 MacBook Pros support 192KHz via headphone output.

And just to be sure, is HD800 a good match with SL 9018? It doesn't have to sound as good as it sounds with tube amps but there has to be good synergy. I've read mostly positive feedback about this pair.

Thanks a lot if someone cares to answer!

You can ask Burson to include the newest C-media module and issues are gone. They are related to compatibility (certain software) also the updated module sounds better if that means a lot for you. 

Mar 25, 2014 at 8:50 PM Post #1,589 of 1,995

You can ask Burson to include the newest C-media module and issues are gone. They are related to compatibility (certain software) also the updated module sounds better if that means a lot for you. 

I would have to buy the Conductor here from Finland where I live - it's over 100 euros cheaper even without taxes. It's really annoying that they don't include the better module by default with the device.

Mar 25, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #1,590 of 1,995

I would have to buy the Conductor here from Finland where I live - it's over 100 euros cheaper even without taxes. It's really annoying that they don't include the better module by default with the device.

Seems like a good price. From what i recall the issues were related with Jplay..i know the other guys here have more experience with the conductor and give you a more detailed answer on that. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back