Burson Audio HA 160 or Luxman P-1u
Apr 18, 2010 at 7:50 AM Post #16 of 27
I'll preface this by saying that I found the HA160 to sound excellent at its price point, doing wonders for my 300Ohm Sennheisers.

However, it simply has too much gain for IEMs. That and a stepped attenuator, meaning you can't fine-tune the volume. If you're doing most of your listening on the JH13, the HA160 isn't the amp for you.

Apr 18, 2010 at 8:36 AM Post #17 of 27
I am pretty sure than the P-1u is one of the quietest and have one of the blackest background, read some reviews that someone is fine with IEM on it.

Apr 18, 2010 at 6:54 PM Post #18 of 27
My thanks to everyone that responded. Is there anyone that could provide any additional input as to which of these two amplifiers is the better buy?
confused_face_2.gif

Thanks a million........

Apr 19, 2010 at 12:16 AM Post #19 of 27
Based on my research, the Burson amp is very powerful so it will suit headphones such as the senn. HD650 or 800 or AKG. I am ordering one this week. : )

For more sensitive cans, there is less room to play with their volume control. But they do have 2 outputs for two impedance ranges.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 19, 2010 at 2:06 PM Post #20 of 27
It appears that no one has listened to both of these amps to compare. I was REALLY hoping to get some definitive feedback on these two. The Luxman is quite an expensive investment...........

Apr 20, 2010 at 12:19 AM Post #21 of 27
The Burson appears to be based on the design of a cheaper amp I've owned (long story, don't ask). The Luxman is a far more high-end amp. You aren't paying serious money for it for nothing.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 20, 2010 at 6:10 PM Post #22 of 27
I have been using the headphone out of an old Luxman integrated amp (L-480 from 70s) for a few months now (with Denon AH-D7000). It does hiss a little but I much MUCH prefer its sound over a Music Hall PH25.2 I just auditioned. And quite frankly, seems like the MH had as much hissing or maybe just a little less... but I was expecting a modern dedicated headphone amp to sound fairly better than a 35 years old integrated... NOP!
My experience with Luxman early 80s gear has also been great, I loved my MO2-CO2 combo back then...
I have a feeling the P1u would probably exceed any of my (already positive) expectations as far as pure music enjoyment goes. My only concern is how much longer before I can afford one! 
rolleyes.gif
 tic tac tic tac

Dec 8, 2011 at 11:28 PM Post #24 of 27
In response to kunalrakers comments about the burson headphone amplifier.I seriously doubt what you say about the burson 160 amplifier.I have recently bought a lcd-2 rev 2 ortho headphone and until you have heard this combination i would not comment about the burson amp.When it comes to build quality you do not know what your talking about because the build quality of the burson is just astounding.I doubt very seriously that the luxman is any better built than the burson.I have had my burson for more than a year and have had no problems whatsoever with it.I suggest you visit the burson website and check out the bursons inner workings sometime, i have not seen an amp that is less than a thousand dollars that has the build quality of the burson.These aussies are obseessed with the build quality of this amp as well as the build quality of there other products just check out there website and i rest my case.                                        buson160man

Dec 9, 2011 at 12:31 AM Post #27 of 27

Quote:

umm... do you dredge up old threads that have negative comments about a product that you are personally attached to often?  Seriously, this dialogue has been dead for almost a year and a half...

I don't necessarily disagree with you but have you tried a Luxman?  Also, are you judging build quality by number of components?  That doesn't necessarily accurately guage anything.  I agree that the chassis is built like a tank though.

As for the OP's Q, there are definitely better matches for the LCD-2 at Luxman's US price point and the Burson is competitive for its price (especially used.)  But as he hasn't signed on in 16 months he either doesn't care or has figured out for himself.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back