Burson Audio Fun (2w pc Class A Headphone Amp)
Jul 19, 2018 at 11:32 AM Post #31 of 719
That would be ok, but on the Fun page we have:
Inputs: RCA (2V RMS line level), Mic Input
Outputs: RCA Pre-Amp / Headphone Jack / Mic out

Another site error ? I don't see the sense of a Mic out...

Jul 19, 2018 at 6:30 PM Post #32 of 719
That would be ok, but on the Fun page we have:
Inputs: RCA (2V RMS line level), Mic Input
Outputs: RCA Pre-Amp / Headphone Jack / Mic out

Another site error ? I don't see the sense of a Mic out...

Mic out is present and is in the rear of the unit. It is right next to the RCA out.

Had my Fun for about a week now and will do some thoughts when I get a chance though the quick version is that it sounds a lot like the Play. NO hum. hiss or anything bad though, so does not suffer from grounding issues, at least for me. I ended up getting the vivid version of the Fun and I really enjoy it.

THe Vivids are a lot more subtle of an effect on the Fun, not surprising given that is just 2 single op amps rather than 2 single 3 dual.

Fun has a ridiculous amount of power on tap. I have a digital preamp of -7.5db and I had to use the D50 to cut it by an additional -10 db to use it with my 650. Even with these settings I never need to past 1 o clock for even the highest DR songs I have.

It would work great with insensitive planars I am sure.

Jul 21, 2018 at 6:50 AM Post #34 of 719
Oh I did quote Asahi's email with Burson on that, no doubt the Fun is not the Play without DAC. It's also noticeable from the specs difference between the 2, but I do think they share some similarities.

[..]

They're not identical, but pretty similar, because they basically share the same "DNA" and most electronic parts are quite similar: same output transistors, same kind of op-amps used as voltage-amplification, same small transistors used to bias the final stage into Class-A etc.

However, FUN is powered from 2 x dual +/-17V rails, while PLAY is powered from 1 x dual +/-15V rails, so 4V more voltage for the FUN, not a game changer for sure, but usually that means a bit more output voltage and lower THD. Also, the symmetric-dual PSU from FUN is created by 4 x SMPS power regulators that are pushing lot of power into the output stage, so PRAT, attack and bass speed should be better on FUN (although, not sure someone could really realize that into an A/B test).

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2018 at 6:57 AM Post #35 of 719
Just "for fun" I was measuring the DC-output voltage while FUN has no input source connected:

2 x SS V6 Classic single:
  • after power-ON: right 10mV, left 12 mV
  • after 5': right 1.1mV, left 2.5mV
  • after >4h: right -3.4mV, left 1.6mV
2 x NE5534:
  • after power-ON: right 2.3mV, left 2.5 mV
  • after 5': right 2.2mV, left 2.3mV
  • after >4h: right 2.2mV, left 2.3mV

With both SS and NE op-amps the DC-offset voltage is very low, so FUN could be used with 16-ohms headphones without issues. Also, I've noticed the background noise is almost non-existent with my very sensitive 16-ohms IEMs, so quite a versatile headphone amplifier.

Seems that solid-state op-amps from BURSON need a few minutes to warm-up till their parameters are meet, so I recommend a 5 to 10 minutes warm-up prior to listening to your favorite songs. This is also a good thing for the capacitors inside FUN to warm-up a little bit, so it could be a good thing to do a bit of warm-up with most solid-state op-amps prior to listening to the music (well...tube amps need 20 to 30 minutes of warm-up). :)

Jul 29, 2018 at 9:45 PM Post #36 of 719
Thank-you for the follow-up. I was just trying to quickly use the Fun and I knew the preamps on the Play were available.

I have been listening to the Fun through using the Play as the DAC set at 45. I have used my HD600s, HE400is as well as my Utopias. I have been enjoying the music through the Fun. To me, it seems a little more detailed with the Vivids in the FUN. The Play has the the Vivids in the DAC section with the Classics in the amplifier section. There is no want for additional power as it drives all the headphones I have tried exceedingly well. The FUN is at slightly below 10 and and I would say the volume on the HE400is is near perfect listening to some Jazz. Right now it is Geoffrey Keezer's new album from his Kickstarter campaign "On my Way to You."

Aug 7, 2018 at 11:52 PM Post #37 of 719
Looks as though, in the PC-100, Burson® has an ideal reference bed for their DIP8 discrete dual amps. As shipped, the Japan Radio 5534D's are holding their places. How's the response and soundstage with a pair of V5's? V6 Classics? V6 Vivids?

Aug 8, 2018 at 4:41 AM Post #38 of 719
Haven't tried yet V5's, but the V6 Classic is increasing the soundstage and musicality a bit and the V6 Vivid is really detailed and perhaps a bit more (or upfront) soundstage.
However, the default 5534 sounds neutral and very powerful, so an excellent price/ratio.

FUN_frequency_response.png

2 x 5534 installed inside FUN

Aug 9, 2018 at 1:34 PM Post #39 of 719
Hi guys,
I've created a showcase item for the Fun and post what is perhaps the first review for it. Looking forwards to hearing your opinion, as right now I'm using the Fun with less than ideal DACs (Dragonfly, Schiit Fulla).

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/burson-audio-fun.23238/

Aug 10, 2018 at 1:07 AM Post #40 of 719
Your CON is actually a PRO to me, because FUN has an analogue pot, because the visual volume control of PLAY is created by the digital volume control board. That means lower background noise when using IEMs. When listening to IEMs the volume is usually nearby the minimum (10-15% or around 9 o 'clock), so PLAY gets all the noise generated by 3 opamp-stages/channel (I/V & LPF & VAS) and the output transistors, FUN instead gets only the noise generated by 1 opamp-stage/channel only (VAS) and the output stage, because the volume pot is reducing a lot the noise generated by the input source (suppose it's a DAC having I/V & LPF & some output buffer op-amp). I'm speaking about a small margin hear, most likely audible only with very sensitive IEMs and during the night, so take this with a grain of salt.

Also, the logarithmic potentiometer from FUN is easier to adjust than the digital one for sensitive IEM's.

Aug 11, 2018 at 9:50 AM Post #41 of 719
[...]

The Fun drives the Fostex T60rp with ease, and can just about do the HE-6 justice which is really impressive. I'll be using my HE-500 with it mainly.

I’ve tested BANG and realized is very low noise. With gain jumpers to LOW position you should drive HE-6 perfectly. Hope you do have the right adapter for this.

Aug 11, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #42 of 719
Your CON is actually a PRO to me, because FUN has an analogue pot, because the visual volume control of PLAY is created by the digital volume control board. That means lower background noise when using IEMs. When listening to IEMs the volume is usually nearby the minimum (10-15% or around 9 o 'clock), so PLAY gets all the noise generated by 3 opamp-stages/channel (I/V & LPF & VAS) and the output transistors, FUN instead gets only the noise generated by 1 opamp-stage/channel only (VAS) and the output stage, because the volume pot is reducing a lot the noise generated by the input source (suppose it's a DAC having I/V & LPF & some output buffer op-amp). I'm speaking about a small margin hear, most likely audible only with very sensitive IEMs and during the night, so take this with a grain of salt.

Also, the logarithmic potentiometer from FUN is easier to adjust than the digital one for sensitive IEM's.
That’s something new that I learned today. Thanks Raoul. I tested my FUN with a 32 ohm IEMs and there was no noise at all. Too bad I don’t have a 16 ohm here to try.

Aug 12, 2018 at 12:40 AM Post #43 of 719
I was testing FUN with 16 Ohms IEMs like this:
- setup the volume knob with a comfortable loudness to my ears
- stop the music (unplugg/short-circuit the RCA inputs)
- listed for the background noise

BTW, imagine an amplifier having the volume pot in the middle, between VAS and output buffers instead in front of VAS; the noise will virtually be null. That’s actually the design of the Objective2 amplifier, extremely low noise, although there are some trade-off made by the designer not everyone likes. :)

Aug 12, 2018 at 9:07 AM Post #45 of 719
Bang on Fun :D

Both stock op-amps, a little on the analytical side of sound, not quite as refined as my Keces S3 + S125. V6 op-amps on their way though.

The Fun drives the Fostex T60rp with ease, and can just about do the HE-6 justice which is really impressive. I'll be using my HE-500 with it mainly.

Did you review the units?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back