Burson Audio Fun (2w pc Class A Headphone Amp)
Jul 5, 2018 at 2:10 PM Post #16 of 719
I spoke with Burson and the fun is not just a play without the DAC. I also personally prefer having separates so you can upgrade one part over the other.
Oh I did quote Asahi's email with Burson on that, no doubt the Fun is not the Play without DAC. It's also noticeable from the specs difference between the 2, but I do think they share some similarities.

I look forward to trying the Fun with my Aune S16 too. The S16 is a terrific DAC but it comes with a $15 integrated amp. Pairing the S16 with the Play's amp unit would have been great (if it were possible), but now we've got the Fun.

Jul 5, 2018 at 6:16 PM Post #17 of 719
Personally I'd prefer Fun with some DAC of my own choice. There's nothing wrong with the Play's DAC, but I think it's just a typical sub-$100 DAC. I believe if paired with better (more expensive) DAC then the amp will realize its full potential.

I have the dual v6 Classic coming for the Play as well as a Fun. However, I also have the revised Play PCB board to replace the original. We'll see how everything compares.

Jul 6, 2018 at 12:23 AM Post #18 of 719
Oh I did quote Asahi's email with Burson on that, no doubt the Fun is not the Play without DAC. It's also noticeable from the specs difference between the 2, but I do think they share some similarities.[...]

From initial pics seen on BURSON's website seems to be a similar design, but with 2 x power supplies inside, so 4 power regulators instead of 2 like PLAY has inside. That translates into doubling the instant power, usually when bass kicks off, but also a bit more overall power and soundstage. Basically, 2 power supplies, one for each channel, means a better channel separations and soundstage, but also better transients.

However, till I'll got mine, I'm looking forward for your pics, thoughts and review, guys. :)

Jul 7, 2018 at 12:38 PM Post #19 of 719
Bang on Fun :D

Both stock op-amps, a little on the analytical side of sound, not quite as refined as my Keces S3 + S125. V6 op-amps on their way though.

The Fun drives the Fostex T60rp with ease, and can just about do the HE-6 justice which is really impressive. I'll be using my HE-500 with it mainly.

IMG_20180707_173527.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #20 of 719
Bang on Fun :D

Both stock op-amps, a little on the analytical side of sound, not quite as refined as my Keces S3 + S125. V6 op-amps on their way though.

The Fun drives the Fostex T60rp with ease, and can just about do the HE-6 justice which is really impressive. I'll be using my HE-500 with it mainly.

Hmm but how do you control the power on the Bang???

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2018 at 4:56 PM Post #21 of 719
Jul 7, 2018 at 7:01 PM Post #22 of 719
Fun is a preamp, it's got one set of RCA inputs and one set of RCA outputs :)
Oh I see. Seems like it also incorporates some technologies from the Cable Pro+, which unfortunately doesn’t gather quite a large following on Head-fi. I had the chance to review it last year though.

Jul 10, 2018 at 11:18 AM Post #23 of 719
My Fun is in.
First will be juicy macro shots. Followed by initial impressions. Review with Bang integration will probably be a month away, given that I haven't ordered one yet.
Stock unit for initial impressions.
Chord Mojo vs Mojo + Fun
20180706_164452.jpg 20180707_141914.jpg

Jul 10, 2018 at 8:18 PM Post #26 of 719
My Fun came as well. I have the V6 Vivids installed and right now have it connected to the Play. Since the Play's output is variable, I am trying to find that just right spot on the Play's volume. I did buy the PCB replacement board for the Play but have not installed it. For now, the Play has the V6 Vivids in the DAC and the V6 Classics in the amp section. I was breaking it in last night. I did order V6 Classics to replace the V6 Vivids but have not done it yet.

I will report back once I get some time on it.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2018 at 4:03 AM Post #27 of 719
The right volume for Play to use Line out is between 45-49. Mine at 47 has exactly 2V.

Honestly I don't understand why to use Fun with Play. Fun final stage is the same with Play. Just better power stage, But the signal from the Play already came from his amplifier - RCA outputs are connected to the Headphone jack, without any attenuation. This can only be worst for the signal. If Play Line Out was taken from LPF output then it was ok. But it isn't.
So Fun will be better if using with a different DAC with a real Line Out.
Play should be used with his own headphone amplifier. It might be however used with Bang as DAC and pre-amp.

Now, something else... I've told Alex last week there are some errors on their site on Fun and Bang price table, but it seems it skipped that part from my email. The errors are still there. :)

The Bang with V6 Classic seems to have 2 Dual OP-AMP's according to the price table.
Both the Fun and the Bang with V6 are more expensive than buying the Basic version and the OP-AMP's separately. And I don't think someone will notice a difference if changing the OP-AMPs from basic ones to V6 - the sound is already formatted by the DAC - this is where OP-AMP rolling counts.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back