Burson Audio Bang (29/8ohms, 40w/4ohms, PC, Class A/B Stereo Power Amplifier)
Nov 22, 2018 at 2:11 AM Post #31 of 69
Power OFF BANG, unplug the power plug, switch the gain setting vice-versa, put back the power plug and power it back ON to see the change.
To minimize the background noise I suggest leaving your BANG to the lowest gain setting.

Nov 22, 2018 at 10:08 AM Post #34 of 69
Yep I set it to "ON" and now I can go to 10. It also baffles me why it's set to High gain by default. I have all these big @ss speakers and the Bang drives all of them very comfortably.

Has anyone tried connecting the Bang to a "pure" DAC? Will it be deafening?

Nov 23, 2018 at 12:32 AM Post #35 of 69
[...]

Do you mean to connect it to a DAC not having pre-amp/volume-control?
Not sure it's recommended, even if the built-in operating system volume-control could be used. Without being able to control the output volume and visualise the output level before pressing the "play" button on your player could damage you ears or...the amplifier itself, epsecially if high-gain is to be used.
After all, BANG with PLAY are like Yin and Yang. :)

Nov 23, 2018 at 3:19 AM Post #36 of 69
Yep I set it to "ON" and now I can go to 10. It also baffles me why it's set to High gain by default. I have all these big @ss speakers and the Bang drives all of them very comfortably.

I guess, high gain is for connecting directly the smartphone or dap to the Bang, controlling the volume from the software. Many smartphones don't produce more than 1V output voltage, so it would make sense to offer the high gain. If used with a real preamp, like Play or Fun, then it should be for sure on low gain.
Besides, not all loudspeakers are sensitive like Klipsch, which are famous being easy to drive. Using moderate sensitive speakers or even floor-standers, might make you raise the volume a little bit higher than 5.

Nov 23, 2018 at 3:45 AM Post #37 of 69
I guess, high gain is for connecting directly the smartphone or dap to the Bang, controlling the volume from the software. Many smartphones don't produce more than 1V output voltage, so it would make sense to offer the high gain. If used with a real preamp, like Play or Fun, then it should be for sure on low gain.
Besides, not all loudspeakers are sensitive like Klipsch, which are famous being easy to drive. Using moderate sensitive speakers or even floor-standers, might make you raise the volume a little bit higher than 5.
Both the Bang and the Fun have been “power overwhelming” for me. I really don’t have any headphones or speakers that would require 1/5 of their power

Nov 23, 2018 at 3:46 AM Post #38 of 69
Yes, you're right.
High Gain is for devices like smartphones who are not able to deliver a 2V standard Line-Out. They deliver about 1-1.2V
Low Gain is for standard 2V max input.

As the standard Line In is 2V, I believe the default factory setting should be Low Gain. But they use the High Gain for whatever reason.

For Play , even Low Gain is not so good as at 99 the Play provide 9V on Line Out.
2V is provided somewhere in the 45-49 range - depending on what op-amps are inside. That's the reason you cannot go too far with the volume in Play. Depending on your speakers and room 10-20 is maximum you can get before the volume is too loud.

Nov 23, 2018 at 3:52 AM Post #39 of 69
Do you mean to connect it to a DAC not having pre-amp/volume-control?
Not sure it's recommended, even if the built-in operating system volume-control could be used. Without being able to control the output volume and visualise the output level before pressing the "play" button on your player could damage you ears or...the amplifier itself, epsecially if high-gain is to be used.
After all, BANG with PLAY are like Yin and Yang. :)
Yes, you're right.
High Gain is for devices like smartphones who are not able to deliver a 2V standard Line-Out. They deliver about 1-1.2V
Low Gain is for standard 2V max input.

As the standard Line In is 2V, I believe the default factory setting should be Low Gain. But they use the High Gain for whatever reason.

For Play , even Low Gain is not so good as at 99 the Play provide 9V on Line Out.
2V is provided somewhere in the 45-49 range - depending on what op-amps are inside. That's the reason you cannot go too far with the volume in Play. Depending on your speakers and room 10-20 is maximum you can get before the volume is too loud.
I accidentally left the Play at 45 (which I remember to be around line level) and while it was quite loud it was still bearable. So far the Bang have been a more “realistic” sounding amplifier than my old Denon and my current Marantz. Perhaps, in the Play > Bang combo, swapping dual op-amp in the Play would result in the most audible change, but so far I’m far too happy with Play Vivid and Bang 8920 to bother any experimenting

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2019 at 2:14 PM Post #40 of 69
Burson Bang

GmnWf8E.jpg

Package

Bang’s package is very Burson-like package. It includes everything you need to run Bang without wasting your money on promotional material (stickers, posters etc…)

JijbTBJ.jpg

fjkn919.png

V8zrrHf.jpg

Performance

Case is very well made and it is available only in black color. The amp itself is relatively small compared how powerful it is.

Bang’s PCB is very clean and the design looks very high quality. Right at the opamp socket there are two DIP switches fro Low and High inputs

MaNUbgw.jpg

vTlzoFQ.jpg

eTdqOli.png

I wanted to test Bang in a bit different way compared to other fellow reviewers. Because I’m not using any speakers with my PC thanks to my Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pros I’ve decided to test Bang with my Marantz SR6011 AV receiver in Atmos setup. My four ceiling speakers are Mangat ICQ 82 (RMS 120W / 200W Max, 4Ohm). You can see my connection in the picture below.

bicpYKi.png

The actual performance was very good. Movie sounds were punchy and even at Live concerts (Hans Zimmer – Live in Prague) you can definitely feel the music all around you which is quite amazing considering that you are just ‘watching TV’. Channel separation was good too. I hope that if only I could power all my speakers with this beast. (Burson are you reading this? :p) I think this is just one of many ways to prove how good Bang can actually be. You can use it as a regular A/B amp and you can even use it as a second amp for your Atmos setup. Atmos is still quite rare but it is definitely getting more popular as the people are learning about it’s existence.

Zhu9Wrj.png

Verdict

In general Bang is an amazing amp. It’s definitely something we would like to see more of other vendors too. With the all advantages of Bang I would like to see more advanced models with eg. remote control, power control by main amp (auto turn off and on), more power for more powerful speakers, maybe some ‘Atmos’ editions too.

If you are looking for a very solid A/B amp have a look at Bang. Just make sure to pair it with the proper speakers.

Mar 15, 2019 at 4:31 AM Post #42 of 69
"That's a 60% discount for the Bang Basic and 33% off the Fun Basic. "

That makes BANG the cheapest gainclone amplifier in the history of Earth. :) Seriously, a DIY stereo kit (2xLM3386T), case and PSU included, is above 300 USD. I wonder if the $199 is a mistake or not, I can't possible find any explanation for the moment, but whoever needs BANG, FAN or both, just go for it now, because it's a steal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back